Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th November 2019, 16:44   #1
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Default Length of rear arms

Evening all
Wifey is going to buy me a blasting cabinet for xmas and I was wondering what the length is of the rear arms as I got an advisory on the last mot for a rusty rear end.
Or any recommendations for a cabinet

Thanks in advance

Stan
Old 10th November 2019, 18:55   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

take a look at a sealey sb974 cabinet and don't get one smaller then that. I have the SB974 and do arms in it. Pretty sure I can turn them round in it.

My only complaint is the light is at the back of the cabinet and so I fitted a second light at the front. There is a place to fit a dust extractor and doors at each end

I use glass beads https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/20kg...bead-abrasive/

what size compressor have you as you need one that can deliver a lot of air, I have
this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Elec.../dp/B01HN5UWLG

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 19:16   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

this is cheap
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-To...8AAOSwFNBdq0XN

macafee2
Old 10th November 2019, 20:35   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Evening all
Wifey is going to buy me a blasting cabinet for xmas and I was wondering what the length is of the rear arms as I got an advisory on the last mot for a rusty rear end.
Or any recommendations for a cabinet

Thanks in advance

Stan
I cannot give recommendations for either, nor the size of the arms. But an approximate size of the arms, is slightly less than half the width of the car (perhaps 5/12th lol? ) But it will give you an approximation if no one can help.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 20:48   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I recommend not bothering with a sandblast cabinet, unless you have a huge compressor.

These are hugely air hungry, and at a minimum for a media cabinet of the size of the one linked to, you would need a compressor with FAD of circa 30 CFM minimum for it to operate correctly.

Apart from anything else, they take up a huge amount of space, are rarely used, and they won't be man enough to decraminate the upper rear arms for instance.

You would be better off taking them to a shotblaster, and enjoy the cathartic effect of painting the freshly blasted arms

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 21:19   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I recommend not bothering with a sandblast cabinet, unless you have a huge compressor.

These are hugely air hungry, and at a minimum for a media cabinet of the size of the one linked to, you would need a compressor with FAD of circa 30 CFM minimum for it to operate correctly.

Apart from anything else, they take up a huge amount of space, are rarely used, and they won't be man enough to decraminate the upper rear arms for instance.

You would be better off taking them to a shotblaster, and enjoy the cathartic effect of painting the freshly blasted arms

Brian
Your right Brian about space and rarely used. The compressor I linked to works well with the cabinet I linked to. The two places I wanted to fit the compressor were too small but I found space.
The glass beads I use also do a good job on arms. Add to that a new power supply to the garage may be needed, I had to install a new mains cable. The total cost of everything..... about 4k but I get enjoyment from cleaning my own stuff and its convenient. I have no idea how much it costs to run but that I take on the chin for the enjoyment.
Airline, joints and a regulator to set the correct pressure will also be needed.

macafee2
Old 11th November 2019, 05:41   #7
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Thanks so far.

My compressor is 100lt , 14.6 cfm and was thinking of one of the smaller bench mounted cabinets which is why I wanted the arm size to see if they would fit.

The sealey one you linked to is either huge or the roof is very low.

I have quite a few bits of both cars and bits off the bike to do so initially it will get some use.

Stan
Old 11th November 2019, 16:09   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Thanks so far.

My compressor is 100lt , 14.6 cfm and was thinking of one of the smaller bench mounted cabinets which is why I wanted the arm size to see if they would fit.

The sealey one you linked to is either huge or the roof is very low.

I have quite a few bits of both cars and bits off the bike to do so initially it will get some use.

Stan
Make your own?

I made my own from plastic storage boxes for small components. two holes in the side, poundland floor tiles on the back and base and a clear piece of perspex cut into the lid, using heavy rubber gauntlets, £20 it cost and it worked! But the compressor was not up to the task, so ultimately had the parts done professionally.

I was even going to use a garden plastic storage container for my subframe lol

The cost/use of buying a cabinet then storing would be an issue for me. However, if it does start to get in the way, it is one of those things that will hold its value quite well, and there is always someone wanting to buying one.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote