Notices

Old 18th April 2024, 18:27   #11
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Great until somebody comes along and digs up the road to lay a new pipe.

They'll get clogged up with fag ends no doubt.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2024, 19:00   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
These green road vents that act as a vacuum cleaner to suck up tyre particles & brake dust ... Those particles & exhaust fumes will go through a scrubbing system & the clean air vented from a roadside cabinet.

Ian, this strikes me as either a joke or a hair-brained scheme devised by politicians with no technical knowledge that reminds me of John McEnroe's catchphrase: "You cannot be serious".

For example, how much suction would be necessary to gather brake dust from a moving vehicle whose wheels are unlikely to be passing directly over the vents? Most of my brake dust is attracted to the alloy wheels and it takes a strong cleaning agent with water to remove it.

How are cyclists and pedestrians going to traverse the force of the suction safely assuming that the vents are not quickly blocked by autumn leaves and street refuse (which of course they will be)?

Installation would involve excavating the road and where in London is the extraction plant going to be built?

It's a ludicrous idea with all the hallmarks of an electoral gimmick from the Mayor of London. Whilst he continues to bang on about motor vehicle pollution, the air quality in the deep level tube lines is appalling. Obviously that's not on the agenda for public discussion.

Simon
Old 19th April 2024, 08:10   #13
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Ian, this strikes me as either a joke or a hair-brained scheme devised by politicians with no technical knowledge that reminds me of John McEnroe's catchphrase: "You cannot be serious".

For example, how much suction would be necessary to gather brake dust from a moving vehicle whose wheels are unlikely to be passing directly over the vents? Most of my brake dust is attracted to the alloy wheels and it takes a strong cleaning agent with water to remove it.

How are cyclists and pedestrians going to traverse the force of the suction safely assuming that the vents are not quickly blocked by autumn leaves and street refuse (which of course they will be)?

Installation would involve excavating the road and where in London is the extraction plant going to be built?

It's a ludicrous idea with all the hallmarks of an electoral gimmick from the Mayor of London. Whilst he continues to bang on about motor vehicle pollution, the air quality in the deep level tube lines is appalling. Obviously that's not on the agenda for public discussion.

Simon

I must admit I checked the date on that piece to make sure it wasn't April 1st. I suppose when it's government money anything goes.

Brake disc manufacturers are applying new technology to counter brake abrasion & same with tyre manufacturers so not sure why they're going in that road vent direction. .

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote