Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd April 2020, 12:20   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default None Starter

Hi guys, the Avensis was dead this morning. As it isn't getting much use I was going to charge the battery this weekend anyway. However, when I jump started it, the charger is showing battery full...am I correct in thinking the battery is probably therefore goosed? It was fitted by Toyota 3 years ago, so age-wise it isn't the youngest.

I thought it might be hard to get one with Covid, but online places seem to have them, RAC best service but expensive, but they will come out same day and Fit premium Varta, 5 year warranty for £130. I can get a no name battery online, but due to delivery issues they can't guarantee an exact date for £68 and fit myself, but a lot of trim appears to need taking off to do it.

Trusty ZT got me to work to deliver what I've done at home, and now I'm furloughed anyway.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:55   #2
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Hi Dawn, if you have not used it for a while and the battery went 100% flat then there is a good chance you will need to replace it.

I had the same problem with my 75 as I had not used it for at least 2 months and there was not even enough power in it to release the central locking. Just pleased that the manual lock on the drivers door works ok.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:00   #3
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I have been using it about twice a week. Its never sounded healthy since they fitted it to be honest! Perhaps as they were paying it wasnt a heavy duty one. My car is a T Spirit so lots of toys to drain things! Im pondering the RAC one as its a premium named battery, good warranty, fitted and available instantly. On top of that the washer pumps packed in!
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:10   #4
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Might be worth sticking it on charge for a few days if you can use the ZT. I find if you use a smallish charger that will take overnight to charge they can put some life back into a battery that isnt goosed. Better than spending £130 when you battery might just have been not used enough for the last few months.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:23   #5
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Might be worth sticking it on charge for a few days if you can use the ZT. I find if you use a smallish charger that will take overnight to charge they can put some life back into a battery that isnt goosed. Better than spending £130 when you battery might just have been not used enough for the last few months.
The thing that makes me think its had it, is the fact the ZT doesnt go anywhere so should be flat. I plugged the charger on it the other day and it was at about 50% - not bad considering so I trickle charged it up. But the charger says the battery that wouldnt start without a boost is at 100% right after I jumped it. That cant be right....I had the same happen with my Contemporary. I charged it up. 2 weeks later it let me down.
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:30   #6
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Hi dawn
Not sure about your current battery but in the past I have found buying a cheaper , no name brand to be a false economy.
Ecp springs to mind with their lion brand.
Few posts about that brand on here but the seem to fail out of the blue within the warranty period and credit to ecp they just take them back without a quibble, possibly because they know they wont last.
I always buy a decent brand now and you seem to get a longer warranty with a more expensive brand.

Stan
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:34   #7
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I cant see what it is without stripping a cowl off. I assumed a genuine Toyota but never queeried it as they paid.
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:54   #8
Bogbrush82

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post

I thought it might be hard to get one with Covid,
To be honest I wouldn't want one with Covid anyway.

Much prefer a healthy one.

On a more serious note you say it's never really been right since they fitted it? I'd be asking myself how long they had it in storage before they fitted it to your car.

Last edited by Bogbrush82; 3rd April 2020 at 13:57..
Bogbrush82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:29   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Try a jump start off the ZT Dawn, if it works then it will be the battery that’s gone.
Old 3rd April 2020, 16:28   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Forget what the charger says Dawn, charge it fully, and if you don't have anything other than a smart charger, then connect it in parallel with the battery from the ZT using your jump leads and leave it on charge for at least 24 hours.

I would be surprised if it's knackered if it's only three years old, even if it's been discharged to the point where the surface voltage across the plates is less than 7v (where a smart charger would see this as a fully charged 6v battery ) the trick of connecting in parallel with a battery not in such a deeply discharged state will bring it back from the brink.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote