Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th November 2016, 09:59   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Diesel clutch replacement Essex area

Well after put it off for 2 years my clutch has finally given up now at 190k so can't complain. Bite point has dropped right down now and it's pretty hard to change gears, takes quite a bit of force. And a lot of heavy juddering when pulling away.

Does anyone know of any garages or mechanics down Essex way who do clutch replacements on diesel ZT's at a good price? What's the going rate now?

Has anyone ever used Mr Clutch, there's one in Southend that's done other cars for us before but never a 75 or zt.

Cheers,
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 10:03   #2
colintf
Posted a thing or two

ZT260SE TF160 ZT135+

i would try asking Steve Tyler at British Legends.
MGCC Z Register Rep for V8 ZT / ZTT's
http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htmhttp://www.mgfregister.org/
colintf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 10:06   #3
KeithA
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conny Tourer Auto

Rick I'm having one done today at an indie so will feed back. Alternatively what about the mgr place at Wickford?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Old 18th November 2016, 10:27   #4
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

If you can get to Milton Keynes, Phil-T4 does clutches for a reasonable price and good quality parts (Borg and Beck/LUK I believe).

Do not use Mr Clutch- they use horrible cheap parts, and give a heavy (often juddery) pedal afterwards (I know a local ZT owner who got his clutch done there, and regretted it !)
Pete

Last edited by EastPete; 18th November 2016 at 11:53..
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 12:44   #5
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default Clutch replacement in Essex

There's a small outfit in Chelmsford that used to be called Chelmer Rover but changed to something non-Rover specific when it changed hands a year or so back. They do still deal with a lot of MG's and Rovers and my ZT is actually there today having a service and few other bits and bobs done. I can't remember exactly what their hourly rate is but think it's reasonable, and would think they'd be fine doing a clutch. They will also use genuine parts. Worth a call for a quote - the number is 01245 465601.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 16:49   #6
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
If you can get to Milton Keynes, Phil-T4 does clutches for a reasonable price and good quality parts (Borg and Beck/LUK I believe).

Do not use Mr Clutch- they use horrible cheap parts, and give a heavy (often juddery) pedal afterwards (I know a local ZT owner who got his clutch done there, and regretted it !)
Pete

Mr Clutch use national clutches.

They do warrant them for two years, and in truth they'll probably last that long, but National Clutches have two good points - 1) they're functional, not pleasant, but they work 2) they're cheap.

The second of those two good points doesn't apply when bought through Mr Clutch.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 17:40   #7
shasbat3
Gets stuck in

Jaguar S type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.mc.g View Post

They do warrant them for two years, and in truth they'll probably last that long, but National Clutches have two good points - 1) they're functional, not pleasant, but they work 2) they're cheap.

The second of those two good points doesn't apply when bought through Mr Clutch.
My brother put his sons diesel 75 into mr clutch about 5 weeks ago. They said it needs a complete clutch including dmf and a slave cylinder. Quote?....£1,300. Car came back and all was well until 2 weeks ago when pedal went to floor. Mr clutch said it needed a new master cylinder (already changed the first time according to the receipt) "yes it was changed sir but it failed"
So, now with new master cylinder fitted all is well again until yesterday when pedal again went to floor and stayed there. My brother received a call this afternoon to say the new slave cylinder had failed and they've changed it again. Apparently, and I quote "this damage was caused by soot from a slight leak in the flexi exhaust and the soot being blown back into the clutch assembly". Needless to say my brother told them he didn't believe that was the case and he wouldn't be paying any more(not in those words of course.
Anyway, point of all this is definitely don't use mr clutch.
shasbat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 17:46   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.mc.g View Post

Really, you do surprise me

Phi-T4l will do a decent job, and use quality parts too

I don't think a trip from Essex to Olney is that bad either, top up the clutch and just do it

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 18:22   #9
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

If you match revs to gears, I believe you can change gear without using a clutch. An art form, I've never needed myself.

Hopefully, one of these fine chaps can give the low down on what revs to use, etc.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 19:23   #10
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

If you are in the thurrock area rick, give me a PM and I will gladly put you in touch with my mechanic who is very knowledgeable and sorted my ZTT clutch.
Grays/S. ock' area.
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote