Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th October 2019, 13:41   #81
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I was speaking to a friend about this today and he was telling me he had 6 tickets from his visit to France earlier in the year. The first one he put down to ''bad luck'' but when the others started arriving over the following weeks he started spitting feathers.

He reckons we are being picked on because of the ''B'' word as he reckons at no point did he drive any faster than the traffic flow.

Not that I plan on trying it but it would be interesting to actually see what happens if a fine is not paid.
I live here. The above is correct. The French only pay half the fines the Brits do.---( also Brexit is hinted as being the reason. )

My wife in a British registered car was fined 85 Euros for doing 57 kph in a 50 kph limit. They automatically deduct 5 kph so her fine was for doing 2 kph over the limit.--

If you tripped over you would move faster than that on your way down.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2019, 13:49   #82
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Surely if no signs pointing out the speed limit, & paper work with the wrong date on they are not legal and would not have to be paid? it is worth finding out, ask one of our members from there to ask or find out what the law says from there.
The speed limits are well published over here and, as everywhere, ignorance of the law is no excuse.--

Just curious but don't most of you travellers have Sat-Navs that tell you where the cameras are ???

Mobile units you just have to spot if you can.
If you are caught using a Radar beam detector you are removed from your car and your car can be taken away and crushed.---

Colvert
Old 6th October 2019, 14:54   #83
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

You guys got off lightly. I got stung very legally for my trips this year :

Trip to Normandy in June. £50 in tolls.

Trip to Turin in June, driving through France. £163 in tolls. Plus a lovely £45 ish for the Frejus tunnel (one way ) between Italy and France.

Trip to Bologna and Florence in July, driving through France. £330 in tolls. Plus a lovely £50 ish for the Frejus tunnel (return - got a discount - whoopy do ) between Italy and France.

So all in (excluding the myriad other costs) the tolls alone cost me £638.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2019, 16:32   #84
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
You guys got off lightly. I got stung very legally for my trips this year :

Trip to Normandy in June. £50 in tolls.

Trip to Turin in June, driving through France. £163 in tolls. Plus a lovely £45 ish for the Frejus tunnel (one way ) between Italy and France.

Trip to Bologna and Florence in July, driving through France. £330 in tolls. Plus a lovely £50 ish for the Frejus tunnel (return - got a discount - whoopy do ) between Italy and France.

So all in (excluding the myriad other costs) the tolls alone cost me £638.
Are there no alternative routes to use without tolls though? I always thought that tolls were to be used to pay for and maintain roads.

I think we should have them here, with a discounted rate for residents of the uk.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2019, 16:42   #85
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Are there no alternative routes to use without tolls though? I always thought that tolls were to be used to pay for and maintain roads.

I think we should have them here, with a discounted rate for residents of the uk.

All that would happen is that UK residents would be forced to pay and they would not bother collecting any non - UK registered vehicle tolls.

Just like the current situation at the Dartford Crossing.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2019, 16:49   #86
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:

There are motorways without tolls.

I travel 95% of my 300 mile drive from Cherbourg to my house in the Loire Valley without paying any tolls. Some parts of the motorways having a speed of 130 Kph.

Last edited by COLVERT; 7th December 2019 at 18:12..
Old 6th October 2019, 17:00   #87
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
All that would happen is that UK residents would be forced to pay and they would not bother collecting any non - UK registered vehicle tolls.

Just like the current situation at the Dartford Crossing.
This is where manned and unmanned toll booths should be used as in ROI. Likewise, how do the EU countries obtain the addresses of UK registered vehicles. Quid Pro Quo systems (I know ROI and NI have a reciprocal agreement when it comes to speeding and parking fines. The beauty though is the points only apply to one licence ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post

I travel 95% of my 300 mile drive from Cherbourg to my house in the Loire Valley without paying any tolls. Some parts of the motorways having a speed of 135 Kph.
That is what I thought. Speed would not be my concern though, I would happily pay a toll for a decent and convenient road. It would make things a lot fairer as would a road fund in fuel duty - but that is a another argument already played out on here before. I dont think tolls in NI though would work, as the roads are simply not really long enough to justify them.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2019, 18:37   #88
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:

Sat nav set to avoid tolls, showed an extra 5 hours. On top of an 8 hour journey it would be way too much. Depends how much time you have for your journey.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2019, 20:55   #89
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
Sat nav set to avoid tolls, showed an extra 5 hours. On top of an 8 hour journey it would be way too much. Depends how much time you have for your journey.
Yes, that can happen.---Lots of folk though on such long trips book into a B &B for the night.--Stops you driving and getting overtired and makes the whole trip more rewarding.

Gives you time for a cup of tea or coffee break and a look at different surroundings and people.---
Old 6th October 2019, 22:00   #90
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post

I travel 95% of my 300 mile drive from Cherbourg to my house in the Loire Valley without paying any tolls. Some parts of the motorways having a speed of 135 Kph.
135 Klm’s an hour? I thought the max was 130km’s an hour.