Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th January 2020, 20:52   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Fuel supply problem, petrol

Investigated why the KV6 will start, run for one to five minutes then die from lack of fuel.

Might this be the "yellow clip" issue on the filter?
But why is there such a large number of petrol and vent pipes (five?) running across the front of the petrol tank? Not to mention pipes internal in the tank. I seems an incredibly complicated sysyem I can't work out.
Also, Haynes suggests there is a level sender unit on the filter as well as on the pump. Is this correct? If so there will be electrical connections inside the petrol tank!
Assuming I will have to extract the filter assembly I might as well replace the filter, but I do not understand why a simple filter should cost £40 (Rimmer).
Lot of questions asked here, sorry. In process of getting this car sorted for a trip to Sweden next year.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 07:13   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Investigated why the KV6 will start, run for one to five minutes then die from lack of fuel.
Hi Mike,

By all accounts, a filter casing which has loosened causes the engine not to start at all so I'm doubtful that this is the problem with your car. However it won't do any harm to lift up the filter and attempt to tighten it. You should not need to replace it so save your money!

How have you reached the conclusion that lack of fuel is the reason why the engine is stopping?

Simon
Old 20th January 2020, 13:16   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Also, Haynes suggests there is a level sender unit on the filter as well as on the pump. Is this correct? .

Yes it is - the tank is a saddle design so the only way to accurately measure the amount of fuel in it is to check the level on each side.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 19:22   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
The only way to know is to check if it's fitted. If not fitted, fit one. Xpart isued a tech bulletin in 2005 that late petrol models should have one fitted.
Click: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwu9ob...%2529.pdf/file

Quote:
But why is there such a large number of petrol and vent pipes (five?) running across the front of the petrol tank? Not to mention pipes internal in the tank. I seems an incredibly complicated system I can't work out.
It is a complicated system. Scroll down to Post 4 here: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=271894

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 22:52   #5
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
How have you reached the conclusion that lack of fuel is the reason why the engine is stopping?

Simon

Thanks Simon. Before it started the first time I held the Schaeder valve open with the ignition on - there was no petrol despite hearing the pump running. However started straight away the next day. So the supply is intermittant, I need to find out why.
Old 20th January 2020, 23:10   #6
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
It is a complicated system. Scroll down to Post 4 here: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=271894
TC

Many thanks for this link. It does seem to be an incredibly complicated system with all the pipework (and electrical link between sensors) inside the tank itself. In addition there are several external pipes, including vent pipes which I assume connect to the tank at the two front outer corners.

I think I'm going to have to strip it all out to look for bloackages (the petrol is a tear old) or leaks. At least I've now some idea of how it is supposed to work.
Old 21st January 2020, 09:11   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... I held the Schaeder valve open with the ignition on - there was no petrol despite hearing the pump running.
Quote:
I think I'm going to have to strip it all out to look for blockages ...
Mike; you are making the common mistake of assuming that you have an extremely unlikely fault involving a huge amount of work whilst overlooking a simple phenomenon which is well known in this club.

Check your filter for tightness and presence of the clip!

Simon
Old 21st January 2020, 12:06   #8
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

I know you’ve been having problems with the fuel for a while now but didn’t you buy a pressure gauge or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Anyway, as your car is roughly the same age as my daughter’s have a look at post 26 on this thread https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...=286990&page=3 - slightly different though as hers was difficult to start but once started relatively fine.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2020, 14:21   #9
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

I had a Fuel issue with my 1.8t being that it had low fuel pressure and would just die occasionally when driving. When I picked it up there was a complete fuel pump assembly so I thought it may have had something to do with the pump but I fitted a known good pump and the issue remained (although not as bad)
As with yourself I opened the schrader valve and there was nothing in the rail.

Anyway, I decided to replace the fuel filter and I couldn't believe the state of it! It was completely black and had started to break up. Suppose nearly 90000 miles on the same filter hadn't done much good.
New filter and the issue hasn't returned nearly 10000 miles on.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2020, 20:16   #10
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Thank you Robson, Vitesse and Simon.
Yes, the first thing I was going to do was check the filter and fit the clip. Also, I have been offered a new filter at a sensible price and will also fit that.
Thanks to Tcut for the diagram on how the fuel supply system works. As you say, incredibly complicated, however one worry is that possible blockage sometimes somewhere due to having year or more old fuel in the car, though have put some fresh in recently. (I'm amaxed that an injection car will start on old fuel when there's no chance with a carburetter fitted car).