Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th June 2021, 08:04   #1
mgj11
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Resistor for fan

I have been trying to recommission my air-conditioning there are no leaks and it’s fully gassed but it’s still not getting cold. I then thought about the fan It’s not kicking in at low speed I thought I could replace the resistor with a gold one but when I remove the bumper there is no resistor and it doesn’t look like there’s any wiring can anyone offer me any advice thanks
So far, retro fitted cruise control, MG7 climate controls, Android head unit, Leather electric seats fitted, 12v socket in chubby, Shark fin with DAB, FM & GPS, auto dimming rear view mirror, power-fold mirrors & Audi style side repeaters .
mgj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 08:24   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

If you don't have a resistor then you will have the earlier type fan. This is identified by the fact it has four wires entering the motor. Sometimes these can be re brushed at a very low cost but sometimes the motor is beyond repair. Have a look on here for re brushing three speed fans.
If you decide to replace the fan then the two speed fan with a resistor is plug and play providing you replace a petrol set up with a petrol set up and a diesel set up with a diesel set up and there are various aftermarket options.
One thing to note is that although petrol and diesel motors are the same the relay boxes are totally different and not interchangeable.

The only other variant is some 1.8 petrol models are fitted with a three wire two speed fan, these suffer the same problems as the four wire fan with the brush failure. (As yours is a KV6 it should not apply)

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 08:26   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Marcus, your 2004 model will almost certainly have the later 2-speed fan system, but if you don't see the low speed resistor mounted on the fan frame, you should try to confirm it. You'll probably have to release the fan frame mounting bolts to allow a closer look on the rear side of the assembly. It's not unknown for the resistor to have been mounted out of site near the speed control relay box. Also check the rear side of the motor and count the wires entering it. A resistor contolled motor has only two wires. If there's more than two, you have the earlier version. If it is a resistor controlled system, I'd be inclined to fit the replacement (gold) unit on the fan frame brackets where it will receive maximum cooling.

TC (EDIT: late again)

Last edited by T-Cut; 6th June 2021 at 08:29..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 08:43   #4
mgj11
Regular poster

MG ZT

Thanks for the reply looks like four wires going into the motor so it’s probably an older fan from the parts bin or replacement.
So far, retro fitted cruise control, MG7 climate controls, Android head unit, Leather electric seats fitted, 12v socket in chubby, Shark fin with DAB, FM & GPS, auto dimming rear view mirror, power-fold mirrors & Audi style side repeaters .
mgj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 09:36   #5
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

A friend of mine has an 04 mk2 75 and his car was fitted with the earlier 3 speed fan. We found a 2 speed with the modified gold resistor on eBay and it was a simple plug and play straight swap . His air con is now nicely chilled now.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2021, 07:11   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgj11 View Post
Thanks for the reply looks like four wires going into the motor ...
Hi Marcus,

If you're DIY-minded new brushes, custom made for the 75/ZT, are very inexpensive from here (do not buy inferior parts from eBay). You'll find excellent pictorial guides for the job by Arctic.

The three speed fan is much quieter in operation than the two speed and I can confirm that the new brushes are very high quality and will outlast the originals.

Simon