Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th April 2020, 12:46   #1
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts
Default Bike wheel

My son’s bike needs a new wheel as the rear axle bearings have collapsed/seized,apparently you can’t buy the axle and bearing kits and a special tool is required to remove the axle anyway, which I don’t have. Has anyone got an old black mountain bike wheel 26 inch with a six speed gear cassette they no longer want? A new one is c£30 which I would pay, but he has almost outgrown this bike now and we will be buying a new one for his birthday in autumn, so not worth replacing the wheel with a new one as the bike itself would only fetch that amount second hand.
Old 6th April 2020, 18:50   #2
harrisop48
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer Club CDTi 2.0 2002 Royal Blue Paint JFM Trim LBB

Thanked 1,043 Times in 364 Posts

Hi Rich,

You ask for a black wheel. Availability from second hand sources is 10% whereas a silver wheel is 90%. A wheel is a wheel whatever the colour.
5 - 6 - 7 speed block will do. Is it a solid axle with nuts.
Suggest you contact any local mountain bike or cycling club. Lots of members hoard wheels.
Have a look at You Tube - reference 6 speed cassette removal. You may be able to borrow the splined tool from some one.
Will send you a PM with my contact details so we can discuss further.
harrisop48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 18:56   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Give me 24 hours, I have a certain person on the case Rich...
Old 6th April 2020, 19:17   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
My son’s bike needs a new wheel as the rear axle bearings have collapsed/seized,apparently you can’t buy the axle and bearing kits and a special tool is required to remove the axle anyway, which I don’t have. Has anyone got an old black mountain bike wheel 26 inch with a six speed gear cassette they no longer want? A new one is c£30 which I would pay, but he has almost outgrown this bike now and we will be buying a new one for his birthday in autumn, so not worth replacing the wheel with a new one as the bike itself would only fetch that amount second hand.
Unless it is some kind of fancy wheel, get some new bearings. Remove the axle by undoing the locknuts then the cones (which go into the ball race), then smear some grease into the recess within the hub, place the loose bearings onto the grease, until the recess has been filled with ball bearings. Pack with grease, and replace any caps. Refit the axle, and tighten the cones until they are firm, but the wheel spins freely. Tighten the locknuts, refit wheel and job is done - plus no more collapsing seizing wheel.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 19:22   #5
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanks Peter and Andy. Peter I looked on youtube but the locking is totally different to the one on this wheel. I borrowed the wheel from my wife’s bike which has the same size wheels
Old 6th April 2020, 19:47   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Unless it is some kind of fancy wheel, get some new bearings. Remove the axle by undoing the locknuts then the cones (which go into the ball race), then smear some grease into the recess within the hub, place the loose bearings onto the grease, until the recess has been filled with ball bearings. Pack with grease, and replace any caps. Refit the axle, and tighten the cones until they are firm, but the wheel spins freely. Tighten the locknuts, refit wheel and job is done - plus no more collapsing seizing wheel.
I got the axle out and the bearings on the non drive side fell,out, it’s not that that is the problem. The block(gear cassette seems stuck even with the axle removed it won’t spin freely, it’s catching on something.
Old 6th April 2020, 20:59   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
I got the axle out and the bearings on the non drive side fell,out, it’s not that that is the problem. The block(gear cassette seems stuck even with the axle removed it won’t spin freely, it’s catching on something.
The cassette will be easier to replace than rebuild. But I would make sure there is no cage remaining. I am not sure if they are still made with a race (I imagine mass produced ones would be). The wheel should still be able to turn on the axle. You can fiddle with it to remove the cage and bearings, but it is difficult. You will need something like one of THESE (there are different types and sizes - see the suggestions below the listing). Once it has been removed, it will be plain sailing.

THIS video guides you through the process.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 6th April 2020 at 21:05..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 22:59   #8
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
The cassette will be easier to replace than rebuild. But I would make sure there is no cage remaining. I am not sure if they are still made with a race (I imagine mass produced ones would be). The wheel should still be able to turn on the axle. You can fiddle with it to remove the cage and bearings, but it is difficult. You will need something like one of THESE (there are different types and sizes - see the suggestions below the listing). Once it has been removed, it will be plain sailing.

THIS video guides you through the process.
Already been there Alan that type of tool no good there is no way it will fit. I will take a photo tomorrow and post up. Watched that vid twice already totally different fit to both. It does have Shimano gears though
Old 7th April 2020, 07:09   #9
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Pictures please.

Quote:
Already been there Alan that type of tool no good there is no way it will fit. I will take a photo tomorrow and post up. Watched that vid twice already totally different fit to both. It does have Shimano gears though
Show us some pictures of the wheel and cassette, I might have something to sort you out.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 08:42   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Will get some this morning Mike