Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd March 2020, 06:37   #1
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Angry Ever received a slightly dodgy 'technical support' phone call ?

Warning: This may cause your blood to boil !

BBC News - Criminals on CCTV: Scammers caught red-handed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-51660982
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:13   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I keep them hanging on the phone while I go and turn the computer on, then it crashes, then I have to restart it, then someone is at the door etc etc... ����
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:14   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

A woman rang my mother on Friday when I was there about cover for her kitchen appliances, that was inadequate for the value of the items. Mum had the phone on speaker and passed it to me. I said this is Mrs .....'s son here and she doesn't have cover for kitchen appliances and never has, don't ring her again goodbye."A polite way of saying **** off.
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:01   #4
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

We get them all he time (2 or 3 a week!). I just put the phone down these days as I can't be bothered stringing them along any more, but once, a year or so back, I got one of them so wound up that he actually called me back after I put the 'phone down !

I pointed out to him that while he was swearing at me, he wasn't defrauding some other poor soul, so please carry on.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 09:45   #5
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

What a bunch of so & so's We get those calls too on a weekly basis, I don't know how our phone number got onto their calling list because we seldom use the landline. They're persistent if nothing else because I give them a mouthful every time I answer one of their calls.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:47   #6
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's everywhere, I've just (last week) had my first adventure.

I had something for sale on Gu….youknowwhat with a cash-on-collection rider and had an enquiry from someone called Laura. Presuming it was a lady (or whatever you want to call it) I answered the enquiry. 'She' accepted it and said she worked offshore so would not be able to collect it but she had a courier friend who could. All she needed was my paypal account number and my usual name on the account. That was when I terminated her. If indeed it was a 'her'.
With reference to other posts, what's the Latin for Let the Seller beware?
Old 2nd March 2020, 12:22   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

My favourite is when they call from 'Windows'. String them along for a while, when the finally say the magic words, ask me to open 'windows'. ask them to wait for a bit. Come back after five minutes, they are always still there! (Well the three times it has happened lol). They start telling me to download teamviewer, claiming that it is their software (it's always teamviewer lol). I get them to wait again whilst I search. I have looked and looked, but I cannot find any teams or viewers around my windows, but there are birds. It is when I ask them if I can close my windows as it is cold they hang up. One did suggest I ignore the angry birds (one seagull did look rather cross to be fair) and keep looking for teamviewer lol.

It is the genuine ones I feel sorry for, the ones who try to sell the insurances (sometimes genuine policies). They are under pressure in a job they likely hate and without choice, but they still get it from me, demanding where they got my number, and how. Asking details of their company so I can submit a sar to find out when I gave them.permission to take up my time.

I used to have fun with ppi people too, asking where to invoice them.for.my time, and if they had permission to accept the terms of being on the call with me (one woman did cal me back with possibly relevant info on invoicing them! I wasnt expecting it so had to come clean that I had already received my ppi payments lol.

Since registering with the telephone preference service though, these calls have fallen away from 2 or 3 per day to 2 or 3 per month.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 15:37   #8
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Earlier last year my mother had her card cloned and a bogus firm took £96 from her bank for “ appliance cover”: this we got back, then another firm tried the same tactic, but the bank were on to it by then and it flagged up as dodgy, so they blocked her card.. Now even if she does agree to anything on the phone, which she wouldn’t despite her memory trouble, no one can take money from her account as the card can only be used in person now.
Old 3rd March 2020, 17:51   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

I would have said” do you really want me to answer that? “ If so you will find out. Cheeky tw**s
Old 3rd March 2020, 18:27   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Over the last few years I got more than four call from British Gas trying to flog me one sort of cover or another - oddly enough, I recognized the same guy each time. Final call was him telling me that I was wrong in stopping him when I "did not know what advantage" he was offering. I told him that unless he could offer me a better service for less money, then I wasn't interested. He was not a happy bunny and was really getting annoyed, until I finished with "this call is being recorded by your company for supposed training purposes - if you still have a job in the morning I will want to know". no further calls were received.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote