Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th June 2019, 23:03   #1
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Carplan Products. Any good?

Eyup all.

One of my hobbies is detailing my 75CDTI facelift and my motorcycle. Recently I bought car plans Trafic Film Remover. Mix it 30/1. But I have nothing to compare it to. Anyone any input or thougts?

Also, I'm a big demon shines spray n shine (the pink one) . I read on another forum that 5L of the rinse and wax is the same product. Dilute and spray and wipe off. Yet to try if I'm honest.

The blue demon shine tyre stuff is NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-.

Am thinking about getting 5L of their glass cleaner.

I know they are cheap and there is much better out there but for more money. What do people make of car plan products generaly???
DaylightRovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 01:20   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightRovery View Post
Eyup all.

One of my hobbies is detailing my 75CDTI facelift and my motorcycle. Recently I bought car plans Trafic Film Remover. Mix it 30/1. But I have nothing to compare it to. Anyone any input or thougts?

Also, I'm a big demon shines spray n shine (the pink one) . I read on another forum that 5L of the rinse and wax is the same product. Dilute and spray and wipe off. Yet to try if I'm honest.

The blue demon shine tyre stuff is NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-.

Am thinking about getting 5L of their glass cleaner.

I know they are cheap and there is much better out there but for more money. What do people make of car plan products generaly???
30 years ago they were ok for the money, and market. But they really are not considered detailing products, even less so by brand snobs (of which I am slowly becoming)

Remember quantity is not always quality. I use their trim shine (£15 for 5 litres) to fill a spray bottle, to spray onto my tyres. It doesnt last very long, but then, I have yet to try anything that will last much longer. So I spend little on that.

My favourite value for money product, I have yet to better (for regular use) Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner. Can be diluted up to 10:1 for cleaning off brake dust. As I use it so frequently, I rarely need anything stronger.

My own method of washing and maintaining my car, is more for therapeutic reasons rather than maximum detailing effect. And since I would generally wash it fortnightly at least, I do not need large quantities of anything fancy or of great cost.

Maintenance products would be where I spend my cash.

A few years ago, I did what I call a detox of the paintwork, maybe not what a pro would do, but it worked to my standard.

Used a fall out remover (I liked Valet Pro's Dragon's Breath - and continue to use it annually)
Then clay barred it about three times (lubricating the clay bar with Valet Pro Citrus bling, which can be used to aid drying.
I then used Auto Finesse Tough Prep
Polished with a Poorboys polish (I cannot remember which one, but now use Farecla G3 with my polisher annually)
Followed that with Auto Finesse Tough Coat sealant. (a twin pack of this with the Tough Prep was available on eBay at the time for £25)
then a couple of coats of a Dodo Juice wax (a small sample pot was around £6 or 7, and enough to do the car 3 times)
Fortnightly I would use a snow foam, starting with Glimmerman snow foam, as it was on offer, and was very good, but have since moved to Bilt Hamber auto foam, which I think is better, but not as visually impressive.
Wash with Valet Pro concentrated car wash with a relatively cheap lambswool mitt (synthetic ones can be just as good, but these were about a fiver each on ebay I think)
I dry with a couple of decent microfibre drying towels using the Citrus Bling mentioned above as a drying aid, which also helps it maintain a shine, and beading, seems to last 3-6 months.

Before doing the wash, I wash the wheels with a microfibre wheel brush (Simoniz do a great one with no metal - Tescos have them quite cheap) along with a knock off version of a wheel woolie , and a valet pro sash brush that came as part of a bundle with the Bilberry wheel cleaner. Then spraying on the carplan trim cleaner onto the tyres (make sure to wipe off from the wheels - it will leave streaking).

For glass I used to like Poorboys glass cleaner, with a proper glass microfibre cloth, but have gone off it recently. It seems to require much more effort than before, and leaving small streaks. I am going to try some others. I still like Autoglym's glass polish, but it is messy, and hard on my skin.

Interior plastics I only clean rather than treat with valet Pro All Purpose Cleaner. I dont like shiny or slippery surfaces, and this does it how I like it, as well as being dilutable also.

As I mentioned above, annually, I break out the Dragons breath, clay and polisher.

Have a look at https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ for inspiration, also https://www.shopnshine.co.uk/ and https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/?gc...SAAEgIiZPD_BwE

and also, if not for the soothing tones of the guy lol, https://www.youtube.com/user/CarClea...arCleaningGuru

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 12:19   #3
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
30 years ago they were ok for the money, and market. But they really are not considered detailing products, even less so by brand snobs (of which I am slowly becoming)

Remember quantity is not always quality. I use their trim shine (£15 for 5 litres) to fill a spray bottle, to spray onto my tyres. It doesnt last very long, but then, I have yet to try anything that will last much longer. So I spend little on that.

My favourite value for money product, I have yet to better (for regular use) Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner. Can be diluted up to 10:1 for cleaning off brake dust. As I use it so frequently, I rarely need anything stronger.

My own method of washing and maintaining my car, is more for therapeutic reasons rather than maximum detailing effect. And since I would generally wash it fortnightly at least, I do not need large quantities of anything fancy or of great cost.

Maintenance products would be where I spend my cash.

A few years ago, I did what I call a detox of the paintwork, maybe not what a pro would do, but it worked to my standard.

Used a fall out remover (I liked Valet Pro's Dragon's Breath - and continue to use it annually)
Then clay barred it about three times (lubricating the clay bar with Valet Pro Citrus bling, which can be used to aid drying.
I then used Auto Finesse Tough Prep
Polished with a Poorboys polish (I cannot remember which one, but now use Farecla G3 with my polisher annually)
Followed that with Auto Finesse Tough Coat sealant. (a twin pack of this with the Tough Prep was available on eBay at the time for £25)
then a couple of coats of a Dodo Juice wax (a small sample pot was around £6 or 7, and enough to do the car 3 times)
Fortnightly I would use a snow foam, starting with Glimmerman snow foam, as it was on offer, and was very good, but have since moved to Bilt Hamber auto foam, which I think is better, but not as visually impressive.
Wash with Valet Pro concentrated car wash with a relatively cheap lambswool mitt (synthetic ones can be just as good, but these were about a fiver each on ebay I think)
I dry with a couple of decent microfibre drying towels using the Citrus Bling mentioned above as a drying aid, which also helps it maintain a shine, and beading, seems to last 3-6 months.

Before doing the wash, I wash the wheels with a microfibre wheel brush (Simoniz do a great one with no metal - Tescos have them quite cheap) along with a knock off version of a wheel woolie , and a valet pro sash brush that came as part of a bundle with the Bilberry wheel cleaner. Then spraying on the carplan trim cleaner onto the tyres (make sure to wipe off from the wheels - it will leave streaking).

For glass I used to like Poorboys glass cleaner, with a proper glass microfibre cloth, but have gone off it recently. It seems to require much more effort than before, and leaving small streaks. I am going to try some others. I still like Autoglym's glass polish, but it is messy, and hard on my skin.

Interior plastics I only clean rather than treat with valet Pro All Purpose Cleaner. I dont like shiny or slippery surfaces, and this does it how I like it, as well as being dilutable also.

As I mentioned above, annually, I break out the Dragons breath, clay and polisher.

Have a look at https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ for inspiration, also https://www.shopnshine.co.uk/ and https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/?gc...SAAEgIiZPD_BwE

and also, if not for the soothing tones of the guy lol, https://www.youtube.com/user/CarClea...arCleaningGuru
Wow thanks for the comprehensive reply mate realpy appreciate it. Shall definately look into the Wheel cleaner as this area is one I struggle with.

What's the difference between TFR and Fallout Remover??
DaylightRovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 13:08   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightRovery View Post
Wow thanks for the comprehensive reply mate realpy appreciate it. Shall definately look into the Wheel cleaner as this area is one I struggle with.

What's the difference between TFR and Fallout Remover??
Fallout remover helps to removes embedded particles of traffic dust from the paintwork. You could think of TFR as a lighter version of it for removing surface grime. With snow foam a lighter version of that again.

As I wash my car so regularly, snow foam is more than adequate, and also more forgiving on a warm day, if it dries, simply hose down or reapply, then wash. The other two may require gentle scrubbing if it is left to dry.

Both fallout remover and TFR require care and consideration when using them, and must be thoroughly rinsed off. If left to dry, can leave stubborn staining and possibly permanent damage.

The thing that really put me off TFR, was reading how some companies use TFR to wash lorries for quick and clean up. Something that does that (and does it quite well, at least at a distance) to my mind must be very strong, and therefore potentially harmful to, possibility of stripping the wax that I have on the car.

a good webpage explaining/showing them is HERE

a video comparing TFR and snow foam HERE

a video comparing fallout removers HERE

The Forensic Detailing Channel is quite involved but very good for background and information.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote