Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th December 2019, 10:49   #1
the dutch guy

Default V6 massive oil leak

My 2.5 V6 estate (auto) i got from my dad that passed away was always riding lower and have more boat-like suspention then my saloon 2.0 V6 (manual) that is much tighter, and it would CONSTANTLY scrape certain speedpumps in my town on the exaust. i learnd to live with it for the time but sometimes the scraping was a bit more of a "bad sound" then usual.

yesterday i checked the oil and the level was nearly at the bottom of the stick.
so i chucked in about 1 liter and thought i was done with it. my own 2.0 also likes to drink oil and at this point i expect it from british cars. (dutch army had LOTS of defenders that used more oil then diesel)

but then i noticed a puddle under the car directy after filling.

it is REALLY just seeping out about as fast as i can fill it back up, its seeping out at the front of the engine, but due to the poor weather and oil leakage i cant find the exact location yet.

i expect the oil pan/carter to have had a rough encounter in the last week or so and have cracked.

my questions:
is the oil pan/carter replacable without taking out the whole engine?

if so: can it be welded? it looks like alu, but cant be sure if its weldable.

can i swap parts from a 2.0 into the 2.5? ar the part numers the same and does anyone have the part numbers? i can possibly use my 2.0 or scavenge parts at the scrapper.

id rather sacrifice my 2.0 and having to scrap the 2.5. the 2.5 is considerably better kitted out (electric seats, auto box, estate, tow bar and so on).

ps: worst case: can i swap engine blocks so i can make a 2.0 auto?

Last edited by the dutch guy; 24th December 2019 at 10:54..
the dutch guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2019, 11:06   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

This diagram may help:-
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001706
and
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID999770

If you have the sump off, change the seal on the pick up pipe as there were issues with some early ones.
Mike
Old 24th December 2019, 11:18   #3
the dutch guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
This diagram may help:-
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001706
and
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID999770

If you have the sump off, change the seal on the pick up pipe as there were issues with some early ones.
Mike
thanks for that, seems that part numbers are the same.
if i replace it then i will replace all gaskets and rings i can reach.
is replacing the oil cooler also recommend? i do read some people have issues with them, is it really a thing to spend money on or should i leave it?
Old 24th December 2019, 12:26   #4
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

The ground clearance is quoted here https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ind...hepage=75-info
Compare height of wheel arches from the ground also with your 2.0 . If the difference is significant it will be worth checking the front springs for breakage , and also looking for colour bands on the springs to see if wrong ones have been fitted
The springs can break near the bottom and go undetected for some time .
Are the wheel rims and tyres a suitable size or could someone have tinkered ?
Just a few thoughts as Christmas can be boring
Old 14th January 2020, 21:48   #5
the dutch guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
The ground clearance is quoted here https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ind...hepage=75-info
Compare height of wheel arches from the ground also with your 2.0 . If the difference is significant it will be worth checking the front springs for breakage , and also looking for colour bands on the springs to see if wrong ones have been fitted
The springs can break near the bottom and go undetected for some time .
Are the wheel rims and tyres a suitable size or could someone have tinkered ?
Just a few thoughts as Christmas can be boring
just a update.

thankfully (i think) the pan was not cracked. the problem was one of the flexible bits of the oil line has come off (!) the fixed pipe on the end that leads to the oil cooler.
right now its put back on and held in place with 2 hose clamps until i know for sure there has not been engine damage due to the loss in oil pressiure several times. so i will keep driving for a while like this until i know the bearings have survived. i might get a shop to replace them preventively but considering the cost i am on the fence.

also measured the sag, its about 2 inches (5cm) lower as it should be, wich on itself is not the worst thing but it likes to bottom out WAY too easy. my normal 2L V6 does not have this issue and does not handle like a boat, its way thighter despite having done more miles and being older.

you guys implicate that there are different springs as it is possible to fit the wrong ones. i have checked but i cant see any colored bands and no indication of breakage. it would also mean all 4 would have broken.

how do i know what the right springs are, considering i have a 2.5 automatic tourer i recon i need the heaviest springs.

Last edited by the dutch guy; 14th January 2020 at 23:05..
Old 16th January 2020, 09:13   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dutch guy View Post
... also measured the sag, its about 2 inches (5cm) lower as it should be, wich on itself is not the worst thing but it likes to bottom out WAY too easy. my normal 2L V6 does not have this issue and does not handle like a boat ...
Shock absorbers?

Simon
Old 16th January 2020, 12:44   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dutch guy View Post
how do i know what the right springs are, considering i have a 2.5 automatic tourer i recon i need the heaviest springs.
This link to the Rimmers' site gives the data ; the spring data is about halfway through the listings and gives the colour codes and part numbers for each model . I think the diesel has the stiffest front springs due to the weight of the engine .
https://rimmerbros.com/content--name...le-Information