Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th June 2020, 20:17   #21
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I think regardless of the app, both Apple and Google are highly likely to spy on you regardless.

It would be nice if someone else would make a smart phone, complete with an open software stack. The PinePhone may do this one day.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2020, 20:43   #22
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
The Covid stuff appearing on iphones & android are just options put in place in readiness for the app. If you dont install the app they do nothing.
Aye whatever, the next update will include whatever shyte you don't need, or indeed want, how about an app finding it's way in another "critical update"

I had a new genuine apple battery fitted four months ago, and could comfortably run for an entire day, and still have around 25% charge.

Not so now, and when you turn off bluetooth miracle battery life, that tells you there is a lot more happening in the background.

It's a moot point, I'm looking forward to the dulcet tones of Francisco Tárrega's Gran Vals, they can stick their tracking where the sun doesn't shine

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2020, 21:26   #23
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

My wife asked why I speak so quietly at home, I told her I thought the government were listening.
She laughed..
I laughed..
Alexa laughed

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2020, 22:33   #24
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Hi Phil, I have just (last couple of days) treated myself to a Huawei P30 Pro for much the same reason. The camera is VERY impressive and it means I don't have to lug a camera around on days out etc.

I'll still use a proper camera for those important occasions (you know the ones- car shows and the like ), but for all other duties, the P30 more than fits the bill.

The P40 is, of course, the latest incarnation and has an even better camera setup, but I went for the P30 Pro as it can now be had for almost half it's original price, and I'm a tight old so & so

Cliff
Cliff, thanks for the heads up about the P30 being half the price of the P40. I will give it serious consideration.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2020, 22:35   #25
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

https://fullfact.org/health/covid-19...Gz2xm85iuO5QDw
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2020, 00:50   #26
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I'm quite looking forward to the retro look, it'll fit in well with my modern lifestyle

And the best part is, it won't take pictures of the inside of my pocket, or dial random numbers

Brian
Dialling random numbers makes people feel loved I noticed my phone had also updated with auto updates turned off. It looks as though the download is switched off and can only be turned on alongside another app.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2020, 09:06   #27
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Cliff, thanks for the heads up about the P30 being half the price of the P40. I will give it serious consideration.
It's great value, and now it's no longer the flagship 'phone, the price is dropping more and more. I bought it from Amazon just a week ago and the price has already dropped another £30.

Be aware though, it doesn't do 5G (at least, I don't think it does), so if that's a requirement, the P40 would be better.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2020, 17:21   #28
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Ok Craig, so I don't want the health app or indeed the application programming interface for Covid contact tracing installed on my phone.

Apple post iOS 10 allowed users to delete any preinstalled but unwanted app, this appears to have been rescinded.

Irrespective of what is being claimed to the contrary, it would be a simple matter to install whatever the government decides is in our "best interests" to have running in the background.

At least with Apple, they are resistant to government interventions, not the same when it comes the the Android/Google model.

It is akin to presumed organ donation becoming the norm, and having to opt out of a scheme, I would like the autonomy to choose who, if anyone has access to data, and for whatever altruistic intent.

We are being walked down a path where to disagree with what we are being spoonfed, is to be made out as misanthropic.

I'm not in favour of an Orwellian future

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2020, 19:29   #29
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

My tinfoil hat is all ready to go! Far too easy to believe everything that’s said...

Wonder if you could get a little pouch similar to those for credit and debit cards?

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2021, 04:55   #30
egilbreath

Rover 75 Tourer

In general, if you worry about your privacy you should stop using smartphones because almost all apps, even games can gather your data and personal information without your permission and we can't even know what they can receive. Also, sim card location trackers have become popular. They are used to track your phone from another smartphone. You can get such an infection while installing other apps or anybody else can get access and install it on your phone. So you may understand that all of your data becomes visible for somebody who can use your details as he or she wishes.

But I understand you because I also worry about my privacy and also do not like the situation when iOs make updates that are not appropriate for me but we can't change this. And I can't stop using the smartphone as it is very useful for my work. But I limited the time of smartphone usage, deleted all unnecessary apps.
egilbreath is offline   Reply With Quote