Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd June 2020, 19:55   #1
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default ZT 120 Braking ability.

I've heard it said you should drive an MG "like you stole it".
Saw just that this very morning on the my to work- a Grey ZT going for it good style. As it happens, it was my car. On extended loan to our youngest lad, and he (just) had tme for a wave before vanishing over the Horizon in a cloud of dust.
His driving stye is 'extrovert', and has made me wonder about braking ability. My own feeing is that the ZT stops adequately, but doesn't make my eyes pop out my head the way the brakes on the wifes Alfa do.

From searching here it seems some folk are fitting bigger brakes from the 190- going with bigger discs and calipers. I'm wondering if anyone has a quick fix to improve braking ability. Different pads? Trick discs?

Tyres and brake fluid brand new, system well bled, passed MOT easily a couple of months ago.
skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:49   #2
colintf
Posted a thing or two

ZT260SE TF160 ZT135+

190 brakes fitted to my cdti, made a big difference, good for towing as well
MGCC Z Register Rep for V8 ZT / ZTT's
http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htmhttp://www.mgfregister.org/
colintf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:01   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I found the brakes on my diesel would loose 'feel' under hard or continuous braking, but they did haul the car up noticeably. I did the 190 upgrade (confirm they will fit under your wheels fitted, if you are considering this). I changed and flushed the fluid. After the brakes were incredible.

I would consider a full flush initially though, as the 1.8 is something like 200kgs lighter than the diesel auto that I have. A change in fluid normally restores a good feel and strength back into a system. Since this would be a relatively cheap and quick process, I would go down this route first.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2020, 22:03   #4
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Thanks Gents. I had to replace a couple of brake pipes for the MOT, so brake fluid completely changed then. 200 kilos is a fair weight difference- that's 3 people! I'll have to dig a bit deeper into upgrading the braking system. Car has 18 inch wheels, do gives me room if I need it.
Cheers.
Old 23rd June 2020, 22:40   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Thanks Gents. I had to replace a couple of brake pipes for the MOT, so brake fluid completely changed then. 200 kilos is a fair weight difference- that's 3 people! I'll have to dig a bit deeper into upgrading the braking system. Car has 18 inch wheels, do gives me room if I need it.
Cheers.
Did you change the pipes, or did a 'mechanic' do it?

ie did they do a complete change, or just a top up and bleed? It may be worth even at least bleeding it just in case there is air in the system.

I cannot make a direct comparison to my own, as I changed it when I change to the 190 set up. However, flushing my mother's brake fluid made her brakes go from spongy to pulling your lungs out through your ribs lol.

There are a number of potential issues, that could be at the heart of your problem.

With the previous recent work, I would check the condition of the calipers, (as it is free), do they move freely, are the slider pins greased? Then visually inspect the fluid at the master cylinder (should be a very light golden colour). Visually check the pads and discs.

If the above all checks out, I would flush fluid through to be sure - even if when the fluid was changed, how fresh was it? Making sure any air is completely bled out of the system. If there is an issue with bleeding it, it could be joins introduced via the new pipework or new fittings, they could be drawing air and therefore moisture into the system.

Beyond that, it could be time to consider new/better pads, and then discs, you would be looking at around £100 to do this. But if you were to go down this route, think about the 190 upgrade. The 190 upgrade could be around £200-300, so that £100 would be wasted.

The fluid in the image attached was my mother's, 2 years after it was supposed to have been changed. (the fluid in the pipe is fresh)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93679864_10159557901408294_3605406856358395904_o.jpg (61.1 KB, 13 views)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 06:45   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I like spirited driving, and never seen the need for 190 brakes.....and in the case of the performance levels offered by NASP 1800 cars, you would be fine with single leading shoe non servo assisted drums all round

In other words, don't waste your time

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 15:41   #7
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Afternoon Brian.
The 120 should be fine with single leading shoe non servo assisted drums all round.
Ouch!
I'm pleased (I think) to say our lad was wringing quite a bit of life out of her. I like a nice gap between me and the Guy in Front, so don't often need heavy braking. Lewis is different, and I was hoping he wouldn't be using my car to give someone a 1420 Kg X-Power grey suppository!

Hi Clf- changed the pipes myself and took the chance to completely flush the system. Bled as carefully as I could, so don't think it's air in the system. Removed the calipers and cleaned /lubed the slide pins. The pads on the car had almost no wear so left them on. Don't know the brand. I think they had been changed by previous keeper prior to lay-up.

To be clear, the car stops OK, and might only really be suffering from comparison to a car with very aggressive brakes.
If the reputation of Italian drivers is true, perhaps Alfa feel emergency stopping is high on their list of essential features.