Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st March 2020, 17:54   #11
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Well, I took the car out for a test drive, and there's good news and bad news...

The good news is that the bend has held in place, no problem. Of course, time will tell. The bad news is that it has done nothing to help the problem of lost power or black smoke under acceleration, much to my surprise and disappointment. In fact the amount of black smoke gushing forth was simply embarrassing. I did note after getting back that the hose wasn't pushed far enough onto the bend, so I'm hoping it was that, air escaping under pressure. I pushed it further on and tightened down the jubilee clip. I'll give it a test tomorrow.
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 00:39   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2R View Post
Well, I took the car out for a test drive, and there's good news and bad news...

The good news is that the bend has held in place, no problem. Of course, time will tell. The bad news is that it has done nothing to help the problem of lost power or black smoke under acceleration, much to my surprise and disappointment. In fact the amount of black smoke gushing forth was simply embarrassing.
Quote:
I did note after getting back that the hose wasn't pushed far enough onto the bend, so I'm hoping it was that, air escaping under pressure. I pushed it further on and tightened down the jubilee clip. I'll give it a test tomorrow.
That will have been the problem, the intercooler hose must be tight at all connecting points, also check for any tiny splits as once the boost is called for that tiny split will be like a cavern opening up.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 05:12   #13
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

I hope you're right, Arctic. The hose itself looks fine - it's one of those SFS replacement ones which someone on here was selling a few years back (maybe still).

Would problems in this area cause black smoke, then? I assume they would.
Old 2nd March 2020, 14:00   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Might be the maf?
Old 2nd March 2020, 15:25   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Just to add to what arctic was saying (because I followed the how to, after i attempted to do it from above). When i first got the car I was disappointed in the power, and went forth in checking or replacing known issues (I didn't have huge amounts of smoke though), I replaced the o rings, (which did obviously need to be replaced) but on refitting, I pushed the elbow home hard, but no 'thunk' as often mentioned. But it was in, and tight, so was the mounting screw. Thought nothing more about it, as the smoke lessened.

It was only after I was replacing the hoses I noticed a lot of smoke/oil staining behind the hose. The elbow was obviously leaking. Headlight was out (as I was replacing the bottom hose too - they were half price lol). Refitting was easier with the headlight out, but more importantly, there was a thunk as it seated. There is no staining and less smoke on acceleration (whether this has to do with the hoses or the seating of the elbow I cannot say, but can say it is more precise as well as easier with the headlight removed).

Heavy smoke could also be injectors as well as the maf mentioned above too, but the common issue (and cheaper) is the o rings. A t4 visit may be beneficial at this point.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 16:24   #16
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Nobody let me near their car! The more I do, the worse it gets! I checked to make sure all the hose connections were nice and snug and went for a test drive this afternoon. Under hard acceleration, not only was there the same hideous cloud of smoke, but I could actually hear a hiss coming from the area of the intercooler! Oddly, as I went on, this hiss largely disappeared, but clearly there is something wrong there. I think I'll need to take everything apart again tomorrow and make sure the O-rings are properly in place and the bend pushed home with the requisite thunk.

I would be assuming that something else was causing the smoke if it were not for this hiss, but it does seem that the intercooler piping must still be prime suspect.

Last edited by Johnny2R; 2nd March 2020 at 16:44..
Old 2nd March 2020, 20:38   #17
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Although intercooler o rings would still be prime suspect, have a good look around the intercooler for holes.
There would be a sludgy mess around any hole.
I have had a holed intercooler, but didn’t manifest itself as black smoke though.🤔

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 21:44   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I don't think anybody has mention Turbo-Charger yet.

Could that be the cause of the smoke if all those pipe junctions are now tight ??
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 21:49   #19
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Given that the hose was loose a couple of days ago, I'm kind of assuming that it's still something to do with that. No need at the moment to look elsewhere. I'll know more after tomorrow.
Old 3rd March 2020, 00:48   #20
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2R View Post
Given that the hose was loose a couple of days ago, I'm kind of assuming that it's still something to do with that. No need at the moment to look elsewhere. I'll know more after tomorrow.
Hi John.
In your case it may be better for you to remove the front bumper, and the crash bar, a bit more work 45 minutes maybe first time.

This will give you complete access to the intercooler bend which is seated into the intercooler, make sure the bend and it's viton O-rings are fully pushed home.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote