Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Members Contributions
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2012, 19:30   #1
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Default Leather Dye

Leather Dye

The Rover 75 must be one of the most common cars to have leather seats fitted, leather was fitted in electric mode on the Mk1 Connoisseur and Connoisseur SE as well as an option available to fit manual leather seats to other lower spec cars. Leather was only fitted to the Connoisseur SE on the facelift 75.

The leather came in 2 common trim colours either Sandstone Beige or Ash Grey Black, however another trim colour Smokestone Grey (light grey) was used for interior parts like the steering wheel and arm rest on black leather cars.

Special lines colours came in 3 variants Neptune Blue, Deep Sea Green and the lovely Aubergine. I have been able to get Neptune dye but never Deep Sea Green or Aubergine, mainly as I don’t have samples of these leather colours.
All the Rover 75’s I have had, and it’s seven and counting, have had leather seats and one in particular had some leather wear so I decided to source and supply samples to match the various interiors. The leather dye that I supply has been sent all over the world, Australia, Japan, Russia, Ukraine and most of Europe.

So where does the leather wear – well the main points that I know about are the steering wheel , the driver’s seat side bolster and lower right of the seat base. Surprisingly some peoples sweaty hands can take its toll on the leather or the later vinyl used on the steering wheel whether that is a standard wheel or the sought after wood & leather wheel.

The best way to apply is by sponging on light coats and building up the colour, you must leave it to dry before recoating or all you will do is remove the previous coat. You must also ensure that whatever you’re dying has been thoroughly cleaned and free from grease and dirt, I use a small nail brush with warm soapy water. Once you happy with the finish I usually apply beeswax furniture polish to give it a bit a sheen.

If you’re repairing and touching in damaged areas you should feather in light coats to the surrounding as unless you’re going to do the entire item you’re never going to match perfectly the newly dyed area with 10 year old leather that’s been used and abused. You can also use the dye to change the leather colour, I’ve gone from black to beige quite successfully.

Picture courtesy Ramdonice

Picture courtesy ssizefive

Picture courtesy Bam

Picture courtesy Brabus

Picture courtesy stevesav

See this thread for some success stories on owners using the dye.
Been busy today with dye

PM me if you need some dye for your car, Sandstone Beige, Light Smokestone, Ash Grey & Neptune Blue available.
Closed Thread