Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th October 2022, 13:01   #1
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Default Buying a used car

Having sold my last ZT earlier this year, and just recently sold the Mazda, I have been trying to by a ULEZ compliant replacement.
I know buying can be stressful, time consuming and frustrating, but ( maybe it's only me!) It seems to me it's got a lot worse recently.
I have always been sceptical of main dealers, as they don't always have the best quality cars , although they will tell you anything to get you to site.
The market is dire at the moment, and I know it's because new cars are hard to get quickly due to the chip shortage, however, cars listed as immaculate, are not. Even taking into account age etc.
Four weeks now, without a car and I am getting used to it.
Thinking about test driving cars like the Suzuki Vitara, Mazda CX5 and Lexus NX .. if I can get to them!
matchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2022, 15:20   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

A car purchase is an expensive exercise, not to be undertaken without first doing your homework well. Keep in mind at all times, that the dealer or the salesman is an experienced, well trained person whose sole purpose is to sell cars for huge profit, he or she are NOT your friend, and this is an important point. Raport is important but you need to keep alert and ask questions, to which you should ensure you get answers.

Look at a number of cars before you go into the dealership, and know well what you are looking for. If you see a potential candidate, the first question you need to ask is how long have you had this in this dealership, and does it have a FULL manufacturer service history.

Ask to see ALL documentation to support any and all claims, then tell the salesman to go away and let you read the documents so you can determine if it is worth proceeding further, do not under any circumstances allow him to take charge or control the situation, avoid all unnecessary chat and do not listen to banter, NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- and any additional information such as warranties, its all bull. If the salesman becomes hostile or difficult at anytime, just walk away.

Next ask and get specific answers to the questions, has the car been in ANY accident, and has it had any work carried out on it either as a result of an accident or as a warranty claim, any manufacturer recalls, details of these. If any of these, WALK away.

After that use your common sense, and be careful.

Last edited by grivas; 15th October 2022 at 15:23..
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2022, 15:22   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I bought my first 75 from a garage along the road from me. Ran it for a couple of years then it was off the road for a while as I had access to other cars. Went to put it back on the road so asked the same garage to give it a once over. When I bought it they gave it a glowing report, great cars, that changed, this time it was a terrible car, get rid of it! They suggested putting it back on the road and trading it in for one of the Italian/French shopping trolleys they had on the forecourt . . . . I've never been back.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2022, 16:54   #4
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
A car purchase is an expensive exercise, not to be undertaken without first doing your homework well. Keep in mind at all times, that the dealer or the salesman is an experienced, well trained person whose sole purpose is to sell cars for huge profit, he or she are NOT your friend, and this is an important point. Raport is important but you need to keep alert and ask questions, to which you should ensure you get answers.

Look at a number of cars before you go into the dealership, and know well what you are looking for. If you see a potential candidate, the first question you need to ask is how long have you had this in this dealership, and does it have a FULL manufacturer service history.

Ask to see ALL documentation to support any and all claims, then tell the salesman to go away and let you read the documents so you can determine if it is worth proceeding further, do not under any circumstances allow him to take charge or control the situation, avoid all unnecessary chat and do not listen to banter, NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- and any additional information such as warranties, its all bull. If the salesman becomes hostile or difficult at anytime, just walk away.

Next ask and get specific answers to the questions, has the car been in ANY accident, and has it had any work carried out on it either as a result of an accident or as a warranty claim, any manufacturer recalls, details of these. If any of these, WALK away.

After that use your common sense, and be careful.
Good advice, Thanks.
A few points that I may not have been asking as well.
I am quite clued up, so hopefully won't have the wool pulled over my eyes.
It's amazing how hard it is sometimes to get service history confirmed ( the harder to get, the poorer the history it seems).
It's also funny to hear ,whilst on a test drive, that someone has just called about the car, and also wants a test drive!.
Old 15th October 2022, 17:16   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchless View Post
It's also funny to hear ,whilst on a test drive, that someone has just called about the car, and also wants a test drive!.
Really, you'd better buy it quick . . . . must think your head zips up the back.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2022, 22:51   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Good advice, Thanks.
A few points that I may not have been asking as well.
I am quite clued up, so hopefully won't have the wool pulled over my eyes.
It's amazing how hard it is sometimes to get service history confirmed ( the harder to get, the poorer the history it seems).

I've bought 4 cars from dealers in the last 5 years and cannot relate to your experience. I will say up front that I tend to look at cars at the upper end of the price range for the model/years etc. and expect condition and service history commensurate with that.

My last purchase was three weeks ago - an Astra Estate TDI - from a local garage. Their prices are always at the top end of the Autotrader range but the cars come with a 12-month warranty. It had a fully stamped-up service book and all the other paperwork ready for inspecttion in the car. The garage advertises that they carry out a thorough inspection before releasing the car. We agreed that they would also carry out a change of oil and oil/air/fuel filters.

Having inspected the car, I had already recognised that the car would need two tyres and brake discs/pads all around. What came as a surprise when I collected the car was that the garage had fitted two new tyres and new pads all around during their inspection - something I wasn't expecting.

Quote:
If someone tried this, I would just turn the car around and say that the other party probably need it more than myself so should have it. Then see how the seller reacts.
Old 16th October 2022, 07:48   #7
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I'll take provenance every time.

A private seller who has a folder full of receipts etc.etc and can tell you everything about the car is definitely worth a look.

If you put the Reg No. into the Opie oils website it will give you VIN number and importantly engine code so you can do your research about that particular lump.

Good luck with your search.

PS. If you're looking at a diesel CX5 do your homework on the engine. Although cam chain there's some nasties lurking..... But you probably already know that as you've a CX7.

Conversely, SWMBO's petrol 2010 Mazda 2 is now on 121K and pretty much nothing has actually gone wrong. Wear and tear yes, but actually breaking, no.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 16th October 2022 at 10:54..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 16:36   #8
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I've bought 4 cars from dealers in the last 5 years and cannot relate to your experience. I will say up front that I tend to look at cars at the upper end of the price range for the model/years etc. and expect condition and service history commensurate with that.

My last purchase was three weeks ago - an Astra Estate TDI - from a local garage. Their prices are always at the top end of the Autotrader range but the cars come with a 12-month warranty. It had a fully stamped-up service book and all the other paperwork ready for inspecttion in the car. The garage advertises that they carry out a thorough inspection before releasing the car. We agreed that they would also carry out a change of oil and oil/air/fuel filters.

Having inspected the car, I had already recognised that the car would need two tyres and brake discs/pads all around. What came as a surprise when I collected the car was that the garage had fitted two new tyres and new pads all around during their inspection - something I wasn't expecting.

If someone tried this, I would just turn the car around and say that the other party probably need it more than myself so should have it. Then see how the seller reacts.
Everything to do with buying a car or indeed anything else is about YOU being in control of the entire process and NOT the salesperson, so if you remember this then you will not go too far wrong, the salesman always wants to stir you towards their way of proceeding, you should avoid this and remain focused on what you want to achieve, you can always walk away, and make as little chat as possible.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 19:51   #9
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

I feel your pain, last year the wife needed another car. She had decided she wanted a Mini Paceman and just to make it easier ( not) she wanted an Petrol Auto, there were only 3 for sale in the UK that I would even look at ( mileage spec ect) One was for sale at a fairly local Mini Dealership, we went to have a look and all was good apart from trying to get a salesman to talk too, eventually we managed to get the keys and after 45 mins we were told we would have to come back if we wanted a test drive. No reason was given so we left. We went to look at another the following day at a Car Supermarket, we had to make an appointement. They had it ready and we went out for a 30min test drive. We got back and then the games began. After a cup of tea and some sales blurb I was given a piece of paper with the price it would be and that was nearly £1200 above the price it was advertised at . I asked why and was explained that is the cost of the 3 year warranty, I explained I was only interested in the 3 months compulsery warranty that they have to provide by law and apparently '' no car is sold there with less than 12 month warranty''. They apparently would sell the car with just a 12 months warranty at additional £650 but that is the minimum. We stood up and explained we had only come to spend the advertised price and we were on our way out when the salesman said we might be able to do a deal. After another cup of tea and a biscuit and explaining we could pay cash and collect it the following day after another 30 mins I was given another piece of paper with the advertised price including the ''compulsary'' 12 month warranty and new MOT even though it had 4 months left.
I have found from previous experience these extra warranties are not worth the paper they are written on because of some technicality. 10 years ago I had an engine fail on a 4 year old car with a comprehensive warranty and because I had not had the oil changed by the dealer 3 months after purchase ( small print on page 12 ) I was not covered even though he had changed the oil when I bought it and it was due anothe roil change for several thousand more miles. Either that or you have to pay for the repairs and try and claim it back.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 22:48   #10
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Default Buying a used car

If you read all the reviews, there doesn't seem to be a manufacturer that makes a car that is safe, reliable, comfortable,quiet, economical, and good to drive.(?)
Even the Lexus NX , with all its reliability, and technology, has a really hard ,jittery ride ( something I will find out on Tuesday when I take one for a test drive), according to all the reviews, and only sips fuel when, er, you are not driving it?!