Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th September 2020, 01:28   #1
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Question New key fob, car won't start

I bought a new key fob from the oft recommended CarKey Fob company. My nephew's wife (she has better eyesight!) helped in opening up the old key fob, and transferring the innards over to the new fob. It was a pain to get that done, virtually ripping up the old fob with pliers and sharp objects to get it open.

First problem - the new blade supplied by carkey fob company is chamfered at the top, where the plastic holding piece goes over the grub screw, whereas my original key is the same shape all the way to the top, so the plastic bit could not be stretched to fit I decided I would solve this problem by getting the new blade cut.

I went to a Timpsons shop just before 5pm, and the lady said she could not cut the key for me, as the blade was not bought at a Timpson shop. Company policy, no doubt designed to increase profits, but kind of tough luck on you if they don't have your car type blank key or have run out... So, how much for a Timpsons' Rover 75 key fob with blade? £35. I bought the Carkey fob for under £5. So, off to another independent hardware store to get the key cut. But it was now 5 o'clock, and lo and behold, the hardware store closes at 5 sharp. They don't even have a once a week late night. About time our shopkeepers started doing like our European and African cousins, and opening until later hours so that people who work can go shopping!

Next bright idea, trim down the old key with my dremel! A much better and cheaper solution, worked just fine! New fob opens and locks the car, but the key won't start the car

I can only think that in destroying the old key fob, the transponder has been lost...? Of course, my nephew's house has a black bobbly carpet so you can't find small black objects easily. She has promised not to hoover until I say so!

So, is that my problem? Should there have been another electronic piece in the old key fob separate from the printed circuit board which I have now lost? If I can't find the original transponder, is there another solution, or am I stymied?
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 07:16   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=51564

Post #10 will show you what you are missing.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 09:00   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Timpsons tend not to cut any keys not purchased from them I've found while most others will.

The 'grub screw' is a roll pin that needs to be knocked out to release the blade, after you've managed to get to it through the plastic!

Yes, as already pointed out, it sounds like you've lost the transponder chip (you're not the first to do this).

I would look for that chip if I were you otherwise it becomes a little more complicated.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 09:14   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post
I can only think that in destroying the old key fob, the transponder has been lost...?
Hello John,

I suspect that your key case wasn't the original because:
  • It's not necessary to use excessive force to separate the two halves. They can be prized apart using a blunt knife blade whilst keeping both halves as level as possible.
  • The transponder is held so firmly in its compartment that there's no chance of it just falling out (I needed tools to release mine!).

There are also a lot of very poor quality mouldings for sale which present all sorts of problems. After my own experience earlier this year, I wrote a guide of what to look for when choosing.

Quote:
New fob opens and locks the car, but the key won't start the car .. So, is that my problem?
It certainly seems so. If you can't find the transponder then I fear that you might have to order a new complete key via BMW which will be expensive.

Simon
Old 24th September 2020, 09:40   #5
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello John,

It certainly seems so. If you can't find the transponder then I fear that you might have to order a new complete key via BMW which will be expensive.

Simon
I believe some of the traders on here can programme a new transponder chip which will save the poster a great deal of money, but he has to remove his EWS module and post it to the trader.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 09:50   #6
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
I bought a new key fob from the oft recommended CarKey Fob company. My nephew's wife (she has better eyesight!) helped in opening up the old key fob, and transferring the innards over to the new fob. It was a pain to get that done, virtually ripping up the old fob with pliers and sharp objects to get it open.

First problem - the new blade supplied by carkey fob company is chamfered at the top, where the plastic holding piece goes over the grub screw, whereas my original key is the same shape all the way to the top, so the plastic bit could not be stretched to fit I decided I would solve this problem by getting the new blade cut.

I went to a Timpsons shop just before 5pm, and the lady said she could not cut the key for me, as the blade was not bought at a Timpson shop. Company policy, no doubt designed to increase profits, but kind of tough luck on you if they don't have your car type blank key or have run out... So, how much for a Timpsons' Rover 75 key fob with blade? £35. I bought the Carkey fob for under £5. So, off to another independent hardware store to get the key cut. But it was now 5 o'clock, and lo and behold, the hardware store closes at 5 sharp. They don't even have a once a week late night. About time our shopkeepers started doing like our European and African cousins, and opening until later hours so that people who work can go shopping!

Next bright idea, trim down the old key with my dremel! A much better and cheaper solution, worked just fine! New fob opens and locks the car, but the key won't start the car

I can only think that in destroying the old key fob, the transponder has been lost...? Of course, my nephew's house has a black bobbly carpet so you can't find small black objects easily. She has promised not to hoover until I say so!

So, is that my problem? Should there have been another electronic piece in the old key fob separate from the printed circuit board which I have now lost? If I can't find the original transponder, is there another solution, or am I stymied?

If you can remove the EWS from the car and post it, I can program you a new transponder, or 2 if you want a spare.

Is it located on the A pillar behind the light switch, you need a 5 point security torx to access it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trident-S...EAAOSwR-5fDxc9

One of these will do it . Drop me a PM if you want to discuss
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 12:31   #7
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for all the replies. The search for the transponder goes on.
Old 24th September 2020, 14:50   #8
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Have you looked inside the old key fob as that is where I would start assuming that you still have it. Keys cut from a photograph of the blade can be had, I have seen the service advertised on both eBay and alixepress. I haven't had need of either service so can't speak of the reliability of this method of key cutting.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 15:30   #9
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Alas, the old fob was thrown in the bin, and as luck would have it, the bins were emptied the next morning

"Keys cut from a photograph of the blade can be had". very interesting, has anyone got more info on this? Sounds doubtful to me, but happy to be proved wrong!

I will follow up on the comment about Timpsons having a machine that can clone the transponder, that sounds like a good way to go. Failing which, looks like I will need to buy a transponderand visit someone with a T4/ability to program a new key. Or just live with one key...
Old 24th September 2020, 19:05   #10
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Alas, the old fob was thrown in the bin, and as luck would have it, the bins were emptied the next morning

"Keys cut from a photograph of the blade can be had". very interesting, has anyone got more info on this? Sounds doubtful to me, but happy to be proved wrong!

I will follow up on the comment about Timpsons having a machine that can clone the transponder, that sounds like a good way to go. Failing which, looks like I will need to buy a transponderand visit someone with a T4/ability to program a new key. Or just live with one key...
Cloning the transponder definitely isn't the way to go. There is a rolling code so if you clone it the other will fall out of sync. I have offered in my post above to program a transponder.

I have the full ability to program complete keys and provide all the parts. I also have a T4.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote