Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st March 2022, 09:42   #21
Jan135

Rover 75 Tourer

Is Windows 11 actually worth it? I mean that only every other Windows version is good.
Jan135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2022, 20:58   #22
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

At the moment I don't think Windows 11 brings much to the party over Windows 10. If you're running older hardware then stick with 10 as it has plenty of life left in it and I rather suspect that Microsoft will become more flexible with the hardware requirements in time as they will want to get most people transitioned but at the moment they are taking a cautious approach to avoid having a lot of people all crying for support at the same time.

My old laptop was about 7 years old and ran an early i5 processor with 4Gb and after a little tinkering I was able to get it running Windows 11 with no problems.

Mind you for older hardware I'd recommend Chrome OS Flex. Limited to just browser stuff however much faster and more responsive then running full Windows. I've given several machines a new lease of life with ChromeOS
Old 8th April 2023, 21:06   #23
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Having now played with Windows 11 for some months, I have transitioned to 11 on my main machine which is always custom built by myself. I've had no issues with Win 11.

I am selling one of my PC's which I have used for playing with Win 11 if anyone wants a fully compliant machine with excellent spec for a home PC.

See https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275783312576

£145 delivered for forum members plus any help and advice needed by the purchaser.
Old 9th April 2023, 04:58   #24
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Not strictly what this thread is about, but carrying on from your comment in the thread in the other forum... I've had apple computers for around 18 years now, and wouldn't have anything else for my use. Ok, if you like gaming then there simply isn't the range of games for Mac. But my use is storage of music, family photos, general internet browsing, as well as storing reference photos for various hobbies, plus STL's and slicers for 3D printing.

According to the info screen on my current laptop it's an early 2015 model, but I could've sworn I got it before my middle son was born and that was early 2015. Anyway, it's still running fine, not had any issues at all, I've not wanted to update to the latest versions of OS, so haven't, it reminds me, but I've always got the option not to.

Only problem I have had is when I dropped it, and broke the screen/bent the lid. Luckily covered on house insurance, initially they were going to replace it but then arranged for a repair, it came back with a nice new screen and lid.

Now in fairness, you could buy several windows laptops for what I paid for my Mac, I think it was in the region of £1800, by the time I'd upgraded bits, but I'd rather buy something more than I need in the hope it'll last that bit longer. Which so far, it has.

I've also got a 2011 iMac in the garage that a friend gave me. That is also used for 3D printing, file storage and playing music in the garage, 11 years old and still working fine.
Like yourself I dropped the MacBook Pro and cracked the screen whilst on my travels. A MacBook repair shop in Nairobi replaced the screen and lid from a donor MacBook Pro for £180, so the parts are not cheap. In total I have 3 MacBook Pros 2009 - 2013 models which can’t be updated to beyond “High Sierra”. It’s an annoyance as some of the new apps I would like to use, I can’t because the apps designate my MBP’s as being too old and at a certain date there is no support from Apple for the older models, the so and so’s.

Last summer, a nephew kindly donated his 13” MacBook Pro to me because the mouse wasn’t working. To get it working I plugged in a USB mouse and keep it as a spare, but it’s a 2010 model and similarly it can’t be upgraded to the latest Mac OS.

Of course Apple would love me to buy a new MBP, but the cost of a new one is a downer. I will have to settle for a refurbished or reconditioned replacement, but for now it can wait.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 9th April 2023 at 05:01..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2023, 10:44   #25
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
and how hard they've made using any browser besides Edge.
I've no doubt that is to get around the court ruling to allow other browsers. Not ignored it but make it so hard to change to another browser then most users who have limited knowledge on installs/settings will go with the default.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2023, 10:48   #26
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
but at the moment they are taking a cautious approach to avoid having a lot of people all crying for support at the same time.

My old laptop was about 7 years old and ran an early i5 processor with 4Gb and after a little tinkering I was able to get it running Windows 11 with no problems.
Can you get direct support from Microsoft? I'm on Win 11 on my laptop (pre-loaded) but not used their OS since XP. I was led to believe it was only via the distributer?

Kev
Old 12th April 2023, 11:07   #27
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
My Wife bought a new Dell when she found out that the HP she had would not accept windows 11, which we were both surprised about.
My laptop is a Dell Vostro 3525 with Win 11. On the build I asked for 2 x USB2.0 ports for legacy equipment. The USB2.0 ports only work for memory sticks and I can't get a legacy FDD or CD-Rom drive to work.

Raised a ticket with Dell on the issue, they collected but only reinstalled and updated Win 11 and the BIOS. Service Centre report made no mention of USB port checks with legacy items. Go figure.

Laptop returned with same issue. After much searching, and an e-mail contact with a MS Windows developer I found out that Win 11 has been stripped of legacy support whether intentionally or not.

The missing file is SFLOPPY.DRV but I'm unsure if another driver is needed for the CD drive. More investigative work to do but if anyone with Win 11 can use legacy, please let me know.

Kev