Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st October 2020, 16:36   #1
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Default sill needing welded

can anyone tell me if there is anybody in Scotland does any welding to our cars i know of Tom Hobbs i have purchased a replacement sill piece from him but he is nearly 300mls from me i was wondering if there was anybody closer there may be more than just the sill needing welded hence i don't want to go to just any welder i would rather someone who works on our cars and would fix anything he came across while doing the sill i don't mind traveling but 300mls is a lot when you have to leave the car travel back home then travel back again to collect the car if need be i will but if there is anyone closer could you let me know please thanks in advance
geo.k23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2020, 17:03   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Send cossiedunc a pm, if he doesn’t do it, he will know someone who does.
Old 21st October 2020, 17:18   #3
Annfield-East
Loves to post

None

Not exactly in Scotland, this is in NE England, 168 miles from you to be precise. Its a one man band specilaising in Rovers/MG cars, both repairs and breaking for spares. Its near to Blaydon, Tyne and Wear., and is easily accessed from the A69. He replaced a wing for me last week and its booked in for sill welding work, one sill, next Monday in preparation for its upcoming MOT.

The one drawback is he wants my car for 24 hours, as there will be some sill paintwork, but he may be able to do yours the same day. No problem for me as I am only ten miles away. If you do need to make it an overnight job there is a Travelodge quite close by.

Until I get my car back I am unable to vouch for his welding work, but he does know Rovers inside out as that's pretty much all he works on.

Details here.

https://gateshead.cylex-uk.co.uk/com...-14584195.html

Call him on his mobile, click on additional phone numbers on the above page.
Annfield-East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2020, 17:45   #4
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Send cossiedunc a pm, if he doesn’t do it, he will know someone who does.
thanks trikey i have used duncan he undersealed the car for me i mentioned the welding he doesn't do it himself but has a friend who does it i am just looking for someone who does this kind of work on rovers on a regular basis i will give Duncan a call the car is due an mot on the 1st next month will get a feedback on the work needing done i new when i bought the car 5 months back it needed the offside sill at the back jacking point sorted thanks again
Old 21st October 2020, 17:48   #5
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annfield-East View Post
Not exactly in Scotland, this is in NE England, 168 miles from you to be precise. Its a one man band specilaising in Rovers/MG cars, both repairs and breaking for spares. Its near to Blaydon, Tyne and Wear., and is easily accessed from the A69. He replaced a wing for me last week and its booked in for sill welding work, one sill, next Monday in preparation for its upcoming MOT.

The one drawback is he wants my car for 24 hours, as there will be some sill paintwork, but he may be able to do yours the same day. No problem for me as I am only ten miles away. If you do need to make it an overnight job there is a Travelodge quite close by.

Until I get my car back I am unable to vouch for his welding work, but he does know Rovers inside out as that's pretty much all he works on.

Details here.

https://gateshead.cylex-uk.co.uk/com...-14584195.html

Call him on his mobile, click on additional phone numbers on the above page.
thanks for replying that's not too far to travel worth a call thank you
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:26   #6
johnnyjazz1954
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Hi all, got a sill repair of Tom Hobbs also, but as they say there,s welders and there are welders, Has anybody heard of G A Welders in Wigan, seems he does restoration work was thinking of giving him a ring and see what he says ,
Any info on good welders close by would be a great help...Cheers.
John
johnnyjazz1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2020, 19:19   #7
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz1954 View Post
Hi all, got a sill repair of Tom Hobbs also, but as they say there,s welders and there are welders, Has anybody heard of G A Welders in Wigan, seems he does restoration work was thinking of giving him a ring and see what he says ,
Any info on good welders close by would be a great help...Cheers.
John
He's my friend, his name is Guy and he loves his classic cars, it's very likely he'll give me a call if he gets a 75 or ZT in to work on so i can go to have a look at it.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2020, 22:03   #8
johnnyjazz1954
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
He's my friend, his name is Guy and he loves his classic cars, it's very likely he'll give me a call if he gets a 75 or ZT in to work on so i can go to have a look at it.
Jesus small world isn,t it, not had chance today but will ring him tomorrow or Monday morning, I will let you know how I get on...
Many thanks
John
johnnyjazz1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2020, 20:21   #9
Rover 75 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourers(4)400turs(3

Default Sills

Depending how much tin worm has got at the sill, I found on my N/side sill only the sill section was affected the jacking point was solid. I got thoms replacement sill, cut to suit, joggled the edge and useing a suitable bonding adjent, bonded it on. Bear in mind that many modern car panels are bonded on not welded, MOT man was happy with the repair,happy days. Bonding adjent was £50 for a tube but cheaper than welding.
Rover 75 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2020, 20:35   #10
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover 75 Tourer View Post
Depending how much tin worm has got at the sill, I found on my N/side sill only the sill section was affected the jacking point was solid. I got thoms replacement sill, cut to suit, joggled the edge and useing a suitable bonding adjent, bonded it on. Bear in mind that many modern car panels are bonded on not welded, MOT man was happy with the repair,happy days. Bonding adjent was £50 for a tube but cheaper than welding.
i bought two of toms sills although it's only the o/s rear that has tin worm i don't know yet how far it has gone hopefully it's not to bad and hasn't gotten to the jacking point but not the kind of job i cab do so need to take it to a welder albeit your suggestion would be ideal