Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th June 2015, 13:24   #1
kaz5464

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Default Help please - is my car worth repairing?

Hi

I really need some guidance as to whether I should keep my Rover 75, or give it up as a lost cause!

This is my 2nd Rover 75. My 1st, a Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT in heritage white lasted 14 years and had just under 200k on the clock. The clutch had gone and it really wasn’t worth spending money on it for various reasons. I did love it and have kept it for any spare parts.

My 2nd Rover is a 53 reg Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi, in excellent condition and has done 104k. It has been in the garage for over 3 months now, bar 3 days! It initially broke down on March 2nd. The AA said the under bonnet fuel pump seemed to be fine and he suspected it was the ECU. My garage however replaced the fuel pump, then decided it was the ECU. I finally got the car back on 30th April, with a bill of nearly £600, but I was happy .

The car however broke down just 3 days later. The AA guy said it was likely the fuel pump relay, as he took it out and it was rusty. So back to the garage. The garage replaced this (the one from my old car was no good apparently), but the car still wouldn’t start. They then said it’s the main fuel pump and that’s an expensive job, both in parts and labour. I asked if the fuel pump from my old rover was any good. I was told a few days later it’s a different model and oh by the way your timing belt has gone too. They then said the car isn’t worth doing as it’ll be £500 in parts at least and a big job, so labour costs will be huge and I am best off using the money towards a new car. I can’t afford a new car, and after having spent at least £7 to 800 (not had the bill for the relay yet), I can’t just write it off… or should I? I keep saying to the garage I will source a second hand fuel pump. My last Rover had a few second hand parts!

I really feel the car is worth it, because it is worth it to me. I am sure once it is fixed, it will go onto to do 200k like my last car, or am I being too optimistic?

Can anyone advise how many hours labour would be typical to replace the fuel pump and also how can the garage know the timing belt has gone? Also is this a big job? I have seen posts where these should be replaced every 60k anyway.

Any advice will be greatly received.

Thank you!
kaz5464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 13:33   #2
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

My first suggestion would be to get it away from that garage ASAP!! seems they don't have a clue about the car and can't be bothered with it. The CDT and CDTi are exactly the same engine and the same parts the only difference being the ECU map, any parts from your spare would be the same.
Also the reason the timing belt has "gone" is that there isn't one to begin with the CDT engine uses a timing Chain instead

When you say the car broke down, how did it happen?
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 13:41   #3
ricardo65
This is my second home

mgzt cdti 160.mgzt 1.8t mg6 1.8t

Thanked 1,652 Times in 969 Posts

As above get it away from that garage as soon as possible and get it to somebody who understand these cars before you end up with a horrendous bill as your at Selby I would be getting in touch with trikey or big Russ both are accessible from where you are they will sort they car for you
ricardo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 14:39   #4
pinebob
Posted a thing or two

rover75 cdt

karen,as above get in touch with trikey he is at barton on humber not far from you,he will sort the car out for you,stop throwing silly money away,his details are in traders section,last one at the bottom,
Old 15th June 2015, 14:46   #5
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

It's great that you've got a ready source of spares for your car, and if you can get one of the trusted traders on here to do the work then I've no doubt that it'll be up and running soon and for far less than your usual garage would have done it. However, these cars are knocking on a bit now, so whilst mechanically your replacement may well be capable of 200K+ miles, it'll likely be rust and rot that finish it off before then (suspension arms, sills, etc.)

I'd say that the condition of underside metalwork will be the determining factor on whether or not the car is worth spending money on - they are nice, but it has to be a decision made with the head not the heart if it's your daily driver.
Sector-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 15:02   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Timing belt

Get your car out of that garage quick smart

As said given your location Big Russ will assist I'm sure

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 16:04   #7
kaz5464

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Many thanks for all your replies. I certainly feel more positive now and will take it elsewhere! I do think they just can't be bothered. I'll get in touch with Big Russ or trikey. I think it is worth getting it fixed, especially as spent a fair bit already.

To answer bubs question, the 1st time it broke down, it had been intermittently not starting, then starting after a few attempts over a few days, before not starting at all. The 2nd time, my son was driving it. He said he reversed out of a car park space, and he just thought he had stalled it. It started again but then died just a few yards later.

Thank you all again.
kaz5464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 16:45   #8
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Hi Karen a belated welcome to the 'club' I note this is your second 75 and that you joined way back in 2011 yet to date have posted just twice, both in this thread.

I cannot help but think of the money, time, effort and worry you could have saved by becoming more active here long ago.

General garages do not have the 'know how' to maintain our cars, and free really expert advice is available 24/7 from our members, and all for Free.

Don't become a stranger again, read the forums when you feel you have a problem, ask for advice before booking into any garage (unless one recommended here) and don't be shy or feel you're imposing, we hate to see people get poor advice or get ripped off intentionally or otherwise.

Follow this thread for best advice, and prove to yourself just how good the 'club' is.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 16:53   #9
hamster19
Gets stuck in

tourer conn CDTI

One of the main reasons I bought one of these cars is because they have not got a belt, but a chain, surely every garage would know that fact ?
hamster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 17:13   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I wouldn't entrust my car to a garage who told me it had a timing chain either mind.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote