Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th July 2016, 19:26   #1
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Default CDT Turbo operation question?

Does the turbo give a shove to the accceleration?

Or does it come in progressively and mainly unnoticed?

Only had one car before with a turbo really that was the Citreon BX 17 TZD and on that you could hear the turbo whistle as it spooled up but that was years ago.

I believe that the CDT has a turbo does it not? but have not heard it not seen it so wondering .
Old 29th July 2016, 19:32   #2
KeithA
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conny Tourer Auto

On mine it is pretty inoculous in operation. I suspect if it wasn't operating well that's when you'd notice! I use a cheap bluetooth obd and I've seen nearly 17psi boost with hard but not quite flat out acceleration....as about 21 is standard max I assume mine at 110k is working ok. Suggest investing about £4 on ebay and doing the same check?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Old 29th July 2016, 19:32   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plezier View Post
Does the turbo give a shove to the accceleration?

Or does it come in progressively and mainly unnoticed?

Only had one car before with a turbo really that was the Citreon BX 17 TZD and on that you could hear the turbo whistle as it spooled up but that was years ago.

I believe that the CDT has a turbo does it not? but have not heard it not seen it so wondering .
it is steady and progressive..

if you are looking for more then a 160 remap is the way to go...
Old 29th July 2016, 21:58   #4
Plezier

Thank you both ........................ my problem is that I have not driven her much or far. To the MOT station twice and to a local garage to let them fit the lower arm bush. Ok it's 7 miles to the MOT station and about the same to the garage used and from there is was about 11 miles to the MOT garage.

So am just getting used to her. The diesel is quite different to the V6 .................. very different. I just have to get used to her that is all. Checking the manual I see that the sensor form the manifold I cleaned is the boost pressure one so she must have a turbo then.

Once we get her taxed then we can do a bit of driving and find out what she is really like.
Old 29th July 2016, 22:15   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Thank you both ........................ my problem is that I have not driven her much or far. To the MOT station twice and to a local garage to let them fit the lower arm bush. Ok it's 7 miles to the MOT station and about the same to the garage used and from there is was about 11 miles to the MOT garage.

So am just getting used to her. The diesel is quite different to the V6 .................. very different. I just have to get used to her that is all. Checking the manual I see that the sensor form the manifold I cleaned is the boost pressure one so she must have a turbo then.

Once we get her taxed then we can do a bit of driving and find out what she is really like.
all the diesels have a turbo, but there are a few things that can make them seem sluggish...

check

air filter
maf
intercooler
o rings
top hose
egr
intake manifold
pcv filter
map sensor
itp and ubp
fuel filter

160 map..
Old 29th July 2016, 22:27   #6
Plezier

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
all the diesels have a turbo, but there are a few things that can make them seem sluggish...

check

air filter ................. done almost new pure wite still
maf ................. Nope not done
intercooler .............. Cleaned and dekoked hose to EGR
o rings ............. ......not done but they appear fine
top hose ............. Which one is this?
egr .............cleaned and decoked.
intake manifold ........cleaned as best i could
pcv filter ............... not done yet.
map sensor ........... not found this yet so not done.
itp and ubp ......... Both are new.
fuel filter ........... Not checked as yet

160 map..
The very first Rover 75 I looked at and actually drove was a Diesel Tourer in Norfolk and it was a right Dog! rattled and was very sluggish and had oil everywhere all over the engine and the bay. I think at least both rear springs and possibly front were broken as she sat really low and dragged herself on bumps etc. So I walked away that was before I bought the 2.5 V6 Connie.

Hence my asking as I want to know what they should drive like. one thing noticable from the KV6 is how much noiser they are. The Connie was very quite with the exhaust note making more noise than the engine. You can hear the engine in this CDT.

Last edited by Plezier; 30th July 2016 at 08:45.. Reason: Typo Error......... 6 should have been a 5.
Plezier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 22:40   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
The very first Rover 75 I looked at and actually drove was a Diesel Tourer in Norfolk and it was a right Dog! rattled and was very sluggish and had oil everywhere all over the engine and the bay. I think at least both rear springs and possibly front were broken as she sat really low and dragged herself on bumps etc. So I walked away that was before I bought the 2.6 V6 Connie.

Hence my asking as I want to know what they should drive like. one thing noticable from the KV6 is how much noiser they are. The onnie was very quite with the exhaust note making more noise than the engine. You can hear the engine in this CDT.
Yes you can hear the engine of the Cdt turbo, but not atall when travelling even at 90. You can not really hear the turbo, and it is progressive. the power just keeps coming. There is a slight push at around 1850 revs. don't forget that this vehicle is a refined cruiser, not a race car. You can not compare a 2.5v6 with a cdt. Chalk and cheese.
Old 30th July 2016, 08:07   #8
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

As everyone has said - very linear acceleration. Mine has the 160 remap. No real shove as with some diesels, but meaningful acceleration all the same, when in the power band. As Peter(Klarzy) says check engine is running right. It does well for such a small turbo. It must spool up quickly as it is small, but then runs out of puff a little more readily, so why you don't feel the turbo kick.

Never heard the turbo whoosh.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 08:52   #9
Plezier

Do not know where this turbo whoosh came from and I think it's stupid! The BX17 TZD never had nor needed it yet the turbo obviously worked on that. You really noticed it on inclines and hills like on the motorway as it just flew up them. With the BX19RD a N/A engined car youu had to increase the pressure on the throttle pedal slightly to maintain speed on hils and that engine was no slouch in fact they fitted the same engine into their 35cwt vans.

Come to think of it the 6.4T Iveco recovery I drove the trubo on that didn't make this whoosh either and was pretty silent too.

Will see how the CDT performs after Monday .
Old 30th July 2016, 14:52   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

if you have a cdt dont expect much from it, turbo or not, they aint that good. the cdti is noticably quicker on acceleration.
Even a 160 remap dont make it a sports car.

they are plodders and very nice plodders they are too

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote