Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th January 2017, 14:00   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default Water in the footwell, the usual suspect?

Hi guys

been out to the new V6 since the rain last night and there is water in the driver's footwell. I knew buying a car with a sunroof was a no no lol!

I have checked the driver's side plenum by the wing top (under where Jules plenum guard sits) and it has a bung in? is this right on later models?

I have also found a receipt that says drains cleaned and modified, but it doesn't say "what" drain.

The water is kind of to the side of the bonnet release near the A post and is about 5" by 5", but the top over mat feels dry?

is this the dreaded sunroof issue? Or something else? its only driver's side I can feel it, and the car is parked nose down, so that might not help.

If its the sunroof, what is the mod, and do any of the tech guys on here do it, as I won't be able to bend down after my op.

Cheers

Dawn
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 14:08   #2
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts View Post
I have checked the driver's side plenum by the wing top (under where Jules plenum guard sits) and it has a bung in? is this right on later models?
Yes, later models have the drivers side drain blanked off as its too high to drain anything.

It does sound like the sunroof drains, but I'd check the lower plenum drain to be sure. (It can't hurt, might even save a flooded ECU in time...)
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 14:13   #3
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

The plenum chamber is empty as I rodded it yesterday, so I need a man who can with the sunroof drains, then...
Old 15th January 2017, 14:25   #4
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

It is most likely the sunroof drains that are blocked & the water backfills into the car. The original connection is just a push fit & not a very good seal.

Modifying is a little awkward but after I did both our zts I've never had water back in the car. Arctic did a how to on fixing the issue.

You'll need 2 x plastic hose type connections see pic.

I think I may have 2 left over from my old zt.
I never bothered doing the rear of mine only the fronts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (141.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by wullie480; 15th January 2017 at 15:10..
wullie480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 14:31   #5
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I found Arctic's article, but I won't be able to bend down that far after this week, as I go in for my operation. I'll have to try and put a cover on until I can get it to someone!
Old 15th January 2017, 15:12   #6
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts View Post
I found Arctic's article, but I won't be able to bend down that far after this week, as I go in for my operation. I'll have to try and put a cover on until I can get it to someone!
It's not an easy mod & a little awkward to do. I hope a local member can assist.
No need for a cover if you can clear out the original drain that would do as a short term fix.
Old 15th January 2017, 15:20   #7
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

How do I clear the drain?
Old 15th January 2017, 15:31   #8
geoffh
Regular poster

Rover 75 con. Saloon

When I did mine I used a net curtain spring long enough to go all the way through, I bought it from a local market stall and just fed it through from the top drain hole inside the sun roof fitting, it took a bit of time but got there eventually. The only problem is that you could dislodge the original drain in the foot well area so go steady. I did the mod after and had no further problems.
geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 15:37   #9
Mike24
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Auto Saloon Connoisseur SE

I did mine by rodding them with a length of the flexible curtain wire you get for net curtains. Be sure not to be too vigorous though, as the joint under the dash where it goes through the bulkhead can be pushed apart if you're not careful. One of the problems with the original design is that the outlet from the drain behind the wheel arch liner has a kind of duck's bill end on it. Once this gets blocked with sediment (which happens quite quickly in this weather) the water backs up and finds its way out into the footwell. Part of the mod is to cut the end of the off to allow freer drainage.
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 15:56   #10
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Check the scuttle clips. I noticed a wet passenger footwell and after much searching came across scuttle clips cups letting water in if they break, and it wasnt easy to find out! Some people even argued water couldnt get in that way.

On the drivers side gently check the scuttle clip is tight and that the cup its sits down below isnt cracked

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...43#post2429343
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote