Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2020, 13:49   #1
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Default Proper, original spec part needed

I looking for a new original spec, 88 degree KV6 thermostat ( or kit ) if anyone can point me in the right direction please?

I'm getting really fed up of purchasing 'genuine' parts to find out they are re-manufactured to a different specification to the original.

I bought a kit from EPC last year and fitted it to the firefrost ZT-T. The engine takes ages to get up to any kind of temperature, and only reaches around 78 on a run. Then when stationary, the temperature continues to rise well in to the 100's out of control. Fan is 2 speed and is working as it should as I replaced the resistor. I've had to bypass the oil cooler as this is allowing a small amount of oil into the coolant.

My Trophy blue tourer behaves perfectly. Temperature rises quickly to 87 and stays between 87-90. When the temperature does rise on a hot day sat still, it hits 101 and then comes straight back down again as the fan takes control.

Thanks in advance.

Ben.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2020, 14:06   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Ben,

For the thermostat, try E Car Parts (www.MGRoverParts.eu) 01767 682 100 who are X-Part agents. If you can, get the improved version with three supporting legs at the base.

Your Firefrost ZT-T sounds as if the cooling system isn't pressurising. It doesn't sound like a thermostat problem to me.

Simon
Old 29th August 2020, 14:26   #3
Typhoon190
This is my second home

Thanks Simon.

That's who I bought the kit from last year. The cooling system isn't leaking though?
Old 29th August 2020, 14:30   #4
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
The engine takes ages to get up to any kind of temperature, and only reaches around 78 on a run.
This is a classic sign that your cooling system isn't properly sealed. You won't necessarily see a recognisable leak. Have you renewed the expansion cap 'O' rings recently?

Simon
Old 29th August 2020, 14:37   #5
Typhoon190
This is my second home

Thanks Simon.

I'll have to investigate some more then. The car had K'Seal or alike added before (literally I think) I bought it. I flushed it out numerous times and then traced oil leaking into the coolant. I bypassed the cooler and then noticed a tiny leak from the thermostat. Replaced this and now the coolant level appears stable and clear.

The cam belts were last done in 2010 and around 70,000 miles, and I want to get them changed but don't want to commit that kind of money until the cooling issue is resolved.
Old 29th August 2020, 15:59   #6
SD1too

Quote:
The car had K'Seal or alike added before (literally I think) I bought it.
Oh dear, that's not good news. You may have continuing cooling system problems despite your gallant efforts.

Regarding the cambelts, were they last done under your ownership or Mr. Previous (who put in the K-Seal)? Do you have an invoice listing the parts supplied?

Simon
Old 29th August 2020, 16:39   #7
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Is it still misbehaving while bypassed? The Kseal may have blocked the oil cooler rails if not. Ive also bought 'genuine' thermostats in the past in MGR boxes, however the stat inside looked nothing like OE. Looked like it had been made in a mould from recycled plastics...looked awful. Lasted a few months before it started leaking again. Rubbish.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2020, 17:22   #8
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
Is it still misbehaving while bypassed? The Kseal may have blocked the oil cooler rails if not. Ive also bought 'genuine' thermostats in the past in MGR boxes, however the stat inside looked nothing like OE. Looked like it had been made in a mould from recycled plastics...looked awful. Lasted a few months before it started leaking again. Rubbish.
I have found the same thing Alan, I'm considering the Kaiser metal thermostat as a permanent fix, my car has never had K seal in the cooling system, yet the replacement "upgraded" item from Rimmer Bros lasted about six weeks and the straight section split.

It was replaced under warranty, scant consolation when you have through the rigmarole of removing the inlet manifold to replace it.

That was eighteen months ago, however after lockdown, the weekly checks revealed the car had used around half a pint of coolant, and there was pink dried residue in the vee.

It is very telling that the original items lasted for thirteen years, and the replacements less than two !!

Whatever is said about the newer components, they are not a patch on the original items.
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2020, 18:01   #9
Typhoon190
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Oh dear, that's not good news. You may have continuing cooling system problems despite your gallant efforts.

Regarding the cambelts, were they last done under your ownership or Mr. Previous (who put in the K-Seal)? Do you have an invoice listing the parts supplied?

Simon
I've only owned the car since last June, so not had anything other than some low cost maintenance items replaced unfortunately due to the numerous issues.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is getting more and more frustrated with poor quality replacements. Many are basically expensive landfill. It's really not on. The trouble is most of us don't return items so there is no 'incentive' for manufacturers/suppliers to supply decent quality items anymore. Quick sale, quick buck.
Old 29th August 2020, 19:29   #10
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
I looking for a new original spec, 88 degree KV6 thermostat ( or kit ) if anyone can point me in the right direction please?

I'm getting really fed up of purchasing 'genuine' parts to find out they are re-manufactured to a different specification to the original.

I bought a kit from EPC last year and fitted it to the firefrost ZT-T. The engine takes ages to get up to any kind of temperature, and only reaches around 78 on a run. Then when stationary, the temperature continues to rise well in to the 100's out of control. Fan is 2 speed and is working as it should as I replaced the resistor. I've had to bypass the oil cooler as this is allowing a small amount of oil into the coolant.

My Trophy blue tourer behaves perfectly. Temperature rises quickly to 87 and stays between 87-90. When the temperature does rise on a hot day sat still, it hits 101 and then comes straight back down again as the fan takes control.

Thanks in advance.

Ben.
get the kaiser all metal fit and forget like i did and be finished with it !
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote