Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2011, 15:36   #11
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

The coolant level will always rise as it gets hot, so the true level can only be taken when cold. So you are probably losing coolant whilst driving when the system is pressurized and this is not obvious until cooled.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 15:44   #12
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbie View Post
The coolant level will always rise as it gets hot, so the true level can only be taken when cold. So you are probably losing coolant whilst driving when the system is pressurized and this is not obvious until cooled.
good point..

always check the coolant level with a stone cold engine and maintain the max mark tab viewed inside the tank,fill above the max mark and it will be thrown out of the cap.

it's a good idea to change the cap as procedure,for little expense.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 16:03   #13
celicaman
Loves to post

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 1.8T

I can vouch for coolant being thrown out if overfilled, had mine flushed and vacuum filled and Gerry Tee fitted, picked it up from garage and when I got home (7 mile run) thought I`d have a look at my shiny GT there was coolant splashed over the air box and calcified (spelling?) coolant on top of the radiator, when cool I checked and even after the stuff thrown out it was still 2cm over max, god knows what they used as a guide to set the level.
celicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 19:39   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicaman View Post
I can vouch for coolant being thrown out if overfilled, had mine flushed and vacuum filled and Gerry Tee fitted, picked it up from garage and when I got home (7 mile run) thought I`d have a look at my shiny GT there was coolant splashed over the air box and calcified (spelling?) coolant on top of the radiator, when cool I checked and even after the stuff thrown out it was still 2cm over max, god knows what they used as a guide to set the level.
I've not had to put any coolant in my diesel for the four years that I have owned it.
When checked with the engine cold it has remained at 3cm above the max mark all of this time.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 20:07   #15
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

same here
Old 19th March 2011, 21:15   #16
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
In a 1.8T, that's a significant loss and therefore a significant risk. The primary cause of HGF in these engines (or any other engine) is loss of coolant leading to excessive overheat. The 1.8 cooling system is well known for leaks and all are identified in the forum discussions. You may even find a list of them if you do a search.

TC
spent all evening looking at coolant loss discussions. need to find out where these engine items are....or get a haynes..
greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 08:45   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendriver View Post
... it only seems to lose coolant after a run, as it cools over the following 24 hrs.
Andrew,

As your car will be stationary during this time, try to find out from where the coolant is escaping. Or are you basing this on an observation of the level dropping in the expansion tank?

Also, as Pab says, ensure that you do not exceed the Max mark otherwise coolant may well be ejected.

Simon.
Old 20th March 2011, 08:57   #18
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

Hi Simon

fitted some replacement rings to the tank cap this morning. One had been missing. This has not cured the fault but needed doing anyway. Topped up with 50/50 coolant/tap water.

Within a few minutes, occasional drip started by the drivers front wheel. Could this be the water pump, which I am having replaced with the cambelt on Thursday? I have ordered the following parts for the inlet manifold (hope it's the right one!) and the belt etc:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The hoses seem ok but I don't trust myself to take anything apart...
Old 20th March 2011, 09:05   #19
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendriver View Post
Hi Simon

fitted some replacement rings to the tank cap this morning. One had been missing. This has not cured the fault but needed doing anyway. Topped up with 50/50 coolant/tap water.

Within a few minutes, occasional drip started by the drivers front wheel. Could this be the water pump, which I am having replaced with the cambelt on Thursday? I have ordered the following parts for the inlet manifold (hope it's the right one!) and the belt etc:

The hoses seem ok but I don't trust myself to take anything apart...
this is the area of the water pump,have you noticed any pink residue on the power steering reservoir where the coolant has been flicked up by the drive belt?

water pumps on this engine do seem to fail rather quickly,see if you can find the genuine article.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 09:20   #20
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

had a quick look. I don't think manifold gasket is to blame, the drip is further forward and lower down, but I don't have the space to get underneath.

The water pump is unipart

Thanks for your hints, by the way, it all helps. At this rate I wont have to identify the bits as "that big metal thing with pipes coming out of it behind the large flat thing that looks like it's been pulled out of a beehive...."ect.

There is a growing wet patch on my road...