Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th October 2010, 10:23   #1
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Default 1.8T running too cold

Hi All,

This mornings frost means I have to resolve this.

The history > The car has had HGF that was repaired, then a Turbo failure, again repaired.

After the Turbo was done, the car has never ran at optimal temperature, so I asked Andy Willi to change the small Thermostat, and he did this had no effect, so we changed the PRT and again, no effect.

BigRuss then did a T4 session, ran the car up to temp 105 and fan kicked in etc etc.

If I am static, the temp takes it time, but it does get up there, however if I am moving, especially on the motorway, the car can run as low as 60degrees

So chaps any thoughts? as this morning after a frost I couldnt get any heat coming through and its only going to get worse.

As a note, my coolant from the HGF is not crysal clear pink as yet, its still a little muddy coloured, even after 3 changes of fluid dont know if this could affect things.

Thanks
Simon
Old 20th October 2010, 11:21   #2
Jud75T
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

having JUST gone through HGF (in a BIG way) myself .. something not right with your coolant colour at all .. am in no way tech myself and have to have mechanics working on mine, but after HGF and subsequesnt system flush, new coolant added .. it should not look muddy at all IMO

Sorry, that didnt really answer your question.

best
Jud
Jud75T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 18:25   #3
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

[QUOTE=sikelsh;603897]Hi All,

After the Turbo was done, the car has never ran at optimal temperature, so I asked Andy Willi to change the small Thermostat, and he did this had no effect, so we changed the PRT and again, no effect.

If you have a PRT you shouldnt also have an original thermostat, just an orifice plate, which is just an old type thermostat without the wax capsule.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 19:36   #4
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

the temperature gauge as you know is useless,it should reach the mid way at 75c and remain there,obviously you will see movement on the gauge on the motorway with the temperature dropping to 60c.

i would replace the PRT to be on the safeside
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 20:57   #5
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Change the PRT again? surely it cant be that, that would mean that instantly the last PRT was stuck open from fitting as the it had no effect last time.
Old 20th October 2010, 21:32   #6
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

the new PRT could be faulty,it happens..

the coolant temperature readings are supplied to the OBD by the coolant temperature sensor which gives a reading of the temperature of the coolant leaving the head,check this with a known good one.

are you having any problems with the cars performance? does the car idle smoothly etc.
Old 20th October 2010, 22:04   #7
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

I heard the PRT's can be faulty, its just another £50 job just to test it, I just wondered if it could be something else.

Regards the idle, I wouldnt say its perfect, there is small fluctuation, Russ picked up a miss on the T4 which he described as very small and suggest coil packs as I have already changed to NGK plug,

In terms of performance it runs great, quite nippy and smooth when you boot it.
Old 20th October 2010, 22:15   #8
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

well if the car moves ok under heavy acceleration i would say you have no problems with the coil packs.

my main concern regards the idle,if this is rough and fluctuates and with the readings regarding the coolant temperature i would say the coolant temperature sensor is at fault.

the ecu compensates for this when the car is idling,over fueling and a rough tick over..check the sensor with a known good one
Old 20th October 2010, 22:47   #9
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

hows the heater working ? if the gauge is reading low temp then you may have air in the system .when you say it takes time to get the temp up ,are you comparing it to say 3 weeks ago .it will take a bit longer as 3 weeks back it might have 20 odd aready ,mine this morning read 5 hen i went out this morning .i got to where i was going and it was still only on 85.one thing i dont understand is that you say you changed a small stat and the prt, i thoght the stat was in the prt ,pressure release thermostat .. the little thing in engine is just dummy one ..
still maybe i have missed something ..
Old 20th October 2010, 23:06   #10
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

I cant really answer the question about the stat at the rear of the engine, all I know is I was there when Andy was swearing like a trooper fitting a small disc object at the back of the block that looked like this

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-PEL10016

So maybe I have 2 stats now, the PRT and the above?

the point is that the cool running started before changing any stats, in summer it would only get as high as 69 on the motorway, even in 24 degree weather.

Anyway, ill give the coolant sensor a go, I think the part I need is this?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ADU7161P

Thanks
Simon