Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th April 2020, 20:54   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
... And meanwhile robots steal the jobs of the semi-skilled manufacturing worker, computers have stolen the hordes of office jobs from typing pool to accounts clerk.

... And we conveniently forget the dreamed of utopian society that we all aspired to - where the machines did all the work so we could live life and pursue our own interests in peace. Instead we decide to start namecalling 'dole bludgers', 'idle', 'lazy', and the like - because their jobs have been taken by machinery and automation, and it's easier to pigeonhole groups of people than look at individuals.

At the same time we want to pay the minimum we can get away with for the essentials of life - so go to the supermarkets who give it to us by screwing the farmer down so tight that they can't afford to pay minimum wage to the 'unskilled' agricultural workers that we depend upon to make that food available.

And then we scoff in incredulity that we have to go further afield to find people prepared to work to live.... And blame the growers???????????????

Well said Wraymond - Like you I too will spend a little more for fresh food, Use local small shops that source goods locally where possible and practical. But I also fall for the mass cheapness of the likes of Amazon / Morrison's / Sainsbury every day (I'm ashamed to admit it).

I work full time and am continuing to do so from home. It's unlikely that I will be furloughed at all. Even given my unfitness and age I'd happily go and pick crops for a day a week for very little direct or immediate reward if I had nowt else to do.

hang on a second, yes we have unemployed who cannot work and cannot find work of any sort but we also have those that do not want to work.
Those that do not want to work are the targets not those that want to but cannot. As for cost of groceries, surly if farmers are paid more and the cost is passed on to the consumer by every retail outlet then that is the price people will pay. It is when undercutting happens that the "saving" is forced onto the farmer.

Did I see a program on Rolls Royce where a farming family had 8 Rolls Royces?
No one person is to blame, it is collective

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote