Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2022, 06:46   #1
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts
Default Last of the Summer

The sun setting on Lady Emma yesterday.

Lady Emma by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

My next visit to the boat we will be in to Autumn proper. My favourite time of year to be boating
Old 18th September 2022, 12:28   #2
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Thank you again for your fab fotoes Jeff. Many may ask how did you get th exsposure so good of th boat when th trillian zillion mega watt sun could av so easily sent th processor into a calculus melt down ....

My old neighbour used to build boats. Iv had many a chat about his exsploits. One day he said a friend had bought a boat... But th only problem they had was it was in India. They sailed it back from there using dead-reckoning...!!!!.

How's your sacrifiical nail doing???

Last edited by Phil th Barrow; 18th September 2022 at 12:31..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2022, 05:23   #3
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Thank you again for your fab fotoes Jeff. Many may ask how did you get th exsposure so good of th boat when th trillian zillion mega watt sun could av so easily sent th processor into a calculus melt down ....

My old neighbour used to build boats. Iv had many a chat about his exsploits. One day he said a friend had bought a boat... But th only problem they had was it was in India. They sailed it back from there using dead-reckoning...!!!!.

How's your sacrifiical nail doing???

Morning Phil,

That was taken with my iPhone. They are pretty good at dealing with that sort of light as they take a multiple exposure of the scene and blend them together. This is all done in the background without any intervention needed.

Then the image was further edited in Lightroom and Photoshop by myself adjusting the sky, water and subject individually to get a result close to what your eyes would see.Not quite straight out of camera

The same result could be achieved using my Dslr but to be honest I would rather not take the of risk plopping that into the water

Not sure I would be brave enough to sail a boat back from India without all the modern tools of a Chart Plotter, back up paper charts etc. In fact, I wouldn't be brave enough full stop!

Lady Emma is overdue being lifted (Covid stopped play) as she needs her anti foul doing and her anodes (nail) replacing. Will probably/hopefully be getting her out of the water early in the Spring to get this done.
Old 19th September 2022, 11:40   #4
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Morning Phil,

That was taken with my iPhone. They are pretty good at dealing with that sort of light as they take a multiple exposure of the scene and blend them together. This is all done in the background without any intervention needed.

Then the image was further edited in Lightroom and Photoshop by myself adjusting the sky, water and subject individually to get a result close to what your eyes would see.Not quite straight out of camera

The same result could be achieved using my Dslr but to be honest I would rather not take the of risk plopping that into the water

Not sure I would be brave enough to sail a boat back from India without all the modern tools of a Chart Plotter, back up paper charts etc. In fact, I wouldn't be brave enough full stop!

Lady Emma is overdue being lifted (Covid stopped play) as she needs her anti foul doing and her anodes (nail) replacing. Will probably/hopefully be getting her out of the water early in the Spring to get this done.
Thats a real good fone you have there. With my DSLR i would have half cocked it (locked exsposure) on th boat, then re positioned to set th scene and then fully pressed to take th shot. Out come ..... No blue sky or clouds and th water like mud. Then a long and protracted visit to foto shop for some cloud/water "recovery" work.

"Boat out" sounds inexspensive. Im sure your "nail" in th motor is fine?? Or is your's motor a sealed unit cooled. No coolent from "Adrian".?? (not correct terms but i hope you get my drift)
Old 19th September 2022, 12:13   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Thats a real good fone you have there. With my DSLR i would have half cocked it (locked exsposure) on th boat, then re positioned to set th scene and then fully pressed to take th shot. Out come ..... No blue sky or clouds and th water like mud. Then a long and protracted visit to foto shop for some cloud/water "recovery" work.

"Boat out" sounds inexspensive. Im sure your "nail" in th motor is fine?? Or is your's motor a sealed unit cooled. No coolent from "Adrian".?? (not correct terms but i hope you get my drift)
If it were me taking the photo with the 'proper' camera I would attack it one of two ways.
If there were no wind/tide and the boat was still in the water. I would bracket three or more exposures 1 or 2 stops above and below the subject exposure then merge them in editing software. Pretty much what the iPhone does automatically.

You could try using a graduated ND filter to darken the sky but would be awkward as someone stuck a bleedin' big boat between the sky and the foreground

Boat lifting (Over 6.5 tonnes dry weight) is not the cheapest thing to do but it is required every few years to do maintenance to below the waterline stuff. Anodes, Antofoul, shaft stuffing glands, skin fittings etc.
Lady Emma is two years behind schedule because of the lockdowns we had.
It isn't cheap, not much is when it comes to boats

Slightly confused in your 'nail in the motor' analogy

She is cooled via a sealed water system much like a car. Rather than air blowing over a radiation though, she has a raw water system that sucks water in through weed strainers andimpellers which is then fed round the outside of the sealed water system then spat out through a wet exhaust system. It also doubles up as a heat exchanger via a calorfier which heats the water used for the Hot running water system.

Anyhows.........we have two motors to worry about on Lady Emma
Old 19th September 2022, 13:13   #6
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

Quote:
If it were me taking the photo with the 'proper' camera I would attack it one of two ways.
If there were no wind/tide and the boat was still in the water. I would bracket three or more exposures 1 or 2 stops above and below the subject exposure then merge them in editing software. Pretty much what the iPhone does automatically.

You could try using a graduated ND filter to darken the sky but would be awkward as someone stuck a bleedin' big boat between the sky and the foreground

Boat lifting (Over 6.5 tonnes dry weight) is not the cheapest thing to do but it is required every few years to do maintenance to below the waterline stuff. Anodes, Antofoul, shaft stuffing glands, skin fittings etc.
Lady Emma is two years behind schedule because of the lockdowns we had.
It isn't cheap, not much is when it comes to boats

Slightly confused in your 'nail in the motor' analogy

She is cooled via a sealed water system much like a car. Rather than air blowing over a radiation though, she has a raw water system that sucks water in through weed strainers andimpellers which is then fed round the outside of the sealed water system then spat out through a wet exhaust system. It also doubles up as a heat exchanger via a calorfier which heats the water used for the Hot running water system.

Anyhows.........we have two motors to worry about on Lady Emma
Hi Jeff.

Yes my camera will auto bracket if its turned on. Never used that function but have bracketed in th past.

Funny enough iv got graduated filters too, but only use polarising filter. Did a bit of filter work at colledge (around 1995) but not bothered since. My fotoshop is ancient. I was offered CS2 many years ago but never took up th offer. I bet things have changed imeassurably. Which one do you use.? Are they more intuative now?

Th sacraficial nail (my old neighbour called it that) i was mentioning is a anode thats screwed into a engine. This does th same thing as th hull anodes but yours dosnt need it as it doesn't get its water from outside to cool th engine. Iv seen a block blown threw when th "nail" as not been changed.

What are your motors. Dont say Volvo
Old 19th September 2022, 13:26   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Hi Jeff.

Yes my camera will auto bracket if its turned on. Never used that function but have bracketed in th past.

Funny enough iv got graduated filters too, but only use polarising filter. Did a bit of filter work at colledge (around 1995) but not bothered since. My fotoshop is ancient. I was offered CS2 many years ago but never took up th offer. I bet things have changed imeassurably. Which one do you use.? Are they more intuative now?

Th sacraficial nail (my old neighbour called it that) i was mentioning is a anode thats screwed into a engine. This does th same thing as th hull anodes but yours dosnt need it as it doesn't get its water from outside to cool th engine. Iv seen a block blown threw when th "nail" as not been changed.

What are your motors. Dont say Volvo
Err.......VOLVO

TAMD31P's to be precise

I use Lightroom and Photoshop as well as various 'Plug ins' Other editing software is readily available if you wanted to brakes exposures and merge them.
It's just another 'too' in your box to enable getting images that otherwise you couldn't.

You can also use photo merging to stitch together a panorama. Useful if you don't have a wide angle lens on you at the time.
In commercial car photography a polarising filter is a must to cut down on reflections in paintwork and glass.

I have various grads and ND filters which do come in handy for landscape photography. Other than that I do keep U.V filters on all my glass, purely to protect the front element from damage.
Old 19th September 2022, 13:32   #8
coolcat
This is my second home

Sorry, forgot to mention versions of Adobe software.

I subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud so I always have the latest version of both Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. They are automatically updated whenever new versions come out.
I'm not even sure if you can buy them as outright products on their own anymore.

My subscription is put through my business accounts and really is a necessity.

If you were just a casual user then Photoshop Elements or similar 'other' brand editing software would probably offer most of what you would need
Old 19th September 2022, 13:55   #9
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Err.......VOLVO

TAMD31P's to be precise

I use Lightroom and Photoshop as well as various 'Plug ins' Other editing software is readily available if you wanted to brakes exposures and merge them.
It's just another 'too' in your box to enable getting images that otherwise you couldn't.

You can also use photo merging to stitch together a panorama. Useful if you don't have a wide angle lens on you at the time.
In commercial car photography a polarising filter is a must to cut down on reflections in paintwork and glass.

I have various grads and ND filters which do come in handy for landscape photography. Other than that I do keep U.V filters on all my glass, purely to protect the front element from damage.
I wished you lived closer as we av a great interest in this stuff. You could spend hrs helping me to get better results. My knowledge on this is ancient. A up grade to white glass and a new body would bring things into better focus too. Cannon of course.

Re your coment "In commercial car photography a polarising filter is a must to cut down on reflections in paintwork and glass". I have greasy forhead probs. I bounce th flash which helps. Is there a shop tool or do you just blend local skin tone.?

Yes UV not polariser i use for th same reasons. I did stiching once and failed. It stiched ok ish but th exsposures were incorrect.

Volvo marine engines....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpVZR9_z7b8