Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd October 2012, 14:58   #11
bigcar
Loves to post

Sep 2003 Rover 75 Club SE, 105000 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Fella View Post
"Nearly half a billion fewer litres of petrol and diesel were sold between April and June than during the same period last year, says the Department of Energy and Climate Change"

More here . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19810276
We can expect rising fuel prices to continue indefinitely until we all get together and take action! The lorry drivers and the car owners must blocked aid the roads to get our message across to the deaf-ears of the Government that we have had enough. I know it’s terrible to suggest such a thing but what other action can be taken that this arrogant high-living pay-for-nothing Government layabouts will listen to?
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:22   #12
Nobby09
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto

"Fuel increases are not down to Government % tax increases, they are down to retailers/oil companies."

I think you will find it is a combination of both, but our Government takes the lion's share! Even the President of OPEC stated that the UK Government made more out of a litre of fuel than they did!
Even in your example from the HoC, it states that we pay the 3rd highest tax on petrol in the EU, and the highest tax on diesel, the Government could do more, but won't, and with public transport being amongst the most expensive anywhere,( and the worst!), they have their cash cow!!

PS, Sign up to Fairfuel UK, the more the better, and let's get heard!

Last edited by Nobby09; 3rd October 2012 at 15:24..
Nobby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:07   #13
Ros3
This is my second home

Rover 75 V6 saloon (gone to the Rover garage in the sky), Mazda mx5 Phoenix.

The goverment will never cut the duty on fuel, And the sad fact is that they will continue to see the price of fuel go up. Why.???.. Well they need to find money from somewhere to keep the work shy on benifits and to house, feed and cloth all the immigrants that enter our country every year. Ohh and they need cash to hand out in foreign aid. And to keep themself in the way they have become accustomed to. Sad but true...
Ros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:21   #14
Jay160
Gets stuck in

ZT160T RioRed "Lucifer"

for the last year now we use ours much less

everyone moans about the fuel but thats about it "good old english way"

if i need anything little from shops these days .. i put the littleman in the buggy and off we go

i save money he gets to see the world not the back seat of a car
Upgraded 190 Brakes(not yet as they sent 160 brakes)
Calipers painted Black
Auto Boot Lift
Handbrake Mod
LEDS changed to blue Inside
Vanity Visors Added
Red Silicone Turbo Pipes
Coolant Pipes being changed Silicone slowly
Turbo Feed Moved from T-Piece
Alloy Inlet Manifold ..Being Done
Dvd Player
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=120739
Jay160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:41   #15
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikelsh View Post
Not that anyone would see a reasoned argument as its easy to bash the Government, but for what its worth, we actually pay less in Fuel Duty now as a % that we did in the year 2000
Do you work as a statistician by any chance?

As a % maybe, but the duty has, as I thought increased on a per Litre basis!

In 2000, the total Tax on a Litre of fuel was 58.5p in 2012, it's now 81.2p per Litre!!

If we then go back another decade, in 1990, the Tax was just 22.7p per Litre!

I also looked at what fuel cost when I started driving (1977) and it today's money, it equates to 94.1p per Litre!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:50   #16
cargocar
Gets stuck in

rover 75 tourer auto 2001

A few years ago i used the car nearly every day, then i started to cut out the excuses and started walking etc, got out of the habit of using the car, so i'm more bothered about the battery going flat now. If they halved fuel prices tomorrow, i'd still continue todo the walking.
Because fuel was hiked up so much in a short time, people got out of the habit of using the car every weekend etc, (and probably looking-for/started work nearer home.
cargocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:01   #17
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargocar View Post
A few years ago i used the car nearly every day, then i started to cut out the excuses and started walking etc, got out of the habit of using the car, so i'm more bothered about the battery going flat now. If they halved fuel prices tomorrow, i'd still continue todo the walking.
Because fuel was hiked up so much in a short time, people got out of the habit of using the car every weekend etc, (and probably looking-for/started work nearer home.
This is what I did 5 years ago with the foresight of what has happened, I only use my car occasionally and usually for tyre shredding fun only!

In fact I dont actually need a car anymore for work or anything else and use two wheels (peddle power) and two feet to get me around! It is usually quicker too
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:01   #18
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

It doesn't matter what we all think really, Someone somewhere will be the man/woman that buys the last ever litre of fuel that comes out of the ground for some ridiculous amount of money. In the meantime the oil companies & governments have convinced us that the oil is running out and is a finite resource. Yes, so is the sun but I don't give 2 stuffs about that because it's going to last another 5billion years.

I digress, anyway as the oil companies are owned by shareholders they will not care that they are selling less as they have convinced us/governments that because there is less it is harder to get at meaning they have to invest more, meaning we have to pay more for it in the first place.

I believe that because the shareholders will want the same returns whether they sell 1 billion barrels PY or 1 million PY. the cost will go up and up forever more and although you and I may be forced off the road we will still be paying for the fuel via the various tax bills to pay for the fuel that the essential services HAVE to buy in order to function.

PS. If windturbines are so great why aren't the factories making them powered by them , after all they'd get the turbines for cost price making the electricity even cheaper and yet they still don't do it??

While i'm on a rant when British Gas was sold off, the previous years profit was £90odd Million and everyone bought shares as it made a bomb and was a sound bet. Now British Gas announces profits of approx 345 Million for first 6 months of 2012. This figure is for British Gas, Centrica as a whole made £1.45Billion over the same period

And then they try to convince us we are not being striped up

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:13   #19
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

and just to put it in perspective, apparantly, according to Professor Brian Cox, the sun produces enough energy in 1 second to power the USA for 1 million years (give or take)
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 00:36   #20
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

And if your in NI and pop over the boarder your saving 35ppl against uk prices. Thats bound to effect the tax mans income etc
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote