Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st December 2015, 21:45   #1
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Default Hi Line upgrade

Been thinking of getting a fuller sound out of the highline for a while now - posted a bit asking questions, but want some feedback on my latest idea.

In my garage from previous cars I have a set of Kenwood 13cm speakers, some Infinity 6x9's a Kenwood 10" sub in a box, a Fly active sub box with Magnat 10" sub installed (amp is a small Fly approx 100W RMS) and a Sony xplod 22w RMS 2 channel amp. I know the Highline doesn't have pre outs for the amps but the Sony amp will take a speaker level input if I can get hold of a cable.

I was thinking of either

1. Get hold of sony cable (link if anyone knows who sells them) and run the kenwood sub on it taking a feed from the BMW connector in the boot, earth and switched live in the boot, run a power cable from the battery through the car to the boot.
Not wired up an amp for years - will this work and which wires on the bmw connector can I take a feed from keeping the speakers in the car still working.

2. Source a 5 channel amp with speaker level inputs and preferably filters for the outputs so low pass on the sub, high pass for the door speakers and put the whole lot through the amp.
Will this work? Will the sound in the car be better with the lows filtered from the door speakers and provided by a sub in a box in the boot - I think it will but wondered whos done it. Again which wires can I cut into.

Decided not to replace speakers in the doors, the sound is fine, just distorts when you try to give it bass - should be able to go louder with the bass filtered???

looking for feedback on the ideas, links, experience of trying it etc.

Thanks

Gordon
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:51   #2
colintf
Posted a thing or two

ZT260SE TF160 ZT135+

Checkout the latest modified upgraded bm54 units onnthe Carphonics website - transforms the hi line totally
MGCC Z Register Rep for V8 ZT / ZTT's
http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htmhttp://www.mgfregister.org/
colintf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 22:40   #3
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by colintf View Post
Checkout the latest modified upgraded bm54 units onnthe Carphonics website - transforms the hi line totally
I've not heard one but for the price I could buy a 5 channel amp which I think should be as good for the existing speakers plus run a sub?? I've heard a standard highline with BM24 added which was basically slightly louder but same quality. I can't imagine the sound getting a lot better without adding a sub or upgrading door speakers - may be wrong, which is why I'm asking for opinions

Is yours HK Colin?

Thanks

Gordon
Old 5th December 2015, 10:40   #4
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyB View Post
I've not heard one but for the price I could buy a 5 channel amp which I think should be as good for the existing speakers plus run a sub?? I've heard a standard highline with BM24 added which was basically slightly louder but same quality. I can't imagine the sound getting a lot better without adding a sub or upgrading door speakers - may be wrong, which is why I'm asking for opinions

Is yours HK Colin?

Thanks

Gordon
The system sounds only as good as the amp that drives it.
The BM24 makes a huge difference over the standard Highline tuner amp.
Standard - 4x 7w (yes, 7 watts)
BM24 - 4x 30w
BM54 - 4x 40w

Main difference in the modified Becker units is the ability to reproduce sounds at a louder volume without distortion.
A BM24 on standard speakers will sound like a new system, only then would I change the speakers. Get Coolcat to recommend some good components.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 15:31   #5
colintf
Posted a thing or two

ZT260SE TF160 ZT135+

Quote:

Is yours HK Colin?

Thanks

Gordon
I have these upgraded bm54 in the cdti and v8 even with standard speakers the difference is amazing
MGCC Z Register Rep for V8 ZT / ZTT's
http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htmhttp://www.mgfregister.org/
colintf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 22:47   #6
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Thank you both,

Sounds like a good start would be use my existing sub and amp and add a BM unit - whatever I find cheap on ebay

I've ordered a cable I need to run the amp from a speaker level input signal. I take it the bmw connector on the existing amp will have the connections I need? - can I "T" into them so that I don't loose signal to the rear speakers i.e. the L and R, + and - signal outputs feed the existing rear speakers and the 4 inputs for the amp hi lev inputs? I will also need a good earth point and switched live plus run my power cable from the battery - sure I've seen this covered in other posts.

Anything else I've missed?

Thanks again

Gordon
Old 2nd April 2016, 17:35   #7
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Quick update

Today I cut into the loom in the boot and took a speaker level feed from both of the rear speaker cables to the line level input of the Sony amp I have. The amp has adjustable gain and a built in LPF and sub output, which I have connected to the 10" sub in box. The main power to the amp I have run through from the front but I took the REM or switched supply from the switched live in the loom in the boot. A quick play with the gain to stop the bass overpowering the rest of the system and it sounds so much better, I'm pleased at the improvement for a few hours work and some old parts gathering dust in my garage.

I need to "borrow" a BM amp now to see if that will make much difference or whether I should do the front components next???

Just for info, my highline setup includes component rears, whereas I've read a few posts saying components in the fronts only with coaxial speakers in the rear is the factory norm??? Front and rears are the same in mine, is this normal for non-HK highline cars (mine is a PPD)?

Gordon
Old 7th April 2016, 18:02   #8
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Quote:
Just for info, my highline setup includes component rears, whereas I've read a few posts saying components in the fronts only with coaxial speakers in the rear is the factory norm??? Front and rears are the same in mine, is this normal for non-HK highline cars (mine is a PPD)?

Gordon
Looks like cars with highline did have rear tweeters, along with some other models.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=124248

There is also a thread where the OP states how much difference the BM24 unit makes - http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=134505

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote