Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd August 2015, 12:12   #1
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Smile Epson printer.

I have an Epson XP312 printer which was working recently, then would not print. I checked the status and the ink levels were greyed out. I put new aftermarket inks in and the printer will print a test page but nothing from my pc. The ink levels are still greyed out. I have uninstalled it and back again. The printer was working with aftermarket inks previously. Any advice please?. John.
lathbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:04   #2
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathbury View Post
I have an Epson XP312 printer which was working recently, then would not print. I checked the status and the ink levels were greyed out. I put new aftermarket inks in and the printer will print a test page but nothing from my pc. The ink levels are still greyed out. I have uninstalled it and back again. The printer was working with aftermarket inks previously. Any advice please?. John.
Have you checked the cable, I assume you have it plugged in to a USB port.
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:16   #3
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Hi John, Do you get the cartridge not recognised error?

Do you have your printer hard-wired to your PC, or are you using Wifi?

Some aftermarket Epson cartridges can be poor quality, they may not have had the chip reset correctly or the cartridge contacts may be slightly out of line with the contacts in the printer, try wiping the chip contacts and reinstalling the cartridges again.

Failing that, have you done any updates to your PC, or has your Epson printer software had an update direct from Epson?

Last edited by Dallas; 2nd August 2015 at 13:30..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:20   #4
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Do you know whether the after-market inks you bought were chipped to register with the printer? If not, the printer may well refuse to acknowledge them, and will not print.
You may have to buy some which ARE suitably chipped. I use similar inks (on the same printer) which are a darned sight cheaper than Epson's own, but work fine.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:28   #5
Dallas
This is my second home

Rod is correct, Epson printers are well known to rejected aftermarket cartridges for no reason, even though you have been using that cartridge for some time. Epson make it hard for the user to use aftermarket inks by gearing the software in a certain way to combat the use of cheap inks.

Some Epson aftermarket inks can be poor quality, poor inferior chips, or a chip not being correctly aligned with the corresponding contacts inside the printer. Epson cartridges need to have the cartridge chip reset, its well known for many aftermarket cartridges not having the chip reset correctly, these are the ones normally bought cheaply from a ebay seller.
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:31   #6
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Rod is correct, Epson printers are well known to rejected aftermarket cartridges for no reason, even though you have been using that cartridge for some time. Epson make it hard for the user to use aftermarket inks by gearing the software in a certain way to combat the use of cheap inks.

Some Epson aftermarket inks can be poor quality, poor inferior chips, or a chip not being correctly aligned with the corresponding contacts inside the printer. Epson cartridges need to have the cartridge chip reset, its well known for many aftermarket cartridges not having the chip reset correctly, these are the ones normally bought cheaply from a ebay seller.
I would in that case have expected Status Monitor to show its displeasure
The fact that it is greyed out, and a self test print works suggests that it isn't connected, wither by cable or wi-fi.
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:41   #7
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayH View Post
I would in that case have expected Status Monitor to show its displeasure
The fact that it is greyed out, and a self test print works suggests that it isn't connected, wither by cable or wi-fi.
Read my post #3, this is why I have asked John does he have the printer connected via cable or wifi.

I also asked John has he done any updates to his PC, or has his Epson printer software had an update direct from Epson... meaning either a PC connection problem, or a software issue that's stopping his PC detecting the printer.

FAO John, if your printer is connected over wifi, try turning off your modem and back on again. Sometimes internet traffic and other Wifi devices can causes connection problems.

Last edited by Dallas; 2nd August 2015 at 13:54..
Old 2nd August 2015, 14:01   #8
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Read my post #3, this is why I have asked John does he have the printer connected via cable or wifi.

I also asked John has he done any updates to his PC, or has his Epson printer software had an update direct from Epson... meaning either a PC connection problem, or a software issue that's stopping his PC detecting the printer.

FAO John, if your printer is connected over wifi, try turning off your modem and back on again. Sometimes internet traffic and other Wifi devices can causes connection problems.
Read my post #2
What I was meaning is the cartridges are working on a test print, read OP, so unlikely to be a cartridge problem
Old 2nd August 2015, 14:15   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayH View Post
Read my post #2
What I was meaning is the cartridges are working on a test print, read OP, so unlikely to be a cartridge problem
But! I wasn't the one quoting/questioning your post was I. ref post #6.

We are all tying to help John, there is no need to try and make-out other members posts/ideas are wrong.

Last edited by Dallas; 2nd August 2015 at 14:18..
Old 2nd August 2015, 14:36   #10
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
But! I wasn't the one quoting/questioning your post was I. ref post #6.

We are all tying to help John, there is no need to try and make-out other members posts/ideas are wrong.
I'm sorry you feel that I was questioning you or making out that your information was wrong. Indeed we are all trying to help John and I was simply trying to prioritise the things to check first.

Ray