Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th October 2020, 13:03   #21
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

The BBC has always been Liberal/Left leaning but originally it tried to achieve a balance which is not always easy. But it tried but as it grew it became more Lefty because most its staff were of that leaning- thats ok but the editorial and Management staff gradually stopped trying to achieve any balance. Why did that happen? because they knew and you and I didnt were the great unwashed- their prejudices are "informed and educated opinion". Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2020, 13:12   #22
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Some say the indoctrination begins when the uninformed (or undeveloped) mind reaches certain Universities. Students' unions are invariably staffed by rebellious agitators, apologies to those aren't or weren't, who hold considerable sway in a range of activities. It's called education. Capital 'e'.
Old 8th October 2020, 16:43   #23
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

I had evidence of this from the comprehensive school my daughter attended and the rubbish her Communist teacher( yes party member) was spouting. Needless to say I took him to task. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2020, 18:07   #24
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Most of us haven't got any problems with listening to opposing totalitarian views, we can each recognise what's happening and use our own maturity to counter if we so wish.

However, the supposed 'education' of young, impressionable and fresh minds, to the singular radical in isolation should be illegal. That's not education, it's radicalisation just as much as in other prejudiced fields.
Old 8th October 2020, 21:22   #25
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
I had evidence of this from the comprehensive school my daughter attended and the rubbish her Communist teacher( yes party member) was spouting. Needless to say I took him to task. Chris.S.
My father was a Grammar School teacher for 40 years, retiring in 1985. Schools were left wing then and still are, only worse. Of a staff of around 35, there were only 3 known Conservatives. I have no problem with folk being left wing, but always ask them why - most cannot answer! If they have good reason, I will always respect that.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2020, 09:08   #26
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

So actually nobody from the Guardian then, They just advertise there.
There are plenty of instances we can pick on in both directions. Andrew Neil (not a Guardian chap as far as I'm aware) grilling the Labour leader before the election then the BBC giving the Conservative bumbler an easier ride with Marr after he'd bottled springs to mind. The coverage given to Farage, a ex-stockbroker who couldn't get elected no matter how many times he tried was just astounding.

Perhaps the BBC was more representative before the country swung to the right under Thatcher. If you think about it we used to have a mixed economy where we owned 47% of the housing, all of our utilities and most of our heavy industry. I've just found a 1951 Festival of Britain Crown. With it is the original slip translating the inscription round the edge. It says "By the industry of its people the State flourishes". Can you imagine such a thing today? But that is where we were.

In my opinion the BBC is the last great institution from the Britain of my youth and I'll be sad to see it go. I realise that I am out of step and it seems the majority feel differently so here we are.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.

Last edited by SideValve; 10th October 2020 at 14:54..
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2020, 15:36   #27
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I apologise, you did indeed say "recruited VIA the Guardian" as opposed to FROM The Guardian. My mistake.

I don't know how many people are actually recruited via newspaper adverts these days, I imagine most of it is done via the internet & agencies.

A quick look at the main BBC presenters reveals:
Laura Kuenssberg has worked for the BBC for over 20 years since leaving university in Washington.
Nick Robinson is ex President of the Oxford University Conservative Association and has worked for the BBC on and off for over 30 years.
Andrew Neil started his career working for the Conservative Party before joining Rupert Murdoch's Sunday Times.
Fiona Bruce joined the BBC over 30 years ago after leaving Oxford and having jobs in management consulting & advertising.
Andrew Marr, son of a investment trust manager, has had many roles including The Economist, a strong proponent of free market economics, and The Independent from where he was reportedly sacked after likening Tony Blair to John Major - which I doubt either liked very much...
Fiona Bruce was recruited through a personal connection, I cannot find any info on how the other were recruited. Looking at their backgrounds gives little indication of them being ardent Guardian readers at the time they joined although I expect with their current roles they now read all sorts of media.

Forgive me if I still remain a little sceptical about the claimed left-wing bias. I still believe that it gives a reasonably balanced (sometimes arguably too balanced) view of the issues of the day. A lot of people seem to feel it is too negative for not taking a more positive stance on Brexit and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson and Dominic Cummin's government but I guess only time and history will give a proper perspective. Like I say, I will miss it when its gone.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
Old 10th October 2020, 16:36   #28
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Incidentally I've just taken a look at the Guardian, Times, Telegraph & Daily Mail job sections. The Guardian is the only one with a dedicated section for Journalism.

Guardian Media jobs 208, Journalism 24
Telegraph Media & Digital 101, Journalism 0
Times Marketing & Media 16, Journalism 0

I guess that makes it a natural place to both look for and to advertise jobs in Journalism.

Having said that, there are currently 14 journalism jobs on the BBC's own career page none of which seem to be advertised in The Guardian.
Old 10th October 2020, 18:29   #29
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

For those that may have forgotten, Maitlis opened the show by talking about Dominic Cummings’ controversial trip to his parents’ house in Durham, 260 miles from his London home, during lockdown.
She said: ‘Dominic Cummings broke the rules, the country can see that, and it’s shocked the government cannot. The longer ministers and Prime Minister tell us he worked within them, the more angry the response to this scandal is likely to be. He was the man, remember, who always got the public mood, he tagged the lazy label of “elite” on those who disagreed. He should understand that public mood now. One of fury, contempt, and anguish. He made those who struggled to keep to the rules feel like fools, and has allowed many more to assume they can now flout them. The Prime Minister knows all this, but despite the resignation of one minister, growing unease from his backbenchers, a dramatic early warning from the polls, and a deep national disquiet, Boris Johnson has chosen to ignore it. Tonight, we consider what this blind loyalty tells us about the workings of Number 10. We do not expect to be joined by a government minister, but that won’t stop us asking the question.’

I guess she could have toned it down a bit by saying "some in the country" and, instead of "public mood" perhaps "the mood of many". She could also have added "to many others Dominic Cummins is a genius who can do no wrong".
I also think the words "blind loyalty" might be contentious. We don't know if Johnson is blind to Cummins contempt for the average brit or whether he actually feels the same way.
However, overall, I thought it was spot on.
Old 10th October 2020, 20:16   #30
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Possibly. Looking at it sentence by sentence.

Dominic Cummings broke the rules, the country can see that, and it’s shocked the government cannot.
I guess it would have been fact if she had said "many in the country are shocked etc." Many in the country were not the least bit shocked.

The longer ministers and Prime Minister tell us he worked within them, the more angry the response to this scandal is likely to be.
I'd class this as fact, although after a while most people's anger just turned to dismissal or dispair.

He was the man, remember, who always got the public mood, he tagged the lazy label of “elite” on those who disagreed.
Arguably fact. Cummins is regarded by his fans, especially Johnson, as the man who got the public mood. Others might have felt he was just a deluded charlatan.

He should understand that public mood now. One of fury, contempt, and anguish.
Fact, although I think it was mostly fury.

He made those who struggled to keep to the rules feel like fools, and has allowed many more to assume they can now flout them.
Fact.

The Prime Minister knows all this, but despite the resignation of one minister, growing unease from his backbenchers, a dramatic early warning from the polls, and a deep national disquiet, Boris Johnson has chosen to ignore it.
Opinion. We dont know that Johnson chose to ignore it, it might be that he was just too spineless to do anything about it.

Tonight, we consider what this blind loyalty tells us about the workings of Number 10.
Fact - they went on to do exactly that.

We do not expect to be joined by a government minister, but that won’t stop us asking the question.
Fact

A revised version might be:
Dominic Cummins has said he acted "reasonably" and within the law by making his 260 mile journey to Durham
Government guidelines stated: "You should not be visiting family members who do not live in your home." And at the time, the advice was that anyone with symptoms should isolate for seven days, with a 14-isolation for those around them.
Cummins' journalist wife has told of how ill he was and that an oxygen test indicated he should be in hospital.
Mr Cummins admitted making the journey but claimed it was necessary to take his wife and children to his parents estate on his wife's birthday as he needed to test his eyesight.
Of the guidance the Prime Minister said, "If you don’t follow the rules the police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines"
The local police say they have spoken to Mr Cummins, No10 deny this.
No action is being taken.
End of topic . Roll credits.