Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th August 2020, 10:08   #11
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Caravans are cheaper, no tax no MOT,cheap insurance often more spacious and easier to store.
Old 4th August 2020, 10:40   #12
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

My sister and her husband had a quite lovely motorhome they bought new.

As said in earlier posts, it was seldom used, and residing in Germany, a set of winter tyres were required, not to mention the German regulations regarding such vehicles. I can't list what they were, only that they were over and above UK requirements.

As with any second hand vehicle, they took quite a hit on the resale value.

Lovely to tour about in though.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 01:05   #13
Ros3
This is my second home

Rover 75 V6 saloon (gone to the Rover garage in the sky), Mazda mx5 Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Caravans are cheaper, no tax no MOT,cheap insurance often more spacious and easier to store.
I just don't fancy a caravan.. I feel I would get more use from a campervan. I see what you mean about the savings and that's good, but I just don't think its for me..
Ros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 01:06   #14
Ros3
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
My sister and her husband had a quite lovely motorhome they bought new.

As said in earlier posts, it was seldom used, and residing in Germany, a set of winter tyres were required, not to mention the German regulations regarding such vehicles. I can't list what they were, only that they were over and above UK requirements.

As with any second hand vehicle, they took quite a hit on the resale value.

Lovely to tour about in though.
Second hand will be the market I will be going for, as I think that will better suit my budget..
Old 6th August 2020, 01:10   #15
Ros3
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
The problem with it not being used much is unless stored undercover the brakes will suffer, rust will get to the discs and callipers can seize up and you don't want something this big with dodgy brakes. Also tyres un used will end up with a flat spot because of the weight on them if you don't over inflate them or take the weight off them.

Yes good idea with the bike but can you get your groceries on a bike? As much as we enjoyed the 2 weeks the shopping was a real pain. In the end we found a Supermarket that I could stop in a bus stop to drop my wife off, I went out of town until she rung me to come and collect her.

The other problem I had forgotten about was driving on the motorway in the wind, a head wind meant we were restricted with speed and a side wind meant it was difficult to keep it in a straight line especially when passing or being passed by other tall vehicles.
Yep, some valid points there again and much appreciated input. I would off course take all the proper care of the vehicle, and I have experience of driving box vans in poor conditions, so have that to help.. Now you mention it though I have found myself seeing a lot of camper vans parked up in supermarket car parks of late, likely stocking up before heading on I would think..
Old 10th August 2020, 06:55   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I grew up with using both a caravan and a camper van. Each have pros and cons.

As other have said the packing up to go out is a big draw back of a motorhome/camper van over a caravan but it does depend on how you will use it.

Consider the sites you will stay on so you can decide on the facilities you need in your motorhome. How long will you stay in one place as the fridge size may be important

A day out a the "beach", camper van wins.
Staying on a site and walking/cycling/bus to and from the site, camper van wins.
Going further afield from the site, caravan wins
Cost, caravan wins

speak to other owners at the supermarkets see what they have to say

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2020, 08:56   #17
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

As has been said, you see many motor homes towing small cars on A-frames. What’s the point? They are towing (so may as well have a caravan). They have a small car to use while away (why not use your comfortable tow-car?). Compromised living accommodation, unless huge (caravan is purpose built), VED for a possibly under-used vehicle (zero for caravan) and again as has been said, overall cost.

Oh, and I’m a disinterested party, I neither have nor particularly want either!

Last edited by baxlin; 10th August 2020 at 08:59..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2020, 10:24   #18
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros3 View Post
I just don't fancy a caravan.. I feel I would get more use from a campervan. I see what you mean about the savings and that's good, but I just don't think its for me..
Fair do’s each to their own, I have a friend who started off with caravans, moved on to much larger twin axles ones and then to motorhome.Starting with small 4 berth then progressing to a couple of huge 6 berth ,although there was only 3 of them they used to race karts,so needed something with plenty of space, they at one point had a 7.5 ton wagon the size of a horse box. Now have a large 4 berth luxury one ,but they have a small car they tow behind it with an A frame, for running about in. This is what would put me off having one,with the caravan we just leave the mess everywhere and jump in the car. As others have said,hire one for a week and see how you like it before buying one.
Old 10th August 2020, 21:08   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I have a caravan, I have always had one and I'm away in it right now. I like the fact that I can park it up on site and go off for the day in the car, which I can park in centres as normal. I could not do that with an equivalent sized motorhome, plus the constant packing everything up everytime I wanted to go anywhere. There is one on the site at the moment, with two adults, two teens, packing up, going out, unpacking when the get back.

I would consider a motorhome, but for constant touring - staying somewhere different each night and wild camping. They are perfect for that, much handier than a tug + caravan.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2020, 21:01   #20
steady eddie
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer / bmw e90 320d

As has been stated already there are pros and cons to owning both, we used to have a six berth caravan which suited us when the kids were younger but now its just the two of us we just book a site for a couple of nights and off we go as for packing things up it depends on what you need, most things are kept in their respective cupboards and drawers you can be ready to roll in ten minutes. If you do a bit of research on where to park its not to bad if you need to go shopping, our motorhome is 7.5 metres long I have parked in supermarket car parks you just need to make sure you park where you cant get trapped in. if you look on local council websites you can find out if they have motorhome friendly parking. If you look around you can find some highly specked motor homes for reasonable money. BUT you need to check for damp with a meter as this is a costly repair.
steady eddie is offline   Reply With Quote