Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2022, 20:40   #1
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Default Front spring busted.

I have had my o/s front spring go bang, so having done many struts in the past on other cars thought this would be a breeze, , , ,wrong!, First off the 15mm bolt holding the strut to the hub is seized & had been attacked before, anyhow to cut a long story short I now have the strut hanging out of the wheel arch, Got the old spring off ok but I cant for the life of me get the new spring to compress enough to re-assemble the strut,(with compressors of course),I have obviously got to leave the top & bottom coils free for seating & the top mount so it doesn't leave much to play with, So is there a technique for doing these that I am missing?,,,,,,cheers.
finbarr saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 20:45   #2
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr saunders View Post
I have had my o/s front spring go bang, so having done many struts in the past on other cars thought this would be a breeze, , , ,wrong!, First off the 15mm bolt holding the strut to the hub is seized & had been attacked before, anyhow to cut a long story short I now have the strut hanging out of the wheel arch, Got the old spring off ok but I cant for the life of me get the new spring to compress enough to re-assemble the strut,(with compressors of course),I have obviously got to leave the top & bottom coils free for seating & the top mount so it doesn't leave much to play with, So is there a technique for doing these that I am missing?,,,,,,cheers.
When I did mine I was aided by buckets of blood sweat and tears.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 20:54   #3
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
When I did mine I was aided by buckets of blood sweat and tears.
Well so far I have put a 3rd clamp on which was a mistake as it allowed one of the others to shoot round & smash into 2 of my fingers which are now throbbing & swollen.
Old 8th February 2022, 06:47   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I would take the strut and spring to your local garage, they will have a hydraulic spring compressor that will be better than using your clamps.
Old 8th February 2022, 07:20   #5
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

I wish I could but the 15mm bolt that holds it to the hub has been rounded off & refuses to budge, (not by me may I add).
Old 8th February 2022, 08:15   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

A member had the same problem but I think they removed strut and hub and hacksawed through the bolt to release the tension on it. they then were able to remove the bolt.

When I did my font strut bearings and removed the springs I found via he forum that the strut may naturally have drawn down so the spring becomes almost impossible to compress enough to refit the nut on the top. I was advised to fit a clamp, mcpherson? to the bottom of the shaft to stop it retracting. If this is your problem can you pull the strut apart then clamp the shaft.

If you are still stuck Saturday pm me and I may be able to come over and help you. Sorry, not available before then

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2022, 08:51   #7
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
A member had the same problem but I think they removed strut and hub and hacksawed through the bolt to release the tension on it. they then were able to remove the bolt.

When I did my font strut bearings and removed the springs I found via he forum that the strut may naturally have drawn down so the spring becomes almost impossible to compress enough to refit the nut on the top. I was advised to fit a clamp, mcpherson? to the bottom of the shaft to stop it retracting. If this is your problem can you pull the strut apart then clamp the shaft.

If you are still stuck Saturday pm me and I may be able to come over and help you. Sorry, not available before then

macafee2
You are spot on in regards to the shock absorber not being extended enough, the strut is stripped in situ due to that damn bolt, I have been pulling on the shock for all i'm worth but just cant get enough out to get the nut on as you say, It doesn't help that the spring coils seem to be all different diameters causing the compressors to bind up on the coils themselves stopping further compression, Like i say i tried putting another clamp on to get passed this but that resulted in one of the existing claps to spin around & smash my fingers, I now have a middle finger that is so swollen i can barely move it, & thanks I might well take you up on your offer as at the moment I feel like calling a scrap yard as i'm at my wits end with this.
Old 8th February 2022, 09:05   #8
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

If i can find a complete 2nd hand strut I would just chuck that on, A scrap yard I went to around 6 months ago had two pairs in the back of one in their yard,of course when I phoned them they had crushed the car & didn't think of keeping the struts despite of a pair of them having new springs on them, Now how daft is that?.
Old 8th February 2022, 09:23   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr saunders View Post
If i can find a complete 2nd hand strut I would just chuck that on, A scrap yard I went to around 6 months ago had two pairs in the back of one in their yard,of course when I phoned them they had crushed the car & didn't think of keeping the struts despite of a pair of them having new springs on them, Now how daft is that?.
There may well me a MK1 Tourer in Rainworth, Rays Car Dismantler.
Down a dirt track then first dirt track on the right, small scrap yard.

I think you need to get your strut off the car and work on it.
Once in your hand you will feel a whole lot better.
Do you have any Irwin bolt extractors?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2022, 09:44   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I think you need to get your strut off the car and work on it.
Do you have any Irwin bolt extractors?

Hi Tim,

I was going to suggest this but Ian has beaten me to it. Irwin nut/bolt extractors are available in two kits and are an excellent tool by the inventors of Vise Grips.

Also, to hopefully make you feel better, I also found that two spring compressors are better than three but even then it's a case of patience, trial and error. You do need to get the strut off the car though as this is hampering your efforts.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 8th February 2022 at 09:45.. Reason: Grammar
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote