Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th June 2020, 16:15   #1
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default T4 on a Dell Latitude

Picked up T4 a while back but I just can’t get the software to install on the Dell C610 laptop. A complete novice when it comes to Windows but tried many times and failed, RDS 5.06 seems to install correctly as does Omitec Caps but then … and the final test reports 100s of file inconsistencies. Drivers issue? XP SP1 or SP2?
My son has what I imagine to be a Neo type friend, spends his life in darkness on a diet Red Bull supposed to be a Windows wizard but the machine and discs were returned to me today unsuccessfully installed.
Now wondering if there are any T4 owners with the same Dell laptop (original?) who might be able to help get what is possibly one of the last machines in Sweden working again?

Hopefully …
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 16:55   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Picked up T4 a while back but I just can’t get the software to install on the Dell C610 laptop. A complete novice when it comes to Windows but tried many times and failed, RDS 5.06 seems to install correctly as does Omitec Caps but then … and the final test reports 100s of file inconsistencies. Drivers issue? XP SP1 or SP2?
My son has what I imagine to be a Neo type friend, spends his life in darkness on a diet Red Bull supposed to be a Windows wizard but the machine and discs were returned to me today unsuccessfully installed.
Now wondering if there are any T4 owners with the same Dell laptop (original?) who might be able to help get what is possibly one of the last machines in Sweden working again?

Hopefully …
The file system integrity test is nonsense, a carry over from the original RDS 3.01 used on TestBook™.

Here are the results from my own T4 which definitely works ok

In fact here it is connected to the Freelander™, just look at the dealer options on offer ..........

Are the LAN settings correct, and is it connecting to the interface? all questions that need to be answered.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg file test.jpg (74.4 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg market set.jpg (111.8 KB, 256 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 17:12   #3
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Many thanks for your reply, especially the knowledge that the file system inconsistencies can be ignored as I had imagined that was crucial.

I think I checked the LAN settings previously, was that the one with a standard IP address? Please remind me. And how do I check it's connecting to the interface, is that part of the Integrity tests? I have noticed that the handheld device is active.

Your help is appreciated.

Mike
Old 5th June 2020, 17:52   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

The IP address for the network adaptor must be set at 192.168.001.002 and the speed set 10 MBS half duplex with line negotiation off.

If the network adaptor set to obtain an IP address automatically, it won't work, nor if the speed and duplex are set incorrectly.

The green LAN LED should be lit on the interface constantly, and the yellow LED flash when traffic is on the line
Old 5th June 2020, 18:05   #5
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

OK, I think you said earlier that the IP address was automatically assigned by the RDS disc (?) but I can check it's as per your post. And I gather I'll find the set speed 10 MBS with line negotiation off under network settings?

The laptop is in the spare room at the moment but I'll reconnect it to the T4 tomorrow and see if I can see any green (constant) or yellow lights (flashing) and report back.

Thanks again
Old 6th June 2020, 10:05   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Slowly getting there (I think) but now stuck - Brian says "line negotiation off" so I have a look around network settings but can't find anything that relates, ask Mr. Google but he just want to show me lots of ads.

Anyone who can advise please?

Regards

Update. No vehicles found on DST0006V but when I used an older copy (DST0004) I have the full choice of vehicles. But no LAN lights, not green or yellow, and when I try to connect to the car it says reports a problem with the red lead, tells me to try the blue one and then says there’s a problem with the long patch lead. Luckily I have TOAF for my cars but I would have liked to be able to help local owners with other variants.

Last edited by vitesse; 6th June 2020 at 11:55.. Reason: More information
Old 6th June 2020, 13:56   #7
VikingMG
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T, R75 1.8T Tourer,R75 2,5 V6

Maybe someone who know the settings can do a TeamViewer with you and fix it?
VikingMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 15:11   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the input. I used Team Viewer many years ago when we did the remote T4 project, very easy. I asked Brian about the same but he has never used it. Just hoping someone more at home with Windows than me can figure things out, or perhaps has the same kind of Dell (original computer?).

At the moment I'm lost. But the fact that the LAN diodes don't give any indication of a connection seems to point to a network issue.

Regards from a very wet Sweden
Old 6th June 2020, 15:16   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Slowly getting there (I think) but now stuck - Brian says "line negotiation off" so I have a look around network settings but can't find anything that relates, ask Mr. Google but he just want to show me lots of ads.

Anyone who can advise please?

Regards

Update. No vehicles found on DST0006V but when I used an older copy (DST0004) I have the full choice of vehicles. But no LAN lights, not green or yellow, and when I try to connect to the car it says reports a problem with the red lead, tells me to try the blue one and then says there’s a problem with the long patch lead. Luckily I have TOAF for my cars but I would have liked to be able to help local owners with other variants.
The lead check is the first failure point when the interface isn't talking to the PC,

So no green light, is the interface powered up with the mains lead? it the LAN lead OK? and another thing to check.......there is a small hole next to the LAN socket on the interface.

Inside this hole is a crossover switch for the LAN, and you might wish to toggle the position, a jewellers screwdriver or similar will be needed.

Keep going, you will get there

Brian
Old 6th June 2020, 15:31   #10
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The lead check is the first failure point when the interface isn't talking to the PC,

So no green light, is the interface powered up with the mains lead? it the LAN lead OK? and another thing to check.......there is a small hole next to the LAN socket on the interface.

Inside this hole is a crossover switch for the LAN, and you might wish to toggle the position, a jewellers screwdriver or similar will be needed.

Keep going, you will get there

Brian
I've checked the actual LAN lead first by substituting it for another, and then tested the original lead on my Mac Mini and it checked out fine. Not sure what you mean by the interface, can't see any power indicator on the unit (name?) immediately below the laptop but the handheld tester bay has two green led lights which are illuminated.

Can I forget the line negotiation or is this still a hurdle?

Sorry for the all the questions, wish the ferry was still running to Newcastle!

Mike

ps think I found the toggle button - labelled MDIX - will try again tomorrow

Last edited by vitesse; 6th June 2020 at 17:33.. Reason: additional info