Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd April 2020, 18:39   #1
deltic08
Avid contributor

52 ZT 190 Solar Red. 54 ZT 190 SE Ignition Blue. 54 ZT 190 SE Rio Red. 05 ZT 1.8T Aurora

Default Wintered reasonably well

Hello all,
Being isolated by my son 3 weeks ago today (he is an intensive care consultant in Edinburgh at the sharp end amongst coronavirus patients) because of my age and chest problems due to a stroke in Feb 2018, I decided as the weather was good to remove the covers from my 4 ZT/ZTTs stored on the drive and check how they have wintered. Only one did not start first time and that was because the bonnet release cable snapped a few weeks ago before I had chance to disconnect the battery.
Outside was good after a good wash to remove spiders webs and a polish with liquid wax.
Today, I started on the inside to remove damp marks from headlining and leather but noticed that some of the rubber strips between the glass and door cards have become very distorted due to rust and is almost pushing off the door card. I assume this is due to condensation under the covers for two winters now since I haven't driven them for two years since my stroke.
I have seen used strips advertised on ebay but if mine are 15 years old and rusting others will be equally old.
Is anyone on the Forum likely to be taking orders for a batch of new strips, if it is possible to get new strips made, as I would expect a lot of ZTs are in the same condition?
Best wishes,
Adrian
deltic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2020, 18:55   #2
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltic08 View Post
Hello all,
Being isolated by my son 3 weeks ago today (he is an intensive care consultant in Edinburgh at the sharp end amongst coronavirus patients) because of my age and chest problems due to a stroke in Feb 2018, I decided as the weather was good to remove the covers from my 4 ZT/ZTTs stored on the drive and check how they have wintered. Only one did not start first time and that was because the bonnet release cable snapped a few weeks ago before I had chance to disconnect the battery.
Outside was good after a good wash to remove spiders webs and a polish with liquid wax.
Today, I started on the inside to remove damp marks from headlining and leather but noticed that some of the rubber strips between the glass and door cards have become very distorted due to rust and is almost pushing off the door card. I assume this is due to condensation under the covers for two winters now since I haven't driven them for two years since my stroke.
I have seen used strips advertised on ebay but if mine are 15 years old and rusting others will be equally old.
Is anyone on the Forum likely to be taking orders for a batch of new strips, if it is possible to get new strips made, as I would expect a lot of ZTs are in the same condition?
Best wishes,
Adrian
It's good to see that life is getting a touch better for you just now, a stroke is a terrible thing for anyone. I hope the better weather will come and make things better still for you, best wishes.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2020, 18:55   #3
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

What you are looking for is Inner waist seals. Its a common issue but you are unlikely to find new stock so a trip to your local scrappy will likely be your best bet once you can get out. If it's the rears the Limo seals will fit but will need to be trimmed down to size.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:32   #4
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

And remove the new ones with a wallpaper scraper or similar. So I am informed.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote