Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th May 2020, 18:12   #11
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

I used magnetic garage storage rails which were really good I was bought a mechanics chest of drawers which have now taken over for car tools.
The magnetic rails are all over the garage with my other tools, even strong enough for quite heavy items. Plenty on the bay. The good lady has one in the kitchen for knives, tells me most useful bit of DIY ever!!
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 18:21   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Another option is some foam and cut out to suit each spanner
I was looking into this for my spanner drawer, and concluded that it would take up too much room lol.

But I will share what I was going to do.

Before spending a lot of money on drawer organisers etc, you could get those foam floor panels that are occasionally on offer in the likes of Poundstretcher or B and M etc. Use a coloured one for the base, and black (or another contrasting colour for the upper part. Cut the appropriate shapes in the black/upper pad, then stick it to the lower coloured pad. (When a tool is removed, the contrast makes it obvious).

These pads are around £10 for 6 or as many as 10, and certainly a lot cheaper than the dedicated ones. But having a full drawer of spanners ,means I didnt have the space to do the neat liner idea. So they could be an idea to experiment with?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 19:15   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts
Default slightly OTT.......

But good fun
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2020, 03:18   #14
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I have the same problem. I long ago ran out of wall space and my wrenches currently live in a tool chest, laid out by size (Two of each size, one ratcheting combination and one fixed combination) In spite of a non slip mat in the drawer every time the drawer is opened or closed they shift position and it drives me nuts.
Just a couple of days ago I was surfing TikTok (Don't judge me! ) and came across a video that happened to show a modern day US Army mechanic's truck.
These must have been designed with no budget cap as they are check full of built in tool boxes filled with Snap-on tools.
The wrench drawer happened to be open and the wrenches were stored on edge in custom cut high density foam. This may be a solution as the foam could be cut for any number of wrenches and would not have to be full length, just enough to hold the wrenches in place. The sizes could be written on the top of the foam. I am going to give it a try and see how it works.
Old 27th May 2020, 06:54   #15
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

I use the drawer in my tool chest. However I have added painted colour-coded rings to the spanners (and sockets too) for easier selection. The code I use is from my work days in electronics - the standard resistor colours.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2020, 08:50   #16
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

I think the foam is the way to go , I used the foam exercise mats in my old tool chest and cut around the tools but it takes up to much room.
Plus I have too many spanners , who needs 9 13mm spanners

I think I will layer the foam in 3 layers then slice down so the spanners are laying on edge rather than flat.

Rummage time after breakfast for the foam mat and spray adhesive that are in the black hole somewhere

Stan
Old 27th May 2020, 11:22   #17
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I think the foam is the way to go , I used the foam exercise mats in my old tool chest and cut around the tools but it takes up to much room.
Plus I have too many spanners , who needs 9 13mm spanners

I think I will layer the foam in 3 layers then slice down so the spanners are laying on edge rather than flat.

Rummage time after breakfast for the foam mat and spray adhesive that are in the black hole somewhere

Stan

You can never have too many spanners.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 19:55   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I bought a Pelican toolcase after seeing one at work a few years ago as they looked very rugged and I was impressed with the tool trays. Once I'd got it I found out Pelican didn't do trays - they had been made bespoke by the company employing the engineers.

It sat in the back of the garage for a couple of years gathering dust until I finally got round to doing something with it. Bought a few sheets of ABS plastic and made up my own dividers and trays to fit everything I need to carry.

The open ended cut down 10mm spanner doesn't sit flush with the rest of them because the old one broke and despite ordering the same make the replacement was slighty longer.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 6th June 2020 at 20:00..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 08:56   #19
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Default Problem solved

Found the perfect solution to my problem of too many spanners and how to store them....
Went and brought a new set!!!
Sealey , 6 thru 22 with a lifetime guarantee

Stan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200607_095322.jpg (119.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 7th June 2020, 10:54   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Where do I start? I have spanner’s and associated items in:- two drawers of the Welsh dresser in the front room, (please don’t mention spanner’s to my wife). Converted bottom of my wardrobe in the rear bedroom to a tool store ( grinder, drills, wall paper steamer, combi dremel set,electric tacker, grinding wheels and diamond cut wheels, electric jig saw and gubbins, plus a few other things. The shed, 10ft x 6ft, that’s a laugh. I can just about get in and shut the door with the supposed ‘rubbish’ my wife’s description, that is in there. Let’s put it this way, I could do with a double garage........with extension. Oh sorry, forgot the 3 ton trolley jack in the conservatory and an old brass shoebox with polishes and mitts, spray oils, and other things. Think I need a warehouse.