Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2017, 18:21   #1
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Default Ebay

I have now entered into an auction situation on Ebay .On both occasions I was the highest bidder .Neither listing had Buy it now prices ,Neither were classified Ads On both occasions the items were ended early and sold .What is the legality of this?.When a bid is placed you enter into a contract .Why are sellers not held to task.Your opinions please Ladies and Gentlemen
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 18:39   #2
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Hi Howard. I have, in the past, sold items on ebay. I like the idea of an auction so I never put a buy it now price on it. But the number of people who contact me making offers if I sell to then is legion. If I'd taken them up on their offer I would have had to end the auction early. I'm sure that people can sell anything they want to privately and delist items.
I have also bought stuff off ebay and had refunds because they had sold out or were mistaken about how many they had to offer.
Swings and roundabouts I'm afraid, but there are millions of people around the world using ebay, You can probably find alternatives. But yes, if you buy something you should get it.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 18:40   #3
djb222
Regular poster

MG ZT+ 190, Range Rover Sport 2010, 1968 Lotus Elan S4 SE

You are correct once a bid has been received on an item, you are not allowed to end the auction because someone has made an offer. I suspect that an offer was made and it is probably recorded in their messages. eBay look upon this very badly, they have software that looks for phone numbers etc in messages to try and stop this. If you complain to eBay they will look into it.

I have been approached several times with offers after bids have been made, I always refuse.

eBay is heavily biased towards the buyer quite often unfairly, so complain.

I recently sold a pair of new Boss jeans with labels, the buyer then complained they were fake. I refused to accept the return as they were genuine. I complained to ebay about a false claim, they said I had a valid case but still found in favour of the buyer, how bad is that. Another phone call and they agreed I was correct as I pointed out that in messages from the buyer he agreed they were genuine but didn't fit. As it happens I still have to give a refund ( I'll get the jeans back plus a refund from eBay of the refund I had to give the buyer) CRAZZZZZY.

This vehicle was the 17,986th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 3,967th ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
This vehicle was the 195th ZT in Mica Blue (Ignition) (code: JGY) to be made out of 323 Mica Blue (Ignition) ZTs
djb222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 19:00   #4
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

You can end an auction and sell to the highest bidder.

The problem with ebay is that buyers can bid and win an auction then not pay for it so why would you not sell to someone who is there offering to purchase.

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 19:16   #5
djb222
Regular poster

MG ZT+ 190, Range Rover Sport 2010, 1968 Lotus Elan S4 SE

Because if someone has already made a bid, it's unfair, dishonest and against eBay rules...

This vehicle was the 17,986th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 3,967th ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
This vehicle was the 195th ZT in Mica Blue (Ignition) (code: JGY) to be made out of 323 Mica Blue (Ignition) ZTs
djb222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 20:11   #6
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

So is not paying for an item you have won but ebay does not force the buyer. In fact these days they dont even get negative feedback.

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 20:13   #7
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I find it difficult to understand why items reach a certain figure, end and are then resisted a few days later. I got a bid cancelled by a seller who then apparently sold it for £10 more than I bid but then relisted again! What was wrong with my bid? Not enough? Auction is all about a bid winning. End of auction, not hang around until the price is high enough.
Old 29th August 2017, 20:22   #8
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
I find it difficult to understand why items reach a certain figure, end and are then resisted a few days later. I got a bid cancelled by a seller who then apparently sold it for £10 more than I bid but then relisted again! What was wrong with my bid? Not enough? Auction is all about a bid winning. End of auction, not hang around until the price is high enough.
I had the same sort of thing, I bid and won a laser printer - but the seller ignored my emails and refunded the paypal payment.

When he finally answered he claimed that he was very ill and unable to package anything up or even leave the house.

2 days he relisted the item with a higher starting price ......
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 20:34   #9
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Never understood why ebay doesn't run auctions like real auctions. The auction shouldn't end until there's been no fresh bids for, say 2 mins after the set end-time. That would stop all the last 5 second sniping and gives the seller the chance to get the best possible price.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 20:46   #10
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
Never understood why ebay doesn't run auctions like real auctions. The auction shouldn't end until there's been no fresh bids for, say 2 mins after the set end-time. That would stop all the last 5 second sniping and gives the seller the chance to get the best possible price.
There's an American jewellery auction site that does that. It's called Bidz. Just remember any gold you buy will not be hallmarked, you have to do that yourself when it arrives. And they don't automatically accept all debit/credit cards either
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote