Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th May 2022, 10:24   #1
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default DAB/FM splitter

I have looked through the numerous DAB aerial threads but couldn’t find any covering use of a DAB/FM aerial splitter in our cars. I am looking at replacing my Symphony head unit with a Blaupunkt DAB as since having DRLs fitted sod’s law decrees that they interfere with the main station I listen to LBC 97.3 on FM.

Has anyone used a passive splitter on a tourer and if so what were the results like ? They seem a neater solution that the film type and I don’t want to go down the path of drilling a hole.

Has anyone has any experience of the single DIN Blaupunkt Valencia 200BT ? that’s the one I’m looking at as I like the simple OEM appearance of it.

Many Thanks John
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2022, 18:11   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
... since having DRLs fitted sod’s law decrees that they interfere with the main station I listen to LBC 97.3 on FM.

Really? DRLs are just LEDs. Aren't they driven by a DC supply? If so, that shouldn't interfere with radio reception.

What form does the interference take John?

Simon
Old 17th May 2022, 18:39   #3
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Really? DRLs are just LEDs. Aren't they driven by a DC supply? If so, that shouldn't interfere with radio reception.

What form does the interference take John?

Simon
Hi Simon, a loud buzzing that makes the station unlistenable, switch on the headlights which turns off the DRLs and the buzzing goes, same as listening to the radio on stage one of the ignition before the DRLs are powered up. It’s odd as it’s only that station and didn’t have the problem before the DRLs were fitted. LEDs can cause strange interference, on my pushbikes I have got wireless trip computers and when I used a hi-power LED headlight if it was mounted near to the computer it would interrupt the wireless signal !
Old 18th May 2022, 06:27   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Thanks for that John. Are the DRLs wired directly to the car's loom or is there some sort of "driver" involved? If the latter it might be that it, or the wiring to the LEDs, needs screening.

Of course the simplest solution is to dispense with the DRLs. Changing the radio receiver and aerial system is a lot of work for what could be considered a fashion accessory.

Also, do you have a guarantee that the Blaupunkt DAB unit won't be similarly affected?

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 18th May 2022 at 08:19..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2022, 19:33   #5
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Thanks for that John. Are the DRLs wired directly to the car's loom or is there some sort of "driver" involved? If the latter it might be that it, or the wiring to the LEDs, needs screening.

Of course the simplest solution is to dispense with the DRLs. Changing the radio receiver and aerial system is a lot of work for what could be considered a fashion accessory.

Also, do you have a guarantee that the Blaupunkt DAB unit won't be similarly affected?

Simon
Hi Simon not sure if the LEDs have a driver as I had them installed. I got the DRLs to increase my cars daylight visibility rather than as a styling mod. It’s a good observation re no guarantees on DAB being a solution, but the Blaupunkt unit was also going to provide a Bluetooth phone and music streaming solution as my CD boot changer has failed.
Old 29th May 2022, 06:35   #6
Bazzateer

Never had a problem with car visibility before drls became the norm on moderns.
Ditch the drls and if you're concerned about being seen just put your dipped headlights on.