Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st April 2022, 14:45   #1
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Question Power steering leak/smoke

Afternoon, I’ve had an annoying power steering fluid leak on and off over past few months. The pump has been very noisy at times, usually in the colder mornings. I did put some Forte power steering ‘conditioner’ in and the pump has become a lot quieter. Just back from a bit of a long run, stops at slip road and I can see smoke coming from front offside out under bonnet. Then the no charge light flashed up and the went away after stopping/starting the engine. I reckon it’s power steering fluid that’s dropped into either the alternator/belts or both and then starting to burn off and smoke?? Light grey and not fuel smell. The drip is back again. Nipped into local garage who said problem was ‘a Rover’ - (helpful) and then insisted I’ve got an oil leak, asked him to point it out to me - couldn’t. The car has never burnt or lost any oil from the day I bought it (it’s a diesel). They need it up on a ramp to see what’s what, I’ve offered to clean it all up but said no. Now how can you see where anything is leaking from if you don’t clean all the mess up and then look for the ‘fresh leak’?
Schotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 17:36   #2
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Update: I reckon the smoke is the alternator burning. Tested output and couldn’t get a reading, battery is very low. So I think a new alternator is on the cards
Old 1st April 2022, 17:46   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Should have changed that pump.--It did give you a warning .---

Things ignored do tend to cause all sorts of problems as you have now found out.

Hence the saying-------A stitch in time saves nine.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2022, 05:34   #4
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Red face

It could be that the PS fluid has got into the sliprings, and burnt them.
Time to change the alternator AND repair the PS pump, while you're there.
The gasket that goes between the 2 halves of the PS pump is known to leak badly, especially as all pumps are now ~20 years old, but only costs ~£8.

Use of Forte power steering conditioner is a warning of things to come, not a cure unfortunately. You have my sympathies. Been there with my alternator and PS pump, got the T-shirt and the bill !

As stated, a stitch in time....

Last edited by MarkS; 2nd April 2022 at 16:06..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2022, 19:53   #5
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Red face

Have you changed the crankshaft pulley ?
When the rubber perishes, the pulley may (intermittently) slip, and, in my case, gave off smoke, and slowed the alternator enough to (occasionally) give a battery warning light.

It took me AGES to actually catch the pulley slipping.
Putting the AC on, provided enough load, to finally catch the crankshaft pulley slipping....

I call my car "Perseverance" (& a few things that the swear filter would object to) for a reason !!!

Last edited by MarkS; 3rd April 2022 at 20:01..
Old 4th April 2022, 20:44   #6
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Thanks guys I’ve got a new PS pump on it’s way, if the alternator is gone then the pump has to come off anyway so as it’s been grumbling I’ll just replace it with a new one. Interesting about the pulley slipping as the alternator no charge light does come on intermittently, sometimes not at all then stop car restart and the light comes on above 1000-1200 revs. Goes out at idle speed. Must investigate further.
Old 4th April 2022, 23:12   #7
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schotten View Post
Thanks guys I’ve got a new PS pump on it’s way, if the alternator is gone then the pump has to come off anyway so as it’s been grumbling I’ll just replace it with a new one. Interesting about the pulley slipping as the alternator no charge light does come on intermittently, sometimes not at all then stop car restart and the light comes on above 1000-1200 revs. Goes out at idle speed. Must investigate further.

Often a sign of oil contaminated / worn slip rings and brushes, as well as the oil sometimes forming a sort of varnish coating on the contact areas of slip ring to brush, giving poor electrical contact, it can also attract road / engine compartment dust which can prevent the brushes from sliding freely in their guides, again resulting in poor electrical contact.

When you get the alt off, pop the regulator out and let us know what the condition of the slip rings, brush holders and brushes are like.
Old 4th April 2022, 23:52   #8
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Red face

Quote:
Update: I reckon the smoke is the alternator burning. Tested output and couldn’t get a reading, battery is very low. So I think a new alternator is on the cards
I disagree that the alternator is creating the smoke.

If the brushes were worn down, or the sliprings were contaminated by PS fluid, the alternator would NOT smoke, it would just stop working.

But a slipping crankshaft pulley WILL smoke after a significant run.

Try putting full lock on, and see if you get a PS warning.

As an aside, you need to know that (unfortunately) IF the brushes are worn down, by the time the battery warning light is seen, the sliprings may have been damaged, and the alternator will need part exchange.

I've got all the T-shirts !!!

Last edited by MarkS; 4th April 2022 at 23:58..
Old 5th April 2022, 07:39   #9
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Ok will do, hopefully just the regulator needing replaced? Easier and cheaper than the whole alternator??
Old 6th April 2022, 22:03   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Ok will do, hopefully just the regulator needing replaced? Easier and cheaper than the whole alternator??
Very much cheaper.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote