Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th May 2020, 21:29   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
TATA has leverage over the Government as it employs thousands of British workers. Give us some money or we’ll pull out of the UK. It’s irrelevant where the company comes from, India or wherever. Do you spend money on a bail out or unemployment benefit?

It has indeed been broadcast that the Government will take a stake in companies it helps. It’s another form of leverage. This time they are saying there is no free money anymore and there is a slim chance we, the tax payers will one day get the money back.

State ownership could be making a comeback!
Just what we need at the moment, state ownership of a car company, I don't recall that working in the past can you?

Putting aside the emotion, if nobody wishes to buy a product, then the manufacturer of said product, can either change the product they produce to a one that is saleable, or go belly up.

In other words, why saddle the taxpayer with the burden of supporting a company who has concentrated it's resources manufacturing products that have a diminishing market.

Brian

State ownership of private companies rarely work out
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 21:50   #12
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Just what we need at the moment, state ownership of a car company, I don't recall that working in the past can you?

Putting aside the emotion, if nobody wishes to buy a product, then the manufacturer of said product, can either change the product they produce to a one that is saleable, or go belly up.

In other words, why saddle the taxpayer with the burden of supporting a company who has concentrated it's resources manufacturing products that have a diminishing market.

Brian

State ownership of private companies rarely work out
I totally agree that state ownership has got a poor record and personally I would not like to see it happen.
The free market approach will see how viable a business is or can be and right now your comments about JLR are pretty much bang on. It has fallen behind other manufacturers and its probably not good for any Government or private investor to pour money into it. Looks like another RBS investment.
Problem right now is the Government thinks it’s a good idea.
Old 26th May 2020, 21:37   #13
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Well, we have got numerous companies applying for loans for up to billions of ££££s. All their owners are multi millionaires or billionaires. What’s the matter with society these days is that no one is really living in the real world. Ordinary people are allowed to run up thousand £££s on credit cards. £30,000 seems to be the norm these days for credit card debt. Everyone wants it now, and can not wait and save up like we used to do. Greed comes to mind. Which brings me to Jag and other companies who want helping out because of this damned virus produced in China. Before anything is lent to these companies, all their own private asset’s should be used to get as much as they can for it, before they are lent a penny.
Old 27th May 2020, 16:24   #14
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I can see 'Green strings' being attached to any loan/bailout monies made available to JLR! . I've just been reading about the French government making €8billion available in the form of green incentives due to the slump in car sales.

"French President Emmanuel Macron has announced a massive increase in support for the French car industry" Upping the grant for a BEV from €6000 to €7000 & low income earners will get an extra €5000 if they exchange a combustion car for a new BEV. €12000 is a huge incentive.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2020, 19:24   #15
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

If JLR go bump it will cost the country billions. Buy a stake in the companies not bail the greedy owners out. Ive said it for years why do the French and Spanish buy the cars made there but our police etc drive BMWs etc.
Nissan Toyota Mini Jaguar etc are employing UK workers lets keep them in jobs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISHfDzkl-Lc

Last edited by coab; 27th May 2020 at 19:40.. Reason: no got marinabrians glasses on.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2020, 22:02   #16
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

see nissan just posted $6bn loss , first loss since 2009, closing a couple of plants,one in indonesia and one in europe but going to make its europe
centre of operations in the uk.
They reckon car sales have drop 60 percent over last year

Last edited by genpk; 28th May 2020 at 22:05..
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 10:25   #17
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

I see Renault are experiencing a spot of bother too and have just secured a massive loan from the French govt:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-re...-idUKKBN23A0RU
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 19:37   #18
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Mr Tata may employ a number of Britons, so did BL more I would guess. Mr Tata is on record as being as not being a man who likes Britain or the British, its the Empire don't y'know so he has a chip. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 19:39   #19
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Mr Tata may employ a number of Britons, so did BL more I would guess. Mr Tata is on record as being as not being a man who likes Britain or the British, its the Empire don't y'know so he has a chip. Chris.S.
All the more reason not to bail out his company with taxpayer monies then
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote