Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th March 2007, 23:42   #21
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Options that can be turned on/off with a T4

Daytime running lamps on or off (aka VOLVO!)
Speed locking on or off
Lazy lock and vent (using the door key not the fob) on or off
Single point entry (one press to open drivers door, second press for rest)
Headlamp delay on or off
Tail lamp delay on or off
Number plate lamp delay on or off
Intelligent wipe (wiper speed goes down a notch under 5 mph) on or off
Programed wash wipe (no program or 2,3 or 4 wipes)
One shot down on or off
One shot up on or off (drivers window only with 4 electric windows)
Bathrobe locking (car can be locked from outside with engine running
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 16:35   #22
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

Default K series History

When Rover was bought out from BAe by BMW, the company was an integrated organisation producing most major components itself, with the exception of the Honda sourced mid size and V6 engines for the 400/ 600/ 800 and some gearboxes.

With BMW on board, the Honda link was cut and this was what lead to the development of the K series to 1.6 & 1.8 litre (out of necessity I suspect). All K engines were built at the Longbridge engine/ gearbox plant. The Honda engine in the 800 was hastily replaced with the early version KV6, which as I understand was designed in a bit of a hurry and had horrendous reliability problems with many reworked and replaced under warranty. This engine was built in lowish quantities and was seriously re-worked for the 75, giving us the reliable power unit we now have.

BMWs long term goal was to integrate their own engines into the Rover ranges intending to used their own engines (from their new factory at Hams Hall in NE Birmingham), which would have gone into the 75 plus the new mid range car under development (Rover 300??). This would presumably have finished the K series engine range - but of course we know what happened next......

When BMW bailed out, R75 production transferred to Birmingham and the Mini to Oxford. They took the Cowley assembly plant (now BMW Oxford for the Mini), the Swindon pressings plant, Solihull (Land Rover to Ford), Gaydon Development centre (to Ford) and the Longbridge Engine/ Gearbox Plant, (leaving the body/ assembly plant to Phoenix). This was later transferred back to the MGR/Phoenix undertaking as part of the settlement and was registered as a subsidary company known as Powertrain Limited. This of course in the main fed Longbridge for the 25, 45 and 75, the Z cars and the MGF/ TF, but also supplied the likes of Caterham, Lotus and the like. Engines produced were the K4, KV6 and the L series Diesel, and briefly the A series for the "proper" Mini that finished in 2000.

This arrangement lasted until the end, although I seem to remember hearing that the engine/ gearbox plant ran for some time after the Longbridge car assembly operations stopped, as the Powertrain plant was supplying K 1.8 and K 2.5 to Solihull (Land Rover) for the Freelander. I suspect that LR were desperate to build up a stock of engines to keep the production of Freelanders going, until re-engineered for Ford sourced power plants. Of course, the Freelander for some time also used the BMW sourced M47 engine fitted in the 75.

Any errors in the above, I'm sure someone will give me a slap and correct my prose.

Last edited by Keith; 23rd March 2007 at 19:13..
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 23:43   #23
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Recalls for R75's

13/3/2000. 8,550 cars VIN RJ 001242 to RJ 127623 built between Feb '98 and Oct '99 recalled to correct crankshaft position sender fault which could cause the engine to cut out whilst the vehicle is being driven

11-07-2002: 12,592 75s from VIN RJ001242 to RJ133299 recalled because "vehicles operating in high corrosion areas may experience fracture of the front suspension road springs" which may lead to puncturing of the inner wall of a front tyre. Front springs to be replaced.

12 May 2004: 33523 75's from VIN: RJ133300********* to RJ247257*********
Description: Possible damage and deflation of tyre due to road spring
Defect: There is a possibility that if a front road spring failed at the lower end, it could contact and damage the tyre.
Action: Recall affected vehicles and fit an additional lower road spring retention fixture which will protect the tyre in the event of a spring failure

July 2002 Tow Bar recall

Cars built from approximately November to December 2001 may have been fitted with aftermarket (i.e. non-Rover badged) tow bars which do not incorporate sufficient mounting points to the vehicle body. Owners of affected vehicles should have been contacted directly by MG Rover, and asked to take the car to their nearest dealer for examination .MG Rover-branded tow bars are not affected by this recall.

Last edited by Kandyman; 13th May 2007 at 19:56..
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 10:14   #24
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default Pollen filters

Loads of info
http://www.puravent.co.uk/filters/di...lterdesign.htm
and not bad prices
http://www.puravent.co.uk/filters/dispfilter.pl?id=195

OEM Pollen filters from ECP on Ebay:-
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/E-CAR-PARTS-LTD
Nick Daldry
E Car Parts
28 Tyne Road
Sandy
Beds
SG19 1SA
01767 682100 / 900

Last edited by GreyGhost; 10th March 2008 at 23:23..
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 11:49   #25
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default ECU Doctor details

Following a successful repair of Tony Gs cdt ECU I contacted the ECU Doctor Tony used and asked about their services, repairs to water damaged ECUs and the possibility of recoding second hand ones from breakers etc

Note in his reply he clearly knows about the plenum issues!

I am pleased to say he is willing to offer members a discount I suggest if you intend to use his services you mention the club name and your user name when initially contacting him for a repair.

Hopefully companies like this will save some members some money!

"Hi Keith,
Thank you for your email and valued enquiry. Our company does have an extensive (well fairly!) knowledge base and experience of rebuilding the petrol and diesel units fitted to the vehicles driven by your fellow club members.

Water damage is indeed a problem exacerbated by the poor position the unit is installed, bearing in mind our weather and falling leaf problems in Autumn.

Regarding the Rover 75 CDT the first signs of water damage (if not too extensive where obviously a no start situation occurs) can be failure of tacho and temp gauges, rear screen demister and air con.

We cannot remap or recode the units fitted to later Rovers. The operating system is integral with the security.

Our company does not charge a test fee if unable to fully test any unit. Also it waives the test fee if unit is found defective and the rebuild is undertaken by us. Every rebuilt unit is warranted for 12 months and we shall be pleased to offer a ten percent discount to your club members (which we offer to offer car clubs to encourage club participation generally in the industry).

The ECU Doctor Limited
Hemerdon Lodge
Boringdon Road
Plympton
Plymouth
PL7 4EA
Phone/Fax 01752 346437
Mobile 07956 542162

mailto:[email protected]
Old 15th May 2007, 21:38   #26
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default Sound clip of the dreaded Manifold rattle

Sound clip of the dreaded Manifold rattle

For reference
http://media.putfile.com/Mg-ZT-190-Vis-Fail-Noise
Old 19th May 2007, 21:43   #27
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default Vis motor failure observations

Three cars three stories

I repaired what was a brand new vis motor for Mike in the week, one of the Micro switches and become physically dislodged rendering the entire motor useless and Mike as a result had a subsequent loss of performance.
I had not really expected a new motor to suffer such a problem as this normally happen after time due to the soldered joints to the micro switches failing. Hence why Mike sent it to me in case there was something more sinister going on like his ECU was sick !

Yesterday (18 may 2007) I had two cars in for T4 sessions

Car one, in for a pre service check both Vis motors failed to budge, as the owner is selling the car he decided to tell the new owner he might need to get new ones so I got on with sorting out his jammed bonnet release and a couple of other jobs the car needed.

Car two a newly acquired MG ZT 190, 2003 plate with only 21,000 miles on the clock, in for a post purchase check and a good thing he did too!

Both Vis motor completely dead just the on board relay clicking during the diags test I must admit I have never seen a car with so few miles on it with both motors completely dead, I was at first wondering if my T4 was on the blink!

This owner wanted them fixed if poss so out they came both Vis Motors had the normal oily mess in them! The Power Valve Vis motor was the normal dry joints on the micro switches so I did the standard screw down mod re assembled and tested ok.

Then turned to the Balance Valve Vis motor again one of the micro switches had a dry joint so I repeated the screw mod and re soldered everything fitted it to the car and nothing, still just a few clicks.

I took it apart again and looked more closely one of the tracks on the PCB that goes to the motor was burnt out, did a repair, and also did a direct test on the motor itself using a spare battery, it turned but blew my 2.5A fuse. Sure enough putting it back in the car just burnt out the other track on the PCB.

It seems to me the Vis motor PCBS have a couple of thin tracks designed to act as fuse-able link possibly to protect the ECU if the motor fails goes dead short or something equally horrid. In the case of this one I think the oil contamination had done it in.

So the moral of the above
Vis Motor failure are not just to be expected after a higher mileage the new owner of the above 190 had no idea he was missing a huge chunk of performance and obviously test drove and accepted the car in that condition only a day or two earlier.

If you get the chance get yours tested asap on T4 (and no this is not a plug to come to me, just get them checked somewhere) it does not take long 30 minutes max and even then frankly I have seen so many of these that are intermittent due to the switch soldered joints failing you really ought to mod them anyway as per the howto in the howto forum and then get them tested.
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:36   #28
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default Everything you will ever need to know about clutch faults

These PDFs from LUK are very comprehensive and cover all sorts of generic clutch problems

http://159.51.238.62/remotemedien/me...ose_PKW_en.pdf

http://159.51.238.62/remotemedien/me...loquium_en.pdf

A bit of technical blurb on the DMF

http://159.51.238.62/remotemedien/me..._k7_chap01.pdf

And I once found a DMF fault finding guide produced by Luk as a wall chart but for now ! can't find it
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:18   #29
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Lifetime replacement clutch guarantee offer

Quinton Hazell are well known in the aftermarket spares world. Brakes, water pumps, alternators etc under their own name and manufactured as O/E for several car manufacturers.
Advert in June Car Mechanics details a lifetime guarantee scheme for clutch parts.
They confirmed to me that they supply clutch slave, clutch plate and pressure plate for Rover 75/MG ZT through motor factors. Local (Cambridge) factors quoted :-
Slave :- £111.54 + VAT
2 Part clutch kit £100.74 +VAT
Local garage quoted 5 hrs labour, total £200 for fitting, 1.8 and V6 engine.
A warranty from Quinton Hazel can then be purchased for £15 for a lifetime replacement guarantee. This includes the fitting garage claiming back the fitting charges.
Not suggesting this is necessarily a cheaper fix but does provide a level of insurance in the event of a failure (which seems to be fairly common with the O/E slave cyl. replaced on members cars)
Check garage is Q Hazell assured member/ lifetime guarantee programme.

Last edited by Keith; 23rd May 2007 at 12:18..
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 18:22   #30
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default CDT Bosch Maf Alternative from Xpart

As posted in the news section

XPart have begun a programme to find new manufacturers for the more unreliable parts for our cars. The Bosch MAF sensor for Diesel versions was mentioned where XPart are using the market muscle and massive resources offered by the Caterpillar parent company to commission alternative design and production of more reliable and long lasting units. The new part, sensor element ZUA000050SLP fits all M47 Diesel power units, and is a direct replacement for the original part number MHK101130.

If XPart is able to continue this new push to provide more reliable parts then we will all benefit.

Best of all this part is actually now excelent value miles cheaper than the dreadful Bosch original

I phoned E Car parts for a price and the retail before any discount they give was £71.43 + vat but were willing to knock 10% off that. I tried Furrows to double check but were not answering the phone!