Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd April 2020, 11:24   #41
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer conn SE Auto

Default Excess coolant from header tank

Hi TC, Yes I still get the release of pressure when cap is released and I have replaced the cap for the 140 as I always have a couple of new ones in the boot, and yes the new radiator was fitted when all the other work was carried out. What I find odd is that when I have drained the system ( all that will come out )and half filled with plain water then added speed flush and topped up to normal level and ran for approx 10 minutes ,when I undo the two hoses to release it the water is then the colour of the antifreeze and it looks just as strong as new coolant.I tipped water into the header tank to flush it through and water only came from the lower hose and not from where the heater return hose is located.Does this have any bearing on this issue I wonder as it does seem as not all the coolant runs out when hoses are removed.Like you say I may have to detach the upper hoses to release it all,thanks TC , regards Paul
Ginger Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:56   #42
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Teddy View Post
I cannot remove the bleed screw as the head has been rounded off ...
This needs sorting out so that you can follow the official procedure. Is there enough room to attach a pair of grips after flooding the thread with your choice of penetrating fluid? If all else fails, buy a replacement hose complete with new screw.
Quote:
... when I drained system by undoing the heater return hose and the hose at the bottom of the radiator ( where prt thermostat is ) I got about 3 litres of antifreeze out only ...
Your PRT is probably stuck thanks to the K-seal. Also, the 1.8 engine has a bleed valve pin which may well be similarly affected.
Quote:
I have run the engine at a fast idle for 10 minutes ( radiator remained cold ) ...
That suggests that there's no flow through the PRT. Is the pipe containing the bleed screw cold as well?

Simon
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:36   #43
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Yes the PRT has to be checked. Have you not yet done that?
If not, remove it completely from the three hoses and take a good look inside. If it looks clean and normal through each port, pop it into a pan of water and heat it up. You need two see the valve open fully by the time it reaches 90C to simmering.

I'm also reminded of the DTJ - Double Thermostat Jeopardy.
Your engine has a long history of head work. The skimming has been taken to the limit over several changes of gasket and the overheating persists. The DTJ starts when an inexperienced mechanic changes the HG on a later (PRT) 1.8 engine and fits a standard thermostat into the empty housing (behind the head). He probably thinks that stat was removed to reduce the overheating and he's never even heard of a PRT. The result is very much what you're experiencing, gross overheating during even short drives. Maybe it started at the very first head gasket job.

As part of your investigation, I'd suggest you take a look at the upper stat housing. It must not contain anything other than the 'blank/dummy' stat sealing ring.

See this Rimmer drawing for more: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001696
The PRT system has Item 15 instead of Item 6.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 3rd April 2020 at 14:40..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 17:02   #44
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Hi folks, thanks to TC, MGJOHN and Simon for their help and advice.I have not checked the prt this time as I had fitted a new one recently, but I will check this and replace if needed.The hose containing the bleed screw is hot along with all the other hoses.I have noted all your advice and will be putting it into practice over the weekend, checking and double checking so nothing is left to chance.One question I must ask where is the thermostat housing ? I have looked at cambelt side of engine and behind engine and also air filter area and I just cannot see any housing in relation to this.Is it just me ! I totally agree these are lovely old cars and I will do my utmost to keep it going.Obviously spending the money to get the garage to do the work wasn`t fruitful so it is down to me to try and sort this issue along with your invaluable help.Thankyou, regards Paul
Old 4th April 2020, 14:59   #45
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Hi folks, I have made steady progress today and have managed to undo the bleed screw and have left it tightened by hand only.I have removed the PRT and tested it as advised .It is fully working.If somebody could confirm the order the hoses attach to the PRT please. I know the hose from the bottom of the rad goes to the single connection, its the other two I need some confirmation of please.The hose from the t-piece down I have connected to the one opposite the bottom rad connection and the one that has PUMP written on it and goes upwards I have connected to the remaining hose . I have not added any fluids until I have this confirmed.I have seen where the thermostat housing is situated and for the life of me I can`t access it.I have had to leave it for today and will try to have another go tomorrow as weather is favourable. I am not blessed with good physical health so I do struggle with the jobs that need doing, but that aside I have to be sure that I tried and done the best I could, so it`s not over yet, regards Paul
Old 5th April 2020, 08:56   #46
SD1too

Quote:
If somebody could confirm the order the hoses attach to the PRT please.
The connections you have described Paul are correct.

When you refill, be sure to follow the MG Rover procedure exactly. It does actually bleed the system very effectively!

Please activate the digital temperature display and let us know what happens following your first drain and flush.

Simon
Old 5th April 2020, 12:47   #47
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Here's the full picture on the PRT setup.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 11:37   #48
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Hi Simon ,I thought I had the connections right but just needed it confirmed, thankyou. I have printed off before how to access the digital temp display but for some reason cannot put my hands on it.If someone could send me the link please.Thanks also to TC for the full picture on the prt setup also thanks to MGJOHN for the size 8mm bleed bolt modification.I have used the car this morning to get fuel approx 8 miles and had no sign of overheating--eg no coolant being forced from cap or fan cutting in( fitted new PRT yesterday).Just another issue if someone can help,I mentioned before that the alarm pips once when press fob to lock car ( as if something isn`t shut properly ) and it didn`t do it if I pressed down on bonnet where sensor is but now it sets alarm off even when fobs pressed and it doesn`t pip.I have stuck some sponge on the inside of the bonnet where it comes into contact with the sensor button thinking the extra pressure would cure the issue but no it still continues.It`s only done this since it came back from the garage.I did remove the bumper yesterday and repositioned it so it looks and fits correctly, so thats something, Regards Paul
Old 7th April 2020, 10:40   #49
SD1too

Quote:
I have printed off before how to access the digital temp display but for some reason cannot put my hands on it.If someone could send me the link please.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...38&postcount=1

Simon
Old 16th May 2020, 06:25   #50
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Hi folks, I thought I would just give an update on the overheating issue and problems I had been having and since we are able to venture further afield I can report on how the car has been performing.After using speed flush 6 times to try and get rid of the K-seal and fitting a new PRT over a week and only being able to shop locally the car didn`t get a run but saying that, there was no overheating or loosing coolant issues.I have used the digital temp readout on every journey made and it sits around 78 and goes up 82 if caught in traffic or at lights for several minutes .When I continue it settles back to around 78.Do to the lockdown lifting a little I was able to give it a longer run of approx 60 miles on a round trip.Again with checking water level before any journey taken ( level not requiring any adjustment) the temp stayed around 78 and increasing to 82 while at traffic lights and again settles back as I continue.So I am hoping with the help I had from the good folk on here it may live another day and that issue may hopefully be over.As for the chirping of the horn I knew it was from the bonnet as when I pushed down on it sometimes it would stop ,I took the sensor apart and it was full of water so I dried it with a hair dryer and no more problems have occured with that.Just one other issue that has shown up since using the car this last week is that I have a slight drip of oil on drivers side, it drips onto the subframe and is on the wiring that possibly goes to the alternator ,I have not been able to jack it up yet but wondered if anyone has any ideas where this is coming from and it is most definitely engine oil, any advice much appreciated, Regards Paul