Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th May 2021, 22:00   #1
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Default waterless coolant

have any of our members been down this route ? have not seen it mentioned at all recently. is it a viable alternative albeit expensive ? .. .. often wondered.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2021, 07:04   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

There have been numerous threads about it. This is the result of a forum search.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2021, 09:49   #3
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Evans has worked on my friend's Jaguar Mk10 for the past 5 years. They are known for overheating in queues, particularly getting into car rallies/shows, but this has cured the problem. An expensive fix, but does work.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2021, 10:18   #4
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

thankyou coolguy. this is what i was asking about. if other members have indeed tried it. it makes sense to try to keep the pressure down on the cooling system i suppose.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2021, 11:04   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Did you look at the forum search I posted The first thread about waterless coolant is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
I posted some time ago re me using Evans waterless coolant on a Kv6 and stated I would report back .
Now I’ve had it in one of my kv6 Rovers for about 4 years ( maybe longer as the previous owner had it in it)
I can report that the car has run perfectly in both cold and very hot weather over here.
s stated, only slight difference I found was that the fan kicked in slightly earlier
in very hot weather( 36c plus)
The cooling system has not suffered any of the small leaks on the radiator, water pump, thermostat or pipes that all my Oats coolant cars have and it has never needed any sort of top up in all those years.
As the system never really builds up any pressure seems all the parts seem to last longer.
I took one of the radiator hoses off to have a look at the inside and it looked like brand new inside.
So , in conclusion, I would have to say , yes it costs a bit more initially BUT I think the savings in radiator, pumps etc is well worth it

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2021, 11:24   #6
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
thankyou coolguy. this is what i was asking about. if other members have indeed tried it. it makes sense to try to keep the pressure down on the cooling system i suppose.
..and of course unless you are unfortunate enough to have a leak you never have to touch it. Also saves on antifreeze as well. Rimmers sometimes sell it on offer, but not at the moment!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 08:50   #7
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

One advantage must be the lack of pressure generated due the the higher boiling point. I would suggest that will equate to less pressure cycling differentials across the elastomer seal bond on the K-series head gasket, and hence reduced failure potentially
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 18:57   #8
crown
Gets stuck in

mg zt saloon

I am thinking about using this in my brand new engine i recently acquired from lovel.
Mark

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]mods so far; auto boot lift mod, stainless steel back box, jvc double din head unit, vibe speakers, black oak dash, plenum mod, refurbished hairpins, retro fit illuminated sun visors k & n air filter,aero wipers.retro fit electric rear blind.
roewe front bumper with mg grill badge.new turbo vac pipes.

Last edited by crown; 30th May 2021 at 18:59..
crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 20:08   #9
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

My main worry with the stuff is having a hose failure on the road. I know the low pressure is supposed to lower that risk, but if for some reason (abrasion, etc.) and you had to top it up with water on the road you would have to go through the expense of using their special flush and completely refilling the coolant when you got home.
Not likely I'm sure but that would be my concern.
Old 1st June 2021, 14:56   #10
oilman

Rover 75 Saloon

Personally I would not bother with waterless coolants.

To date, man has not found a better liquid to transfer heat away from an intrernal combustion engine than water. Nothing comes close. The down sides to water is it can corrode and it freezes, that is why the antifreeze side of it is added, to prevent the corrosion and freezing. The water does the cooling.

To take the water out, and replace with a glycol based waterless coolant, is removing the bit that transfers the heat away the best, it is less efficient by some margin. Glycol can not get anywhere close to water when it comes to heat transfer.

As for pressurised systems, if it starts to boil with water based coolants it is a good thing, this is a warning to say something is wrong, either by design or by fault and that should be addressed. Without the system boiling over it will just get hotter and hotter, potentially causing other damage.

Cheers,

Guy.
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote