Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th January 2020, 12:49   #11
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
As you're in Norwich, give Trikey a PM, he's not that far and a whizz

Not sure when Andy (trikey) will be back today as he was staying over in Hull last night after the meet but no doubt he will see this soon.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 15:51   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight View Post
The diagnosis of the fuel pump actually came from the recovery mechanic ...a common fault he had seen many times with the Rover 75.
Ahh, say no more. The recovery mechanic was, no doubt, basing his diagnosis on the diesel engined Rover 75 where fuel pump failure is well known. However this particular fault does not afflict the petrol engined models.
Quote:
To be honest I'm at my wits end, totally my fault i appreciate that in hindsight maybe a little more research before diving in would have been advantageous ..
We've all had to swallow that bitter pill at some time in our lives Saul so I sympathise.
Quote:
So if anyone knows where i could get a used pump like the one i removed I think maybe that would be the best place to start again!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
As you're in Norwich, give Trikey a PM ...

Trikey has just broken a V6 so you might be in luck.

Once you've got back to square one, take Roverbarmy's advice on checking that the filter canister is tightly assembled. Do not dismantle it or you'll land yourself in more trouble. Simply ensure that the two parts are screwed together firmly and fit the preventative clip.

Simon
Old 26th January 2020, 16:15   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Saul, your car is on the cusp of being unaffected by fuel filter module separation.

A simple check to save any further dismantling is easy, the filter module is located in the opposite side of the tank to the pump.

When you look at the top of the module, if there is a loop on the top, it is the earlier type, and wont be affected.

The later type which has a "lattice" type casting to the top is the type that has a filter module which can unscrew, allowing the fuel to be discharged into the nearside of the tank saddle, allowing the offside where the suction side of the pump is to run dry.

In the first picture, the tank neck seal can be clearly seen as being located on the filter module, this diablo shaped seal must be fitted to the tank neck orifice,, and not be left in place on the pump body, or it will prove impossible to refit the pump module to the tank.

You should be able to cannibalise the sender unit from your original pump module in order that the replacement can be repaired.

Best of luck

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2020, 07:52   #14
Rollo_Somerset

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Saul, your car is on the cusp of being unaffected by fuel filter module separation.

A simple check to save any further dismantling is easy, the filter module is located in the opposite side of the tank to the pump.

When you look at the top of the module, if there is a loop on the top, it is the earlier type, and wont be affected.

The later type which has a "lattice" type casting to the top is the type that has a filter module which can unscrew, allowing the fuel to be discharged into the nearside of the tank saddle, allowing the offside where the suction side of the pump is to run dry.

In the first picture, the tank neck seal can be clearly seen as being located on the filter module, this diablo shaped seal must be fitted to the tank neck orifice,, and not be left in place on the pump body, or it will prove impossible to refit the pump module to the tank.

You should be able to cannibalise the sender unit from your original pump module in order that the replacement can be repaired.

Best of luck

Brian
I have the earlier type filter and the filter is removable and has 3 o rings. I am having problems with the fuel going back to the pump side. I think

any advice is appreciated, Thanks
Rollo_Somerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2020, 08:18   #15
Rovercon

Rover 75

Default Wont start

I had same problem, although a couple of times during past weeks i noticed a slight hesitation. Whilst parked on my drive after a 10 mile drive i went to it 6 hours later only to find it wouldnt start.RAC arrived says"There are 2 tanks on the car so he put in £30 of fuel rocked the car side to side still no good.Took to a RAC garage.Problem need a new fuel pump.
Rovercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:28   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovercon View Post
Problem need a new fuel pump.
Terry,

KV6 fuel pumps rarely fail. I urge you to check the following, which will present similar symptoms, before parting with a lot of money.
  • Fuel filter separation, if you have the later design.
  • Crankshaft sensor signal missing.
  • Camshaft sensor failure.

Note that the OP renewed his fuel pump without success.

Simon