Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th May 2015, 08:28   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhouse View Post
The mechanic says it’s not worth looking for another engine as the cost plus fitting will far exceed the value of the car.
Hello Terry,

I agree with my colleagues above. Take no notice of what the mechanic says. What business is it of his anyway? The financial value of the car is irrelevant for the reasons you've read above. If you want to keep the car, then obtain a replacement short engine but don't let that mechanic fit it.

But there's one thing about this which concerns me, and it's this:
Quote:
Plus, it’s just had the cambelts done!
Hmmm, funny that an oil cooler line should break just after a garage visit when the car's survived for 115,000 miles. We've never had that problem reported on the forum before.

Don't make any hasty decisions Terry. I think Gavin, who advertises on the forum, might offer mobile repair services and if so, ask him if he could do an engine swap for you. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Simon
Old 9th May 2015, 09:44   #12
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

"Not worth repairing" what a load of ****!
This is only true if it's poor body wise - ie rust, suspension bushes, links, brakes, exhaust etc. if these are all well in service life, and you're not going to want to sell the car, fix it.
But ask on here for a replacement engine, and someone who could do the swap for you.
If it has seized, it will be a bottom end seizure, it's scrap, the main and big end bearings will have scored or spun on the crank, not worth saving.
Good luck, and tell that mechanic he's talking out his backside
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 09:57   #13
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default Keep it :)

Steve has hit the nail on the head, pick up another engine for less than a set of tyres.

The car has got to be worth doing, hopefully one of the members on here who are local to you can offer their help, or try a local mobile mechanic, they are very much cheaper than a garage to fit an engine.

If you replace the car, you could still end up with a huge bill within the first 6 months on a new set of problems.

Good luck, all the best.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 16:51   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I would suggest contacting Colin (2Diesels)

He is stripping a V6 at the moment, and the mileage is similar to your own.

The engine itself is very good indeed, and would be an ideal fix for your car.

While the engine is out of the car, that is an ideal time to replace the cambelts waterpump etc.

Sy for sake of argument cost of engine, plus shipping, plus parts and fitting is £700, what sort of car would that buy you

Colin can be contacted HERE , and I daresay with his connections to the haulage industry could arrange a palleted delivery.

Best of luck

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 07:16   #15
Chuckles
Gets stuck in

NOW a Club Tourer was 1999 - 75 2.0Ltr Connoisseur SE petrol Saloon

I would certainly keep the car going.

True they are worthless on the open market, but where else would you have such a lot of car for the money, and it is YOURS! And you obviously love it! - Priceless...
I had the same predicament. Not using the car I did contemplate selling it ... then found out what they were going for! So it went into mothballs.
I am due to Re-commission it later in the year and look forward to driving it again.
Membership #1896
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 08:12   #16
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

I've got an engine hoist and have done engine swaps. All though my health isn't great I can help out with the swap. All we need is a bit of muscle, spanner happy hands and a free weekend. I've also got a trailer that I've used to collect spare engines.

As Brian has stated, do the belts whilst the lump is out of the car which isn't a daunting prospect.

Yours is a 2001, so that will be an early oil cooler/sump, which at worst will mean a sump change if you purchase a later engine.

Last edited by RodgerD; 10th May 2015 at 08:18..
RodgerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 16:37   #17
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Well Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerD View Post
I've got an engine hoist and have done engine swaps. All though my health isn't great I can help out with the swap. All we need is a bit of muscle, spanner happy hands and a free weekend. I've also got a trailer that I've used to collect spare engines.

As Brian has stated, do the belts whilst the lump is out of the car which isn't a daunting prospect.

Yours is a 2001, so that will be an early oil cooler/sump, which at worst will mean a sump change if you purchase a later engine.
A great offer and it shows why this forum is the best...I wish I was nearer, I'd find some time to help if I could. There's no doubt that this car should be mended as said above. If the insurers are willing to pay up to £700 to repair my car, it shows the values are rising and every 75/ZT is worth saving at this time.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 21:25   #18
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

If you can, the thing to do is borrow, buy a cheap runabout while you fix your car, this will allow you to do the job properly, and you can allways give back/sell the cheap runabout when you've finished.
Rover 200s are simple, cheap cars, I'd recommend a 1400 petrol
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 21:37   #19
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I would suggest contacting Colin (2Diesels)

He is stripping a V6 at the moment, and the mileage is similar to your own.

The engine itself is very good indeed, and would be an ideal fix for your car.

While the engine is out of the car, that is an ideal time to replace the cambelts waterpump etc.

Sy for sake of argument cost of engine, plus shipping, plus parts and fitting is £700, what sort of car would that buy you

Colin can be contacted HERE , and I daresay with his connections to the haulage industry could arrange a palleted delivery.

Best of luck

Brian
I have a van and could collect from Col's and take as far as Scotch Corner services in North Yorkshire, if it could be collected and taken further south from there via Pony Express.