Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th June 2020, 10:55   #1
Alan_M
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer + saloon

Default Front lower ball joint cover replacement

I’ve read through the how to’s, but have a couple of questions

Is a 18mm flexi head spanner essential. I have just about every other type of spanner and socket, including crows feet sockets, but not a flexi head ratchet spanner.

Will I need to have wheels realigned? I’ve only just bought it, so may well get alignment checked anyway.

Thanks
Alan_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 22:47   #2
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

The 18mm flexi head ratchet spanner is worth its weight in gold for the rear bushes on the front arm, nothing special needed to access the ball joint cover.
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 23:40   #3
Alan_M
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer + saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy600 View Post
The 18mm flexi head ratchet spanner is worth its weight in gold for the rear bushes on the front arm, nothing special needed to access the ball joint cover.
The how to on the forum says you need to undo the rear bush carrier to allow the arm to swing down low enough to separate from where it’s held by the pinch bolt. So I guess I’d best invest in some nice shiny new spanners.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:02   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_M View Post
The how to on the forum says you need to undo the rear bush carrier to allow the arm to swing down low enough to separate from where it’s held by the pinch bolt. So I guess I’d best invest in some nice shiny new spanners.
That is completely incorrect, there is more than adequate clearance to separate the lower arm from the swivel hub without undoing the rear bush from the subframe.

A different matter if the whole arm is to be replaced of course

To separate the joint, equip yourself with a 65mm exhaust clamp U bolt, undo the pinch bolt and remove, fasten the U bolt loosely around the bottom of the arm, then thread a pinch bar or similar long bar though the U bolt and the bottom of the arm, and then tighten the U bolt up finger tight.

Tap a large flat screwdriver into slitted part of the hub joint, then stand on the end of the bar, and the joint will separate.

The trick with separating parallel joints like this, is keeping the pin parallel when you dismantle, and reassembling them, and if this technique is employed any time this joint needs to be separated, then you will never split the joint cover boot ever again

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 11:35   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

nice one brian.best tip ive heard in a long time.! since my rotty x lab died 2 years ago at the age of 14 yrs (bless him ) I have used his chain choker around the control arm but that will now go back in its box. thankyou for this super alternative.... xsport
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 12:19   #6
Alan_M
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer + saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
That is completely incorrect, there is more than adequate clearance to separate the lower arm from the swivel hub without undoing the rear bush from the subframe.

A different matter if the whole arm is to be replaced of course

To separate the joint, equip yourself with a 65mm exhaust clamp U bolt, undo the pinch bolt and remove, fasten the U bolt loosely around the bottom of the arm, then thread a pinch bar or similar long bar though the U bolt and the bottom of the arm, and then tighten the U bolt up finger tight.

Tap a large flat screwdriver into slitted part of the hub joint, then stand on the end of the bar, and the joint will separate.

The trick with separating parallel joints like this, is keeping the pin parallel when you dismantle, and reassembling them, and if this technique is employed any time this joint needs to be separated, then you will never split the joint cover boot ever again

Brian
Thanks, sounds like a better plan.

I have a 70mm exhaust U clamp - will this be too big and slip? Ive also got 2’ crow bar or 2’ pry bar - do you think these will be man enough?

The cars about 25miles from me at my sister’s farm, which is miles from nearest small town, so need to make sure I take everything I need with me. Otherwise it could be an hour and half trip to get something.
Old 18th June 2020, 12:28   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:

I have a 70mm exhaust U clamp - will this be too big and slip? Ive also got 2’ crow bar or 2’ pry bar - do you think these will be man enough?
The longer the pry bar, the easier it will be. On trucks, I used to use a scaffold tube as an extender! "Give me a bar long enough and I could move the world"! (Paddy Harney 1970)
Old 18th June 2020, 14:39   #8
Alan_M
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer + saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
The longer the pry bar, the easier it will be. On trucks, I used to use a scaffold tube as an extender! "Give me a bar long enough and I could move the world"! (Paddy Harney 1970)
Cheers, I’m sure I’ve got about a 5’ length of scaffold tube somewhere.
Old 18th June 2020, 14:47   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:

The cars about 25miles from me at my sister’s farm, which is miles from nearest small town, so need to make sure I take everything I need with me. Otherwise it could be an hour and half trip to get something.
The bar will be more than long than enough, and a 70mm U bolt should be ok too, the only risk with a larger U bolt is the tendency for the "straight" section to bend.

My own preference is an 18" long crowbar, which is more than long enough

If you are concerned about the U bolt, buy another enroute to the job, it's always handy to have one kicking about in the toolbox

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 16:42   #10
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
since my rotty x lab died 2 years ago at the age of 14 yrs (bless him ) I have used his chain choker around the control arm but that will now go back in its box. thankyou for this super alternative.... xsport
I too use a short length of smallish chain to strap a 3' length of 1" conduit to the suspension arm , then stamp on it . Works every time
But the U-bolt is a nice alternative