Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th September 2017, 06:09   #1
Teemu84

MG ZT-T

Default Another Airbag Fault

I got an airbag warning light on my MG ZT-T 03. At first I thought it was the connections under the seats. I got those connections apart and sprayed some WD-40 on them. I waited a bit and started the car and no more light. But the next day problem came back and I got them apart again. This time the light stayed on. I tried again and cable tied the connections that they are really tight and won't get loose. But the light is still on... What to do next?

The light goes off for a second when starting and then illuminates again. When I took the fuse off the light stayed on constantly. Is this something that can be useful information?

Should I remove the blue and yellow connections and try soldering them? Or does it seems that the problem is somewhere else than in the connections?
Teemu84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 19:28   #2
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

You need to read the SRS ECU faults as the problem could be elsewhere. TOAF will do this if you buy and modify a lead for it. Otherwise you need T4 or a garage with comprehensive diagnostic kit to read it.
Old 9th September 2017, 22:17   #3
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

As above T4 will diagnose the problem as an SRS fault can be a number of things, if you have a sunroof and have not done the drains mod you could check under the carpets for any water as the side impact sensor is located on the cabin floor and is often the next port of call once you have eliminated the under seat connectors as it can get wet and fail

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 05:17   #4
Teemu84

MG ZT-T

Ok. I'll try to find a garage with T4 first. I have a sunroof, and I don't know if the drains are stuck, I could check them too.

Are the side impact sensors on both sides of the car? And how deep are they? I mean do I have to tear down half the interior to get there?
Old 10th September 2017, 06:33   #5
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Had the same problem on mine turned out to be the seat belt pre-tensioner, the part that the buckle on the belt plugs into by the handbrake. Replaced that and never had a problem since.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 07:35   #6
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu84 View Post
Ok. I'll try to find a garage with T4 first. I have a sunroof, and I don't know if the drains are stuck, I could check them too.

Are the side impact sensors on both sides of the car? And how deep are they? I mean do I have to tear down half the interior to get there?
Yes both sides under the carpet and mounted front facing on the seat cross members held in by 2 torx bolts , there is an excellent how to on sunroof drains by Steve you can look at and worth checking even if it is not your problem this time around as they almost all leak eventually and the foam under the carpet is so thick and absorbent it can often hide the problem for ages before the carpet starts to get wet

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 08:13   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Another vote for a T4, takes all the guesswork and frustration out of finding the cause, solving it by trail and error can get expensive as well. Like Bob mine was down to a duff seat belt pre-tensioner.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 09:30   #8
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

Or you could put the money you'd have to pay the garage towards buying yourself a Pscan. It will diagnose faults on engine, ABS and airbag systems on our cars.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 13:39   #9
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu84 View Post
I got an airbag warning light on my MG ZT-T 03. At first I thought it was the connections under the seats. I got those connections apart and sprayed some WD-40 on them. I waited a bit and started the car and no more light. But the next day problem came back and I got them apart again. This time the light stayed on. I tried again and cable tied the connections that they are really tight and won't get loose. But the light is still on... What to do next?

The light goes off for a second when starting and then illuminates again. When I took the fuse off the light stayed on constantly. Is this something that can be useful information?

Should I remove the blue and yellow connections and try soldering them? Or does it seems that the problem is somewhere else than in the connections?
WD40 is not the correct thing to use at all! It can cause more issues down the line. Proper electrical contact cleaner is what you want as it doesn't leave a residue.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 10:15   #10
Teemu84

MG ZT-T

Today it was diagnosed by the garage. Fault code was b1028 and it stated that it is the rightside pretensioner at the backseat. This was odd, because according to mechanic my car doesn't have pretensioners in the back seat at all!

Does anybody recognize the fault code or have a clue what does this backseat pretensioner mean?