Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st January 2019, 18:40   #1
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default Advice on a satnav

Has anyone these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgrade-Ver.../dp/B07921W2LL

I've never been a great lover of satnav but this seems good value and I think look good in the car
The only thing I've noticed with satnav in a works pool car they don't have traffic like on phones which is very handy.
Has anyone had any experience with these or can recommend a similar unit , one thing I must have is a USB port as I have all my music on memory sticks

Cheers
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 13:44   #2
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

The unit looks decent but so do all these China branded devices that seem to come from one factory.

This unit however *will not fit* in a 75 or a ZT. The units casing is too big.

Look for cheap custom E46 like this

Or maybe one of these?

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:25   #3
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Thanks for that , do I take it that although the BM E46 says double did, it's actually smaller.
Those navell star ones? Are they any good and still available?
When I got the car it came with a double din faceplate which I assume is BMW E46 double din
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:40   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Thanks for that , do I take it that although the BM E46 says double did, it's actually smaller.
Those navell star ones? Are they any good and still available?
When I got the car it came with a double din faceplate which I assume is BMW E46 double din
I wouldn't bother with the Navall Star as there is no longer any back-up. Any double din will fit if you have a cage & a faceplate
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:44   #5
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Hi Russ,

The units I presented are called double din but are actually single din chassis with a double din face plate. So yes these do fit although you have to cut of the ears of the face plate for the unit to fit (so test run first to see if it works before fitting)

NavAll was a "brand" sold by Sean / Radioguy. He has been banned from this forum because he cheated guys out of their money. So I guess you don't want them. The Star particularly seemed to have rather a lot of problems.

I am not sure what face plate you got at this moment. If it is a standard after market fascia you could look for units with a reduced depth. There are a few threads on this forum that can tell you what the maximum depth is. Feel free to search

If you are looking for a Chinese unit you might consider Eonon or Xtrons. Both are what you might call premium Chinese brands a bit more expensive but better supported than brands like Wondefoo or MongWeed.
I have an Eonon in my X-Type and an Xtrons in my ZT-T. Xtrons are sold by a forum member who has his shop on eBay and the net (www.androidice.co.uk). Decent guy with good support so recommended.

Hope this helps

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023

Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:27   #6
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Thanks for that. I looked at the one linked because it looks kind of period for the car will that not actually fit because of depth ?
On a slightly different note are parking cams and microphones universal?
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:56   #7
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

I think this will look even better for our kind of cars (including period :-) ):

Parking cams (I think you mean rear viewing cams) and microphones are not universal. It basically depends on the type of connector. Most cams can be connected but some require some fiddling. In regard to the microphone you should watch the impedance (not sure if that is the correct word :S)

EDIT: This is the rear view cam I used on my ZT-T. It works OK. It is connected to the video input called rear cam on my units loom.

Sjonnie

Quote:

Last edited by Sjonnie; 3rd January 2019 at 14:00.. Reason: Added some info
Old 7th January 2019, 21:36   #8
Simulator
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Hi Sjonnie

That was an interesting thread of yours, I have been trying to contact Radioguy several times without success and wondered why - now I know. As far as the Navall Star is concerned, I wish I had never bothered to buy one, continual problems with radio not locking onto stations and DVR recording onto both sd card and the music usb and mostly not playing back so pretty useless. Anyway thanks for your info.

Simulator
Simulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 18:05   #9
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Hi Simulator,

Thanks!

In case you are considering replacing the Star I suggest contacting Julian (Jubbarelly) He's selling Xtrons and provides great service (I am having some minor issues with mine and he is being very supportive). No affiliation though

Sjonnie

Quote: