Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd February 2022, 11:56   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default ASUS Laptop

On the 1/2/22 i took these photos of the Asus.

When windows 11 was first announced and you could do the check to see if your laptop was compatible i did and all was then ok, later it said it was not, below are the photos of the spec etc.

Pic 1

CPU ?

So again followed why?

system requirements

about my Asus.

Therefore from above can someone please state why it's not compatible, as from what i read the CPU 1.60GHz should that be enough ? all and positive replies welcome thank you.

PS i will post up the HP later.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:31   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Steve - it is the processor.

The Celeron in your laptop is one of Intel's SoC chips intended for entry level laptops and of an earlier generation than the MS supported CPU list. It has roughly 1/3 the processing power of the minimum CPU recommended by MS for Win 11 for a good user experience. I would try Win 11 on it nearer 2025 but expect that usability will be lacking due to the processing power.
Old 7th February 2022, 14:28   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Steve - it is the processor.

The Celeron in your laptop is one of Intel's SoC chips intended for entry level laptops and of an earlier generation than the MS supported CPU list. It has roughly 1/3 the processing power of the minimum CPU recommended by MS for Win 11 for a good user experience. I would try Win 11 on it nearer 2025 but expect that usability will be lacking due to the processing power.
Hi Maninder.
Thank you for your reply, i have made my mind up, or had it made up for me as none of the three PC i have will accept windows 11 so will keep running windows 10 until 2025 then maybe look at getting a new desk top PC and or laptop.

What make i don't know anyone ever had or has a Medion desktop pc i7 16gb 1tb

ad altiora tendo.

Old 7th February 2022, 16:59   #14
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

In 2025 my laptop will be 14 years old so will be pensioned off anyway or repurposed with Linux. My desktop will be 15 years old so ditto, assuming it lasts that long (the PSU went BANG a couple of years ago but that was easily replaced).
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 23:57   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Maninder.
Thank you for your reply, i have made my mind up, or had it made up for me as none of the three PC i have will accept windows 11 so will keep running windows 10 until 2025 then maybe look at getting a new desk top PC and or laptop.

What make i don't know anyone ever had or has a Medion desktop pc i7 16gb 1tb
Steve - I think that is the right path to go down.

The lowest quad-core CPU that windows 11 will be officially supported on is an i3-8100 (or a pentium/celeron of the same 8th gen architecture for lower performance). These were launched back in 2017. In October 2025 when support for windows 10 ends, machines with these CPUs will be 6-8 years old. Personally, I don't feel it's a big deal, especially as the older PCs will be able to continue working on Windows 10 or 7 and safely off the internet.

By the time we get to October 2025, ex-busines PCs with an i3-8100 and 8GB RAM should be available for around £100-£150. I would always replace the used hard disk and SSD with a new one for peace of mind. This means that a user would be able to buy a PC capable of lasting atleast 5 years for around £200 i.e. less than £50/PA. I would go down this path for security and run the older machines for general use offline or on Linux for web browsing etc with the Linux firewall turned on.

To play with windows 11 on a machine not used for serious work, I've just ordered an ex-business i3-8100/8GB RAM/500GB HD Lenovo V530S for £170. I'll replace the HD with a 500GB nVME SSD for exceptional performance and end up with a quality PC for playing for less than £250. Lenovo and HP are my favourites as they are built to quality but don't have any special components to make life difficult like Dell.
Old 8th February 2022, 00:27   #16
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Steve - I think that is the right path to go down.

The lowest quad-core CPU that windows 11 will be officially supported on is an i3-8100 (or a pentium/celeron of the same 8th gen architecture for lower performance). These were launched back in 2017. In October 2025 when support for windows 10 ends, machines with these CPUs will be 6-8 years old. Personally, I don't feel it's a big deal, especially as the older PCs will be able to continue working on Windows 10 or 7 and safely off the internet.

By the time we get to October 2025, ex-busines PCs with an i3-8100 and 8GB RAM should be available for around £100-£150. I would always replace the used hard disk and SSD with a new one for peace of mind. This means that a user would be able to buy a PC capable of lasting atleast 5 years for around £200 i.e. less than £50/PA. I would go down this path for security and run the older machines for general use offline or on Linux for web browsing etc with the Linux firewall turned on.

To play with windows 11 on a machine not used for serious work, I've just ordered an ex-business i3-8100/8GB RAM/500GB HD Lenovo V530S for £170. I'll replace the HD with a 500GB nVME SSD for exceptional performance and end up with a quality PC for playing for less than £250. L
Quote:
enovo and HP are my favourites as they are built to quality but don't have any special components to make life difficult like Dell.
My Wife bought a new Dell when she found out that the HP she had would not accept windows 11, which we were both surprised about.

I now have that

ad altiora tendo.

Old 11th February 2022, 20:15   #17
tonybel
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 SE

the best advice i have heard about this is stick to the operating system the computer was designed with. All our works PC and home laptops are windows 10 and will stay that way. when it comes time for each to be replaced, they will be replaced with windows 11 preloaded machines.

Mac's are wonderful if you are a guru or young and have been brought up with them. half my job is with designers and printers and the other half with admins and accountants, the arty lot use macs the office folk PCs. Personally I cannot handle the macs, they are just too strange after years with windows.
Old 20th February 2022, 00:31   #18
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

My laptop came with Windows 7. It's on Windows 10 now and with a new install on an SSD runs quite well. If it's still going when Windows 10 reaches end-of-life I'll stick Linux on it.
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2022, 16:44   #19
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I am aware.

At the end of the day, each person has to decide their approach. Some of us are early adopters, if only to play, whilst others desire stability before committing. Both approaches and everything in between is perfectly valid.

MS will always try to restrict choice, e.g. browser choice, insofar that they can whilst staying only just legal. Personally, I find such approaches by large companies distasteful and Firefox is my browser of choice for this very reason. If non-MS browsers are practically locked out of Win 11, I will still have a Win 11 machine except that all but one of my machines at home will be on Linux. Currently, the machine that I spend most of my time on runs Lubuntu LTS.

Same here I got rid of Windows 10 & previous Windows OS's for Linux/Ubuntu/Solus on all my PC's years ago, I have a Windows 10 Pro on my Gaming PC for my Train Sim World & the only desktop I have trouble with is that one It also says it's not Windows 11 compatible so I'm not sure how or if it will effect my train simulator game in the near future?

I have Windows 10 Pro on another high spec desktop for recording music/videos that wouldn't recognise expensive software I bought for music & video recording so I use that off line only nowadays Linux just works.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 11:25   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybel View Post
the best advice i have heard about this is stick to the operating system the computer was designed with. ...........

That would be boring. Real Men don't do that!

I've now used Windows 11 on a fully compliant PC (i3-8100 CPU, 8GB RAM, Firmware TPM....) extensively for about a week and found it to be perfectly stable. There is really nothing there that I dislike. There will be some early issues which affect advanced users no doubt, but I would not have any concern about going over to 11 by the time win 10 goes out of support.