Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th December 2018, 10:45   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default WiFi and IP Cam issue

For several years I have had a web cam installed, so I could watch the front of the house for the postie etc.. I have two dogs, the postie often delivers at variable times, so I didn't want the dogs out, when (s)he was on the way.

It was in an awkward place to get a LAN cable to so for all of those years I used WiFi. On the original router it would sometimes just drop off the network every few days. I replaced that copper router 2 or 3 months ago, with an FTTC router and the disconnections became much more frequent. I tried moving the router so it was much nearer, just a few feet from the camera - that didn't help.

Checking the router remotely, it seemed the WiFi access on the router was simply shutting down. Trying to access it from my laptop, it would disappear from the list of access points.

I have two dual band WiFi routers, one in the loft, a second on the ground floor.

Over the weekend I decided the only solution was to climb in the loft and run a LAN cable to it. It works absolutely reliably now.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 19:18   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Is it possible to plug in a WIFI relay unit near to the camera ???
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 21:59   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Is it possible to plug in a WIFI relay unit near to the camera ???

I had the WiFi router access point about 15 feet away and about three feet above through a floor, around 16.5 feet LOS. I then tried moving the AP so it was almost directly above around 6 feet LOS, but still through the floor. Floor was just timber and plasterboard, but it didn't help. Works fine now, on the wired LAN.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 20th December 2018, 11:36   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Harry, Your router may just need a firmware update, this can be done by logging into your router or giving your service provider a call, this often solves most Wifi issues. You could also check your device for a driver update, old outdated drivers cause no end of problems.

Otherwise radio interference can be another problem, everyday household devices such as cordless phones, microwaves and bluetooth devices can effect your Wifi, even something your neighbour is using.

Your line may even be unstable which is effecting the Wifi, get your provider to perform a line test, this often solves many issues.

Dual band routers are great, if you can split devices over the 2.4HGz and 5GHz, this often helps.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 20:36   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Harry, Your router may just need a firmware update, this can be done by logging into your router or giving your service provider a call, this often solves most Wifi issues. You could also check your device for a driver update, old outdated drivers cause no end of problems.

Its an ex-BT FTTC unit, which I have OpenWRT installed. As said, I had a similar issue with a Netgear copper broadband modem, though not quite as bad. It is fully up to date, the 5Gz port connecting to a Rasberry Pi running my weather station works absolutely fine, just issues with the 2.4Gz port to the cam - but I can see the 2.4Ghz port go off from my laptop on the ground floor.

Otherwise radio interference can be another problem, everyday household devices such as cordless phones, microwaves and bluetooth devices can effect your Wifi, even something your neighbour is using.

I don't have any issues with the second dual band router on the ground floor, which serves a Firestick on the 5Ghz port, then laptop and a variety of things on the 2.4Gnhz port.

Your line may even be unstable which is effecting the Wifi, get your provider to perform a line test, this often solves many issues.

No, my line is dead steady at 39.950Mbits down. Never disconnects, never varies.

Dual band routers are great, if you can split devices over the 2.4HGz and 5GHz, this often helps.

I have - 2x 2.4Ghz and 2x 5Ghz. The cam only has 2.4Ghz available.

Anyway, as said all works fine now and at a higher frame rate, with a wired LAN connection to it.

Old 23rd December 2018, 21:55   #6
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

We used to have WiFi cameras to keep an eye on our bunnies but after many issues dropping out etc I changed to POE hikvision setup and it’s been great since.
I put it down to signal problems or poor quality cameras which is why I went with a decent set up.